Michael Bloomberg on marijuana: Legalizing 'another addictive narcotic' is perhaps 'stupidest thing

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
...anybody has ever done'!!!!

Hey Mike, you are running as as a douchebag. not a Repiblican!. That statement would help you on the right in the general (which you will never make), but certainly with the huge DRUG CULTURE of the left has effectively just ended your BILLION dollar campaign!

---------'

Former New York City Mayor—and potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate—Michael Bloomberg called efforts to legalize marijuana "perhaps the stupidest thing anybody has ever done."

Speaking at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, on Tuesday, Bloomberg said on the subject, according to WBNG-TV:

"We have a different kind of problem in America, for example. Last year, in 2017, 72,000 Americans [overdosed] on drugs. In 2018, more people than that are OD-ing on drugs, have OD'd on drugs. And today, incidentally, we are trying to legalize another addictive narcotic, which is perhaps the stupidest thing anybody has ever done. We've got to fight that, and that's another thing that Bloomberg Philanthropies will work on it in public health."

(Excerpt) Read more at newsweek.com ...

Hey Mike, you are running as as a douchebag. not a Repiblican!. That statement would help you on the right in the general (which you will never make), but certainly with the huge DRUG CULTURE of the left has effectively just ended your BILLION dollar campaign!

---------'

Former New York City Mayor—and potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate—Michael Bloomberg called efforts to legalize marijuana "perhaps the stupidest thing anybody has ever done."

Speaking at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, on Tuesday, Bloomberg said on the subject, according to WBNG-TV:

"We have a different kind of problem in America, for example. Last year, in 2017, 72,000 Americans [overdosed] on drugs. In 2018, more people than that are OD-ing on drugs, have OD'd on drugs. And today, incidentally, we are trying to legalize another addictive narcotic, which is perhaps the stupidest thing anybody has ever done. We've got to fight that, and that's another thing that Bloomberg Philanthropies will work on it in public health."

Wow, I actually agree with him on something. This will NOT sit well with the Dems.

I'll give Trump props if he legalizes it

Trump can't legalize it. Only Congress can. It's listed as a Schedule I narcotic on the Controlled Substances Act.

Even if Congress removes it from the CSA, it's still up to the states to determine if it's criminalized under state law, per the 10th Amendment.

See SCOTUS decision Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005)

Last edited:
This the same guy that bans Big Gulps and the chips too? What I enjoy after a one hit or two? Something no one will ever prevent me from enjoying?
Fuck him, the statist bitch.

Trump can't legalize it. Only Congress can. It's listed as a Schedule I narcotic on the Controlled Substances Act.

Even if Congress removes it from the CSA, it's still up to the states to determine if it's criminalized under state law, per the 10th Amendment.
My state doesn't care what yours does about it. I'll raise a beer to Trump if corrects the fed gubmint's mistake. I doubt he will, but the beer is waiting.

Which itself is a total travesty.

100% agreed. The issue emphasized in Raich to support Congress giving it the Sched I listing (i.e., no medicinal purpose) was that it is impossible to standardize the level of THC in the plant. Hence, the later pharmaceutical version called dronabinol (brand name "Marinol") which is THC that comes in a pill. That said, my dad was prescribed that drug with his cancer treatment and absolutely hated it.

My state doesn't care what yours does about it. I'll raise a beer to Trump if corrects the fed gubmint's mistake. I doubt he will, but the beer is waiting.

The feds have all but stopped enforcing the CSA with regard to growing and selling pot, as long as the state has approved it for medicinal use, and the grower/seller is licensed by the state. That was the issue in Raich (DEA busting a grower licensed by the state of California to grow under Cali Compassionate Use Act). That is a footnote in history now. Numerous states have either decriminalized it or passed medical marijuana laws (including my state of Florida).

As for the CSA, all Trump could do is recommend that Congress remove pot, but it would be a rather meaningless series of actions since it's already left to the states now -- the presence on the CSA is a dormant detail that is not being enforced.

Last edited:

The feds have all but stopped enforcing the CSA with regard to pot growing, as long as the state has approved it for medicinal use, and the grower is licensed by the state. That was the issue in Raich (DEA busting a grower licensed by the state of California to grow under Cali Compassionate Use Act). That is a footnote in history now. Numerous states have either decriminalized it or passed medical marijuana laws (including my state of Florida).

