Microsoft releasing emergency patch for perilous IE flaw

Patches?

No thanks. I prefer an invisible seam.

It's more costly, granted, but those patches look so tacky.

If you run XP then you can enable automatic updates and as soon as you boot and XP runs then it will start to download the updates (you'll see a little yellow icon in the bottom toolbar usually on the right hand side).

I'm running XP Pro and until earlier this year when a Microsoft patch clobbered all my ATI drivers I used automatic updates. After that fiasco I backed off that option so that I'm notified whenever updates are available. Now I research every one before allowing the download/install. Also, FWIW, I have my weekly backup setup to run on Monday night because their updates usually filter in on Tuesday.

The posts in this thread are almost surreal.

It really beggars belief that Microsoft can make what is IMO such a godawful operating system and people just keep buying it.

It really beggars belief that Microsoft can make what is IMO such a godawful operating system and people just keep buying it.

Cuz they make deals with PC manufacturers to include it as part of the software package. People should at least know not to rely on IE as their sole browser.

I'm running XP Pro and until earlier this year when a Microsoft patch clobbered all my ATI drivers I used automatic updates. After that fiasco I backed off that option so that I'm notified whenever updates are available. Now I research every one before allowing the download/install. Also, FWIW, I have my weekly backup setup to run on Monday night because their updates usually filter in on Tuesday.

All good, I've never had a problem with auto updates on the XP machine and on the Ubuntu machine the updater tells me when anything needs to be updated and then it's sudo apt-get update and I'm in business.

It's easy to use, that's the attraction. And you don't have to shell out big bucks as you have to to get a Mac. Anyway I'm sorry I wouldn't go near a Mac because if I broke it I'd have to pay someone to fix it. I prefer to fix my own when I break them.

My entry to personal computers was first via Amstrad (using a language called Mallard Basic which was fun to play with) and then a couple of MS-DOS machines before getting into Windows 3.0 (I still have the floppies cos I'm a hoarder) and then 3.1 and then 95 and XP and that's it. My Windows machine (I use it for business because it has Office and there are compatability issues with some people I work with as a contractor - not part of my day job I mean) is just there for work. That machine can't run anything higher than XP but it's fine for what I want it for. My primary computer runs Ubuntu and I'm extremely happy with it.

Firefox Myths:

Firefox Myths

If nothing else read the Conclusion near the bottom of the page.

Experience is the only way to find out which is really better. Firefox still renders pages better, and it can be more secure than IE if you know a little about how web design works (hint: disable all Javascript except trusted sites and set Java AND Flash as blocked until selected). So ... yeah, they all have their ups and downs, but FF still is better for most people and IE6 (the one they use for comparison) is not HTML4 compatible, so many sites will render wrong now.

Experience is the only way to find out which is really better. Firefox still renders pages better, and it can be more secure than IE if you know a little about how web design works (hint: disable all Javascript except trusted sites and set Java AND Flash as blocked until selected). So ... yeah, they all have their ups and downs, but FF still is better for most people and IE6 (the one they use for comparison) is not HTML4 compatible, so many sites will render wrong now.

Chrome has quickly become my browser of choice. I also like Opera, FF, and Maxthon 2.

Well ... actually Windoze was not even the OS that made Microsoft so popular, it was their DOS. MS-DOS was one of the first OS's to be released and it was stable yet. What made them so popular was because almost all PC's had MS-DOS as the primary OS. They added Windoze as a GUI wrap to their DOS later, which merely added what is commonly called the "human interface" to their system. This was also extremely stable, though it didn't have a pretty look and was not as well organized it was the first to compete with Apple's GUI. Because it became so widely used by so many MS got more contracts with companies to install and maintain their OS and GUI on computers. Windoze was then evolved into the more advanced versions (I remember ooohing and aaaahing about 95). Though these versions had issues they were still structured with the MS-DOS kernel and when they became unstable could fall back to the kernel. It was still a good OS and GUI package then.

