Memorial Day crosses for fallen soldiers removed after single complaint

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
This whining and political correctness bullshit needs to stop. Seriously

A Memorial Day display featuring dozens of white crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone complained.

The 79 handmade crosses in Hiram were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, officials told Fox News.

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

“If Hiram was willing to do a permanent veterans memorial, they offered to make a cash contribution, so I wouldn’t say they were really mad,” Mr. Atkinson said.

So a PERMANENT replacement was suggested........how horrible!

A Memorial Day display featuring dozens of white crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone complained.

The 79 handmade crosses in Hiram were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, officials told Fox News.

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of City Manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether a Christian display was appropriate.

Barry Atkinson is a ball-less sissy boy. Why even have a Memorial Day?

“They asked were all those fallen soldiers Christian, and the answer to that was not, they obviously weren’t,” Mr. Atkinson said, a local ABC News affiliate reported. “It opened our eyes that we missed something here, and we immediately took corrective action.

He said the caller offered to make a donation if the city decided to build a new memorial.

“If Hiram was willing to do a permanent veterans memorial, they offered to make a cash contribution, so I wouldn’t say they were really mad,” Mr. Atkinson said.

The crosses, planned and approved by Hiram Mayor Teresa Philyaw, were taken down Friday.

“It was never about religion — it was just to honor them,” Ms. Philyaw told Fox News Tuesday. “I was devastated when it had to come down.

At the time, it never, ever crossed my mind about the religious factor in it,” she said. “The cross is a ‘rest in peace’ symbol to me.”

A city council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday evening to debate the proper way in which to honor the fallen heroes, Fox News reported. Some Hiram residents said they are searching for a piece of private property where they can display all the crosses, ABC News reported.

“Whatever the choice is, a memorial of some kind will be displayed,” Ms. Philyaw said.

i feelya, never did it cross her mind, lol.

Barry Atkinson is a ball-less sissy boy. Why even have a Memorial Day?

If a cross bothers him he must be a whiny ass.

At the time, it never, ever crossed my mind about the religious factor in it,” she said. “The cross is a ‘rest in peace’ symbol to me.”

maybe she should have looked at what they have in Arlington National Cemetery

Arlington_National_Cemetery_graves.jpg

Sometimes you have to shrug your shoulders and say, big deal. It was a temporary memorial. And I hope they find someone to put up it on private property.

Not only are liberal whiners a pain in the ass they might be vampires. The cross is so repugnant to them I strongly suggest that they are vampires. I think we should throw some holy water at them.

Really? After this question they removed it?

I smell something here....smells like bull. Whoever put those out there knew they shouldnt. That can be the ONLY reason for a quick fold like that.

What the fuck did I tell you!! Click on the Whining OP's link. She FORGOT *winnk* to include the next paragraph

fta: “They asked were all those fallen soldiers Christian, and the answer to that was not, they obviously weren’t,” Mr. Atkinson said, a local ABC News affiliate reported. “It opened our eyes that we missed something here, and we immediately took corrective action.”

Ladies and Gentlemen it was not about 1 Compliant. The people realized they fucked up.

This whiny ass got stuffed.

Atheist Loses Lawsuit Against Church, Can Never Sue Again

Atheist activist Patrick Greene lost his lawsuit today against Abundant Life Fellowship Church in Corpus Christi, Texas—a church represented by First Liberty Institute—admitting that his lawsuit was “baseless,” and submitting to a court order never to bring such a frivolous lawsuit in the future.

Updating Breitbart Texas’ report by Lana Shadwick on Monday about Greene’s suing Abundant Life Fellowship when Pastor Rick Milby started building a 230-foot cross on his church’s property. Greene’s lawsuit claims that a church’s erecting of a cross on private property is unconstitutional because a local mayor and city council members attended the church’s groundbreaking ceremony.

Atheist Loses Lawsuit Against Church, Can Never Sue Again

I suppose a compromise to leave them out for this year and do something more appropriate next would be too easy and fair.

Whoever the person was, was willing to sacrifice fallen soldiers for their cause of religious persecution.

Sometimes you have to shrug your shoulders and say, big deal. It was a temporary memorial. And I hope they find someone to put up it on private property.
I don't see a problem if non governmental groups or individuals want to have this kind of temporary memorial on public property. I think it is a bit trickier if the local government was purchasing and displaying the crosses. People on both sides of this issue take it too far in my opinion.

I don't see a problem if non governmental groups or individuals want to have this kind of temporary memorial on public property. I think it is a bit trickier if the local government was purchasing and displaying the crosses. People on both sides of this issue take it too far in my opinion.

Agreed. Some people are always to looking to be offended over nonsense. This is one of those instances in my opinion. I thought it was a nice memorial.

To me if you don't want anything where your family's name is, just get rid of whatever may be there, but leave everyone else's spot alone. It is their property and no one else's.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Seems like the families of the soldiers would have standing to complain if they objected. Everyone else is just a busy body with nothing better to do.

The person who made the crosses was right, but so was the caller. Where this went wrong was not using common sense and not trying to see the others point of view. At the end of he day the crosses were meant to honor the soldiers - not to make a religious statement. In a common sense world the crosses would have stayed up until after Memorial Day, then a less religious permanent symbol would have been constructed to replace the crosses. Give a little, take a little. Everyone wins.

This is why this country fucking sucks.

Forum List

Back