Memorial Day crosses for fallen soldiers removed after single complaint

This whining and political correctness bullshit needs to stop. Seriously

A Memorial Day display featuring dozens of white crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone complained.

The 79 handmade crosses in Hiram were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, officials told Fox News.

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

Leave the small crosses, moons or stars, etc. in memory of the soldiers. Why should other faith or lack of be offended or angered by the faith of others. Next we will have to be like Sweden and remove all symbols both in side and out?

If some one does not want to see crosses, cross the street and don't stare at the symbols.

Honoring soldiers is remembering the brave people and the sacrifice of those lost.

No, I would not put up a ten foot cross, but small 18" or so crosses/symbols, a flag and flowers is respectful.

Next they will be angered by a small rock left on tomb stones, ......................or colored ribbons, poppies or pins.
No shamrocks for the Irish?

Let people be.

Don't step on the crack and you won't break you mothers back
Avoid black cats and spilled salt...............

Don't be scared of symbols they have no power and will not hurt you.

To me if you don't want anything where your family's name is, just get rid of whatever may be there, but leave everyone else's spot alone. It is their property and no one else's.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
No, Misses Holly Otto, it was public property, not privately owned.
If the family is who pays for the burial spot, then it is privately owned and if they do not want certain things where their family's name is, they have every right to remove what they don't want on their property.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Oh and my last name is not Otto.

You know, there are MANY different religions that serve in the military. And, not all of them are Christian. Many are Jewish, some are Buddhist, and yes, some are even Muslim.

I don't think the families of people who aren't Christian, be they Islamic or Jewish or something else, would feel it's appropriate for their family member they lost in the military to be represented by a cross which is considered to largely be a Christian symbol.

It would have been better (and shown a bit more respect), if they had just put up small generic markers with the names of the fallen on them, with the symbol of whatever faith they practiced above their name.

Just like what they have at Arlington.

Forum List

Back