Micro-Machines! This Is Something Else! Unlimited Applications and Potential!

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
I found this fantastic web page about micro or Nano Technology.

I thought that this was still something, way in the future, but no, it's here folks.

check out this webpage and the images! Once at the webpage you can click, "categorys", and theres many more fantastic pictures!

http://mems.sandia.gov/scripts/images.asp

gc7tn.jpg

An example....These gears are no bigger than a human blood cell!

steamengine-tn.jpg

Triple-Piston Microsteam Engine
Water inside of three compression cylinders is heated by electric current and vaporizes, pushing the piston out. Capillary forces then retract the piston once current is removed

sg6tn.jpg

Grain of Pollen and Red Blood Cells
Drive gear chain and linkages, with a grain of pollen (top right) and coagulated red blood cells (lower right, top left) to demonstrate scale.

Anyway......can you see future applications? I remember that movie many years ago where they shrunk these scientists into tiny little microscopic sized people and put them into a little micro-submarine and injected them into a human vein. I can picture these micro-machines getting small enough to have medical application, and of course other areas of technology too.

I think that move was called, "Fantastic Voyage"? Wasn't Raquel Welch in it

Eightball said:
I found this fantastic web page about micro or Nano Technology.

I thought that this was still something, way in the future, but no, it's here folks.

check out this webpage and the images! Once at the webpage you can click, "categorys", and theres many more fantastic pictures!

http://mems.sandia.gov/scripts/images.asp

gc7tn.jpg

An example....These gears are no bigger than a human blood cell!

steamengine-tn.jpg

Triple-Piston Microsteam Engine
Water inside of three compression cylinders is heated by electric current and vaporizes, pushing the piston out. Capillary forces then retract the piston once current is removed

sg6tn.jpg

Grain of Pollen and Red Blood Cells
Drive gear chain and linkages, with a grain of pollen (top right) and coagulated red blood cells (lower right, top left) to demonstrate scale.

Anyway......can you see future applications? I remember that movie many years ago where they shrunk these scientists into tiny little microscopic sized people and put them into a little micro-submarine and injected them into a human vein. I can picture these micro-machines getting small enough to have medical application, and of course other areas of technology too.

I think that move was called, "Fantastic Voyage"? Wasn't Raquel Welch in it

She sure was----both of her !! :teeth:

I sure hope this thread doesn't veer off on a "R.W." tangent.

It's the Nano-Technology that's got me excited.

I've got to concentrate on those kinds of things......Hey, I'm a married man! :teeth:

Eightball said:
I sure hope this thread doesn't veer off on a "R.W." tangent.

It's the Nano-Technology that's got me excited.

I've got to concentrate on those kinds of things......Hey, I'm a married man! :teeth:
Sorry---the machines are awesome---no telling what all can be done with em when they become affordable ! This stuff is better than space travel IMHO

Forum List

Back