Mexico Approves Same Sex Marriage

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/world/americas/11mexico.html?ref=todayspaper

Mexico is not alone among Latin American nations in doing so. Late last year, Argentina also approved same sex marriage.

One has to ask why the US cannot get it? There can hardly be less resistance to same sex marriage than flows from the RCC, and it surely has a deeper hold on these nations than ours. Why have they been able to move past bigotry and we are flagging behind?

Maybe the homos will start illegaly sneaking into Mexico.

• Banned
I don't care what that man likes. I have no respect for him, given his history.

Mebbe one reason that same sex marriage is now legal in Mexico and Argentina is his failure to provide authentic moral leadership to the RCC.

• Banned
The linked article says it was approved by the Mexican Supreme Court. Presumably it was a constitutional issue.

Well, good for Mexico. God knows they deserved some good news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/world/americas/11mexico.html?ref=todayspaper

Mexico is not alone among Latin American nations in doing so. Late last year, Argentina also approved same sex marriage.

One has to ask why the US cannot get it? There can hardly be less resistance to same sex marriage than flows from the RCC, and it surely has a deeper hold on these nations than ours. Why have they been able to move past bigotry and we are flagging behind?

How misleading. I knew there was no way that Mexico as a country had approved SSM, and I was right. All this does is forces the states in Mexico to recognize the marriages of people married in Mexico City as legitimate and legally valid.

The only place in Mexico that allows SSM is Mexico City, so saying the entire country allows them is misleading. This decision is no different than you getting married in California and moving to New York, you are also legally married in New York.

While the court made it clear that state governments were not obligated to enact same-sex marriage laws of their own, it did require them to recognize the legality of such marriages performed in Mexico City.
“What’s going to happen to a same-sex couple” who marry in Mexico City “when they cross the border” to another state, asked Justice Arturo Zaldívar, who voted with the majority, during Tuesday’s discussions. “Does this marriage disappear? They go on vacation and they’re no longer married?”

In the larger scheme of things this means very little.

that's fantastic.

let's adopt their immigration policies while we're at it.

420200990844AM9775_large.jpg

Damn, they make a beautiful couple

it's funny, i work in the restaurant industry (which means i work with a lot of mexicans) and from my experirence they are not the most tolerant and pro-gay people.

yes, it's just my experience and doesn't speak for a whole country, but i'm just saying...

it's funny, i work in the restaurant industry (which means i work with a lot of mexicans) and from my experirence they are not the most tolerant and pro-gay people.
How are Mexicans showing you they are the "most tolerant and pro-gay people".

first off, i said "they are not the most tolerant" people

how did they show me that? by mocking gay servers, insulting eachother by calling them fags. the usual.

but but but, i thought we had to allow gay marriage so we wouldnt be like a 3rd world country

first off, i said "they are not the most tolerant" people

how did they show me that? by mocking gay servers, insulting eachother by calling them fags. the usual.
My bad, I have seen it the same way, most Mexicans are anti-gay.

Forum List

Back