Michael Sam quits citing mental health

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
See, I knew it was a mental disorder :)

Michael Sam tweets his departure from football, citing mental health

Michael Sam will step away from professional football, he announced via Twitter on Friday night.

Sam, the 25-year-old who began the season with the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, cited a tumultuous past year for leaving football at this time.

The Alouettes confirmed in a release that Sam has left the club for "personal reasons" and that he has been added to the team's suspended list.

Sam made the announcement in a series of tweets.

Michael Sam ‏@MichaelSamNFL 13h13 hours ago
The last 12 months have been very difficult for me, to the point where I became concerned with my mental health. Because of this I am 1/3

Michael Sam announces he is stepping away from football

I am sure he'll land on his knees somewhere. lol.

He left once before citing personal reasons so this is the second time he left the same team. They won't take him back again.

Meh. I played football in college at Furman. Even college football is very demanding and stressful and that was at the second tier. I can't imagine how brutal it is at the elite level like Ohio State or Alabama....much less pro ball.

He was a marginal prospect at best....despite liberals bitching about how it was discrimination that he didn't make it just because he was an ALL SEC player in college. Yeah...well....Tim Tebow got cut too....and he was THE single best player in college when he played.

As a football guy...I wish Sam luck. Few cultures in society are as purely performance based than football. They don't give a shit about diversity or fairness. Just perform. Of course....Libs are trying to destroy that culture.

Sam didnt make it for two reasons. He's a tweener. NFL defensive linemen are usually a bit taller and leaner due to the new pass oriented offenses. He beat college linemen with speed...which everyone in the pros have...he just wasn't long limbed enough to create separation from the massive NFL linemen.

Second....he wasn't agile enough to move to linebacker the way former elite defensive ends like Jadeveon Clowney and Peter Boulware did.

I'm a fan of Sam the football player. I love SEC football and he was ferocious at Missouri.

Just not an NFL.fit.

I give the man a pass on this. He's an alpha male who is realizing he isn't going to make a profession out of his alpha male dream. This probably happens to a lot of athletes and CEO hopefuls and guys who wanna be SEALs and stuff.

That moment when you realize you were really good at something. ..but reached your ceiling and some others are just better. It's hard.

A lot of college football players go through this identity crisis. They play all 4 years in college...dabble in pro tryouts and minor leagues hoping to catch on....and that slow realization that "it's over....now what?". Him also being seen by the LGBT community as a national hero can't help. Even more pressure.

It's actually sad to say. But he'd have been better off staying in the closet. The added mental pressure maybe broke him. Football at the D1 college and pro levels demands and WILL take everything you have mentally.

good grief, the guy wasn't any good to begin with. He would have been know FOR NOTHING if not for ESPN making a freak show out of him.

good grief, the guy wasn't any good to begin with. He would have been know FOR NOTHING if not for ESPN making a freak show out of him.

He was an outstanding college player. SEC defensive player of the year.

But....like Tebow...his skill set just wasn't NFL quality.

But yeah...He'd be forgotten already if he wasn't gay.

Forum List

Back