Then Bill started handing the company over to an idiot, which resulted in XP ... a HUGE mistake. XP combined the kernel with the GUI (which results in two inherent errors). XP was not only less secure because of being integrated into the kernel it also became less stable. It was prettier but you have to sacrifice too much for that. In the mean time Apple makes a brilliant move and decides to advance their OS into larger domains while keeping the GUI and kernel separate (using a *nix based system as the kernel, yes that's like Linux and Unix). Their next release will even allow *nix generic software to run, while MS is instead restricting their newer OS's to not include compatibility (this will ruin them eventually). Now the only two strong OS's with GUI's are Ubuntu for free or Mac if you have little computer experience. Yes, for those who don't know, MacOS can run on Intell architectures (IBM style CPUs).

So in response to the possibility of losing out they release Vista (even worse than XP). Vista is written to have appeal for all the graphic lovers, but is over-integrated (thus why IE actually uses less resources because it's using widgets built in). The biggest flaw with this is that many software companies that have been making games for a long time will stop making two versions (now that Mac will be able to run more *nix code) and will eventually just choose *nix compatible libraries to avoid the costly copyrights for Vista (and future versions) of Windoze. Even Sun is pondering getting rid of their other versions of Java and focusing on *nix kernels since it's easy to add more to them while MS is making it harder.

Okay, enough ranting from me on tech for a bit. LOL

Chrome has quickly become my browser of choice. I also like Opera, FF, and Maxthon 2.

*pouts* I am mad at Google, they use Ubuntu but they aren't making Chrome for Linux. But then Firefox just rules in Linux and the OS has no issues with it at all. I just want to try Chrome. I don't like Opera for one reason, I can't get it configured right for Java. It just won't run Java applets with remote resources well.

*pouts* I am mad at Google, they use Ubuntu but they aren't making Chrome for Linux. But then Firefox just rules in Linux and the OS has no issues with it at all. I just want to try Chrome. I don't like Opera for one reason, I can't get it configured right for Java. It just won't run Java applets with remote resources well.

I downloaded a Chrome for linux. It isn't very stable though - not sure who got it running. I wonder if it works in WINE?

I downloaded a Chrome for linux. It isn't very stable though - not sure who got it running. I wonder if it works in WINE?

You probably are running it through WINE. The WINE scripts are capable of running as programs so some people have made actual installs that setup through WINE (a nifty little thing). All I have found are the WINE installs though, I prefer not to use it if I don't have to (and I don't have to yet). Chrome is unstable through WINE. Google has said they will release a true Linux version some day just for us who want to play with it, but since they are not in competition with Firefox and Firefox is a release navigator for Linux they aren't in a hurry. But it looks so pretty and may be fun for quick trips to the web.

Oh, if not WINE then a Crossover code, which is just as unstable.

Last edited:
So in response to the possibility of losing out they release Vista (even worse than XP). Vista is written to have appeal for all the graphic lovers, but is over-integrated (thus why IE actually uses less resources because it's using widgets built in). The biggest flaw with this is that many software companies that have been making games for a long time will stop making two versions (now that Mac will be able to run more *nix code) and will eventually just choose *nix compatible libraries to avoid the costly copyrights for Vista (and future versions) of Windoze.

See, the thing about this is, I have been running XP Pro since release. Still run it. Never had stability problems, and I use the hell out of it 9and for a variety of things). Vista gave me more trouble initially, but it has been a long time since I've even had an issue with that one.

My Mac locked up a lot though. Hated that p.o.s. :)

You probably are running it through WINE. The WINE scripts are capable of running as programs so some people have made actual installs that setup through WINE (a nifty little thing). All I have found are the WINE installs though, I prefer not to use it if I don't have to (and I don't have to yet). Chrome is unstable through WINE. Google has said they will release a true Linux version some day just for us who want to play with it, but since they are not in competition with Firefox and Firefox is a release navigator for Linux they aren't in a hurry. But it looks so pretty and may be fun for quick trips to the web.

Oh, if not WINE then a Crossover code, which is just as unstable.

It isn't WINE. It is, in fact, a crossover. I recognize the term now that you posted it.

Forum List

Back