Memorial Day was started by former slaves

And this is political? How exactly?

I find it very odd that people are so desperate to make a national commemoration into some kind of partisan or race baiting bullshit. There are plenty of issues to create division and faux outrage about... how about we respect our war dead enough to leave them the fuck out of political bullshit and race baiting crap?

Don't you get it? The more division you have, the easier it is to control the people?

Grant had a slave of his own didn't he?:lol:

----------You think Grant had a slave?! Better step away from the .

hallucinogens. In fact Grant was so poor that until he was made a 2 star General he could have almost been a slave!

hallucinogens. In fact Grant was so poor that until he was made a 2 star General he could have almost been a slave!

On August 22, 1848, Grant married Julia Dent from St. Louis, whose family held slaves. Grant himself owned a slave named William Jones, acquired from his father-in-law. At a time when he could have desperately used the money from the sale of Jones, Grant signed a document that gave him his freedom.

Facts About Ulysses S. Grant

Sooo...we're supposed to oppose Memorial Day now, huh, Lakhota?

You're going to be disappointed.

You would oppose Memorial Day because it was started by Blacks?
I see your reading comprehension is woefully lacking.

No, I would not oppose it. But idiot leftists and their absurd notions about conservatives would assume I'd oppose it.

On August 22, 1848, Grant married Julia Dent from St. Louis, whose family held slaves. Grant himself owned a slave named William Jones, acquired from his father-in-law. At a time when he could have desperately used the money from the sale of Jones, Grant signed a document that gave him his freedom.

Facts About Ulysses S. Grant

But then we also have this comment made by Grant
As those who are familiar with history know, General Grant and his wife held personal slaves before and during the War Between the States, and, contrary to popular opinion, even Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation did not free the slaves of the North. They were not freed until the Thirteenth Amendment was passed after the conclusion of the war. Grant's excuse for not freeing his slaves was that "good help is so hard to come by these days."
Grant stated "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

Chuck Baldwin -- Praise For Lee And Jackson

Sooo...we're supposed to oppose Memorial Day now, huh, Lakhota?

You're going to be disappointed.

No, I would not oppose it. But idiot leftists and their absurd notions about conservatives would assume I'd oppose it.

I was simply pointing out how stupid your question to Lakhota was.

I find it very odd that people are so desperate to make a national commemoration into some kind of partisan or race baiting bullshit. There are plenty of issues to create division and faux outrage about... how about we respect our war dead enough to leave them the fuck out of political bullshit and race baiting crap?

Don't you get it? The more division you have, the easier it is to control the people?

I called it 2nd post

Why are you being divisive? /s

See, any mention of blacks are seen as divisive by whites. Why are whites so offended by this is anyones guess.

I called it 2nd post

Why are you being divisive? /s

See, any mention of blacks are seen as divisive by whites. Why are whites so offended by this is anyones guess.

But we all know that lil bitch "Laquisha" was trying to make a piss poor point.

\/ \/ \/ \/

It wasn't a stupid question. His motivation for placing this thread in Politics is obvious, especially given his astounding misunderstanding of the conservative mindset.

But don't you DARE question his motives.

Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of former Union soldiers and sailors - the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) - established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared it should be May 30. The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. The cemetery already held the remains of 20,000 Union dead and several hundred Confederate dead.

Presided over by Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant and other Washington officials, the Memorial Day ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. After speeches, children from the Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns.

Local Observances Claim To Be First
Local springtime tributes to the Civil War dead already had been held in various places. One of the first occurred in Columbus, Miss., April 25, 1866, when a group of women visited a cemetery to decorate the graves of Confederate soldiers who had fallen in battle at Shiloh. Nearby were the graves of Union soldiers, neglected because they were the enemy. Disturbed at the sight of the bare graves, the women placed some of their flowers on those graves, as well.

Today cities in the North and the South claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day in 1866. Both Macon and Columbus, Ga., claim the title, as well as Richmond, Va. The village of Boalsburg, Pa., claims it began there two years earlier. A stone in a Carbondale, Ill., cemetery carries the statement that the first Decoration Day ceremony took place there on April 29, 1866. Carbondale was the wartime home of Gen. Logan. Approximately 25 places have been named in connection with the origin of Memorial Day, many of them in the South where most of the war dead were buried.

Official Birthplace Declared
In 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the "birthplace" of Memorial Day. There a ceremony on May 5, 1866, was reported to have honored local soldiers and sailors who had fought in the Civil War. Businesses closed and residents flew flags at half-mast. Supporters of Waterloo's claim say earlier observances in other places were either informal, not community-wide or one-time events.