As for the CSA, all Trump could do is recommend that Congress remove pot, but it would be a rather meaningless series of actions since it's already left to the states now -- the presence on the CSA is a dormant detail that is not being enforced.
[/QUOTE]
Just wondering if you are a Dem. Or Rep. Just a point of fact!

The feds have all but stopped enforcing the CSA with regard to pot growing, as long as the state has approved it for medicinal use, and the grower is licensed by the state. That was the issue in Raich (DEA busting a grower licensed by the state of California to grow under Cali Compassionate Use Act). That is a footnote in history now. Numerous states have either decriminalized it or passed medical marijuana laws (including my state of Florida).

Is that a serious question? I am most certainly not a Dem, as I have a functioning brain (no offense intended to my Dem friends on here, assuming they actually picked up on the slight).

Is that a serious question? I am most certainly not a Dem, as I have a functioning brain (no offense intended to my Dem friends on here, assuming they actually picked up on the slight).
Quite serious, as having 3 friends die from drugs. All starting from smoking weed as far back as high school in the late 50's, has given me a different perspective on that shit.... have yet to have one die from drinking, which was also prevalent back then until today....perhaps I am just lucky!

Quite serious, as having 3 friends die from drugs. All starting from smoking weed as far back as high school in the late 50's, has given me a different perspective on that shit.... have yet to have one die from drinking, which was also prevalent back then until today....perhaps I am just lucky!

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. As noted below, I've also lost close friends from drug use. Don't get me wrong, my posts were merely referencing the medicinal aspect of it under various state laws and current prescription version of THC, Marinol. I don't really have an opinion about it recreationally, as it is not something I personally enjoy. That said, you mention pot as being a "gateway" drug for the friends you referenced, but then compare alcohol as being something you've never lost anyone directly as a result of.

I'd suggest a more apt comparison would be whether alcohol was a gateway drug for anyone that has died from an overdose of a harder drug. Alternatively, staying with the direct comparison, the analogy would be whether anyone has died directly from use of marijuana.

I've also lost friends from drug use (oxy -- 1 OD and 1 car accident), and they were heavy drinkers in high school/college but not pot smokers. Thus, I don't really subscribe to the gateway drug theory. I don't deny it for anyone else though, based on their own experiences. Loss is all relative.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. As noted below, I've also lost close friends from drug use. Don't get me wrong, my posts were merely referencing the medicinal aspect of it under various state laws and current prescription version of THC, Marinol. I don't really have an opinion about it recreationally, as it is not something I personally enjoy. That said, you mention pot as being a "gateway" drug for the friends you referenced, but then compare alcohol as being something you've never lost anyone directly as a result of.

I'd suggest a more apt comparison would be whether alcohol was a gateway drug for anyone that has died from an overdose of a harder drug. Alternatively, staying with the direct comparison, the analogy would be whether anyone has died directly from use of marijuana.

I've also lost friends from drug use (oxy -- 1 OD and 1 car accident), and they were heavy drinkers in high school/college but not pot smokers. Thus, I don't really subscribe to the gateway drug theory. I don't deny it for anyone else though, based on their own experiences. Loss is all relative.
At one time in my varied life I was a NYPD officer for over 10 years, and had responsibilities in the narcotics division...NEVER, and I strongly repeat that. NEVER did I or any other officers I knew of come across any drug user or dealer that had anything at all to do with alcohol consumption. My LIFE EXPERIENCE seems to be directly opposite yours. Perhaps the difference is having to handle the situations of the BIG CITY where MOST of the people I dealt with were black and Hispanic....an easy, cheap, conduit to wealth in the many areas of poverty in the Rotten Apple.....something the children looked up to as a Lincoln Continental or big Caddy was THE STATUS symbol of the times back 30-40 years ago...unlike the BMW of today and the newer Maserati's that the BOYS now cruise in!

---------'

Does this really surprise you coming from a guy that made a law on the size of soft drinks places could sell...

Are you sure they didn't die of old age?

---------'

Does this really surprise you coming from a guy that made a law on the size of soft drinks places could sell...
Why yes it does!... One would think as he runs LEFT that drug legalization would naturally play an affirmative reaction from a guy who should know what the people he is trying to persuade actually think about issues. But then again, he is in his own little world where reality to his surroundings are of minor use to a man surrounded by people that cater to his every desire....HE was never a man, like Trump that understood what was truly happening!

Are you sure they didn't die of old age?
Apparently YOU can't tell the difference!....It is not like the FLU did them in!

Forum List

Back