Microwave bacon works...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Y'all probably already know this...but if you don't, I did it...and it worked.

If you like your bacon crystalized crisp, you'll like it out of the microwave.

Took four minutes in my nuker.

Microwave safe plate, a paper towel or two on the plate, bacon on the paper towel, a paper towel or two on top...

...the website said four pieces of bacon...but my bacon was waaaay too long for that...did two strips torn in half to make up four half strips at a time.

Website said 4-6 minute. I started peekin' at 3½ minutes. Did a whole 12oz pack. Some were done at 3:40...some took up to 4:10.

They were crisp enough to easily crush and add to macaroni salad.

Only downside is you lose that delicious bacon grease.

Link...

I tried it like 40+ years ago and found it really killed the flavor. That and I don't care for over-cooked (crisp) bacon.

Oddly enough the old George Foreman Grill made some kick-ass bacon plus you could reserve the grease! I used it all the time at hunt camp when it was just me and my dad there.

I tried it like 40+ years ago and found it really killed the flavor. That and I don't care for over-cooked (crisp) bacon.

Oddly enough the old George Foreman Grill made some kick-ass bacon plus you could reserve the grease! I used it all the time at hunt camp when it was just me and my dad there.
Usually I make it in the oven...but Mrs. MO was using the oven and the range top.

I needed super crispy bacon and it worked well for that.

But the loss of that bacon grease...that a terrible toll to take...but if I was in a hurry, I'd do it again.

The air fryer has replaced George's grill...might give that a try next time.

The worlds BEST Bacon...and happens to be the worlds healthiest bacon.
And it gives you a 30 yr old Mike Tyson Physique.
GPPX7.png

A veritable "Who's Who" list of Americas future triple bypass recipients and stroke victims. :auiqs.jpg:
Good grief my man.

My grandad ate bacon or sausage or scrapple or ham every morning with so much grease on his plate his eggs floated on top of it.

And after he finished, he's sop up every drop with a biscuit made with lard.

...and lived to be 93.

If you like your bacon crystalized crisp, you'll like it out of the microwave.

Actually, if you don't smother the bacon in towels soaking up every drop and don't nuke it as long, you can make the bacon to any degree of doneness you want! And adjust the cooking time by its thinness and flip it over half way through.

Good grief my man.

My grandad ate bacon or sausage or scrapple or ham every morning with so much grease on his plate his eggs floated on top of it.

And after he finished, he's sop up every drop with a biscuit made with lard.

...and lived to be 93.

Same with my grandparents. I do like to fry mine, then do my eggs in the same pan, and we save the grease to use in other foods as well. My wife did the turkey bacon thing for a while, and they did fine in the MW, used them on BLT's, where the grease wasn't wanted or as 'bacon bits'.

Most bacon is already cooked before you buy it, you can eat it right out of the package. Kind of nasty and gross though, not nearly as flavorful.

Microwave bacon is disgusting they add so many chemicals to make it shelf stable that there's basically no nutritional value left.

If I do eat bacon I buy fresh bacon from a butcher and slice it myself.

Microwave bacon is disgusting they add so many chemicals to make it shelf stable that there's basically no nutritional value left.

If I do eat bacon I buy fresh bacon from a butcher and slice it myself.
This was fresh bacon.

I can't even imagine what goes into that shelf stable stuff.

This was fresh bacon.

I can't even imagine what goes into that shelf stable stuff.

I either raise my own hogs or pay a farmer to fatten one for me. I have them butchered at a local meat cutter's plant, since I never got very good at that, it's a skill butchers do every day so they're worth the extra cost as they get the most out of an animal.

The worlds BEST Bacon...and happens to be the worlds healthiest bacon.
And it gives you a 30 yr old Mike Tyson Physique.
GPPX7.png

I might try those and if they have a good flavor worth the cost I'll buy them again, but I kind of doubt they will taste as good as my corn and mineral fed hogs do.

Most of the 'preservatives' in bacon is merely salt, and a little food coloring. Soak it in hot water for a while and you get rid of most of that.

Most of the 'preservatives' in bacon is merely salt, and a little food coloring. Soak it in hot water for a while and you get rid of most of that.
True enough...but the pink salt does create nitrates that are supposed to be unhealthy...but who knows...what was unhealthy last year is almost always deemed healthy again the next year.

True enough...but the pink salt does create nitrates that are supposed to be unhealthy...but who knows...what was unhealthy last year is almost always deemed healthy again the next year.

No problem with me; at my age I need all the preservatives I can get.

The Wife and I tried the cook the bacon in a little water trick last weekend and while it was crispy you lost a lot of the flavor.

Forum List

Back