By the end of the 19th century, Memorial Day ceremonies were being held on May 30 throughout the nation. State legislatures passed proclamations designating the day. The Army and Navy adopted regulations for proper observance at their facilities. It was not until after World War I, however, that the day was expanded to honor those who have died in all American wars. In 1971 Memorial Day was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress, and designated as the last Monday in May.

Memorial Day - Origins and History - Honoring our Veteran Ancestors - About Genealogy

It wasn't a stupid question. His motivation for placing this thread in Politics is obvious, especially given his astounding misunderstanding of the conservative mindset.

But don't you DARE question his motives.

The conservative mindset is pretty transparent.

According to Professor David Blight of Yale University, the first Memorial Day took place on May 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC, after a group of African-Americans, mostly former slaves, gave 257 Union soldiers a proper burial. The black community in Charleston then consecrated the new cemetary with “an unforgettable parade of 10,000 people,” led by 3,000 black school children. It was initially called “Decoration Day.”

Memorial Day was started by former slaves | ThinkProgress

Memorial Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, I did not know that.

According to Professor David Blight of Yale University, the first Memorial Day took place on May 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC, after a group of African-Americans, mostly former slaves, gave 257 Union soldiers a proper burial. The black community in Charleston then consecrated the new cemetary with “an unforgettable parade of 10,000 people,” led by 3,000 black school children. It was initially called “Decoration Day.”

Memorial Day was started by former slaves | ThinkProgress

Memorial Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, I did not know that.

Don't take her word or wikis or THINK PROGRESS word on the subject.

I called it 2nd post

But we all know that lil bitch "Laquisha" was trying to make a piss poor point.

\/ \/ \/ \/

Why does any mention of black gets you guys all worked up? Lakhota says Memorial day started by blacks and the response that he she is being divisive. Why do you or any other white person see black history as divisive?

Interesting read

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - July 19, 2006 -- A University of Illinois researcher had discovered a fourth copy of a rare letter Abraham Lincoln had written by to the nation's governors in 1861.

The letter John Lupton found Tuesday in the Lehigh County Historical Society's holdings was one Lincoln wrote as part of an unsuccessful ratification process for a constitutional amendment Congress adopted during the term of his predecessor, President James Buchanan, that would have made slavery the law of the land.

The president remembered for abolishing slavery had been willing to push the amendment as "kind of a carrot to the Southern states" if that would preserve the union, said Lupton, associate director of the Papers of Abraham Lincoln Project of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.

"But even by that point, it was too late. By that time, the Southern states felt Lincoln's election was an affront," Lupton said. In fact, the letter discovered in Allentown was addressed to "His Excellency the Governor of the State of Florida," which had seceded from the union two months earlier.

Until Tuesday, only three of the letters were known to have survived. "It's a very cool document," Lupton said.

Joseph Garrera, the historical society director, said he will consult with the society's board to determine the best way to display the document and try to figure out exactly who donated the letter.
Rare Lincoln Letter Found in Allentown 7/19/06 | 6abc.com

Interesting read

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - July 19, 2006 -- A University of Illinois researcher had discovered a fourth copy of a rare letter Abraham Lincoln had written by to the nation's governors in 1861.

The letter John Lupton found Tuesday in the Lehigh County Historical Society's holdings was one Lincoln wrote as part of an unsuccessful ratification process for a constitutional amendment Congress adopted during the term of his predecessor, President James Buchanan, that would have made slavery the law of the land.

The president remembered for abolishing slavery had been willing to push the amendment as "kind of a carrot to the Southern states" if that would preserve the union, said Lupton, associate director of the Papers of Abraham Lincoln Project of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.

"But even by that point, it was too late. By that time, the Southern states felt Lincoln's election was an affront," Lupton said. In fact, the letter discovered in Allentown was addressed to "His Excellency the Governor of the State of Florida," which had seceded from the union two months earlier.

Until Tuesday, only three of the letters were known to have survived. "It's a very cool document," Lupton said.

Joseph Garrera, the historical society director, said he will consult with the society's board to determine the best way to display the document and try to figure out exactly who donated the letter.
Rare Lincoln Letter Found in Allentown 7/19/06 | 6abc.com

You're speaking of that elusive missing 13th amendment:
"ARTICLE THIRTEEN, No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."
In other words, President Buchanan had signed a resolve that would have forever permitted slavery, and upheld states' rights. Only one State, Illinois, Lincoln's home state, had ratified this proposed amendment before the Civil War broke out in 1861. It appears at 12 Stat. 251, 36th Congress. Two more State legislatures ratified it, beginning with Ohio on May 13, 1861, followed by Maryland on January 10, 1862.
The Constitution For The United States, Its Sources and Its Applications - Amendment Articles XI - XXVII

Lincoln was about power and couldn't give two shits for slaves
Abraham Lincoln's Letter to Horace Greeley
If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them.

Forum List

Back