Mike Pence, Ambitious Outsider, Gets the G.O.P. to Come Around

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Maybe Pence is a better pick then I thought. Liberals can read the article, tax Xlax and have at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/17/u...utsider-gets-the-gop-to-come-around.html?_r=0

As time passed, it became clear that Mr. Pence wasn’t so much out of sync as he was out in front of the rise of the hard-right Republicans who hold such sway in the House today.

Within a few years, the outsider was on the inside as a member of the Republican leadership he had tormented. Earmarks were prohibited, and insistence on spending cuts was an essential part of the Republican agenda.

“In the end, it came in our direction,” said Senator Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona. As a House member, Mr. Flake joined Mr. Pence in racing to the floor from their adjoining offices in the Cannon building to thwart late-night leadership efforts to sneak through objectionable bills when few were paying attention.

Given his very limited number of options, Trump made a good pick.

Seems to me that, when confronted with the "you guys disagree on many issues" question, the smartest response would be to embrace it. Trump should be saying that it would be helpful to have someone that close to him challenging his viewpoints, something like that.

Seems to me that, when confronted with the "you guys disagree on many issues" question, the smartest response would be to embrace it. Trump should be saying that it would be helpful to have someone that close to him challenging his viewpoints, something like that.

Trump doesn't even need to do that. Every major cable news network is employing pundits to do it for him. They want a close race and they will say or do whatever it takes to get one.

Trump doesn't even need to do that. Every major cable news network is employing pundits to do it for him. They want a close race and they will say or do whatever it takes to get one.

OH, OK, that is why Mrs. Tuzla is helping them. Now I get it.

Maybe Pence is a better pick then I thought. Liberals can read the article, tax Xlax and have at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/17/u...utsider-gets-the-gop-to-come-around.html?_r=0

As time passed, it became clear that Mr. Pence wasn’t so much out of sync as he was out in front of the rise of the hard-right Republicans who hold such sway in the House today.

Within a few years, the outsider was on the inside as a member of the Republican leadership he had tormented. Earmarks were prohibited, and insistence on spending cuts was an essential part of the Republican agenda.

“In the end, it came in our direction,” said Senator Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona. As a House member, Mr. Flake joined Mr. Pence in racing to the floor from their adjoining offices in the Cannon building to thwart late-night leadership efforts to sneak through objectionable bills when few were paying attention.

Mr. Pence was a smart pick by Trump, but that's not going to be enough. Donald Trump has made himself very unpopular with his ugly and abrasive attacks on Latinos and others, in addition, Hillary Clinton's ground game is many times bigger and better financed than Trump's, who has tried to do everything on the cheap. A solid ground game is worth 4 points in those swing states in getting voters to the polls. - Advantage Hillary

Forum List

Back