Mercury thermometers

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have one outside my backdoor and I think it was less than 5 dollars when I bought it. It hasn't worked in a long time and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them? I didn't know they could not work. It's in the upper 50's here the thermometer reads -10 degrees. ?

Have you checked the batteries?

Checked the mainspring, in case you wound it too tight?

Is it available on any Ford models other than the Mercury?

BTW, I have no idea about what the problem might be.

Check for cracks. Any cracks will render it useless.
If no cracks, try putting it in a freezer for a while. Sometimes they mercury will create a void.
Other than that, idk. They dont just go out of calibration.

Break it open and give to Real Dave, rderp or Billy, they eat the mercury

Remember how you used to have to shake down a thermometer to take somebody's temperature? The same thing happens to old outdoor stuff. Air and contaminants prevent the mercury flow. Junk the thermometer or keep it as a display and go to digital.

• Banned
It happens when people suck on the thermometers instead of just letting they rest on the tongue.

I guess the taste the mercury helps with that other taste.......
For years it has been nailed to my shed wall and no one that I know of has sucked on it. Unless you were that guy in my yard that night....

It happens when people suck on the thermometers instead of just letting they rest on the tongue.

I guess the taste the mercury helps with that other taste.......
For years it has been nailed to my shed wall and no one that I know of has sucked on it. Unless you were that guy in my yard that night....

My bad....I lost track of your being normal rather than a liberal!

Forum List

Back