Meet the new boss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheOne

Same as the old boss?.....

Not vouching for the veracity of this, but it is interesting.

Allawi shot prisoners in cold blood: witnesses
By Paul McGeough in Baghdad
July 17, 2004

Iyad Allawi, the new Prime Minister of Iraq, pulled a pistol and executed as many as six suspected insurgents at a Baghdad police station, just days before Washington handed control of the country to his interim government, according to two people who allege they witnessed the killings.

They say the prisoners - handcuffed and blindfolded - were lined up against a wall in a courtyard adjacent to the maximum-security cell block in which they were held at the Al-Amariyah security centre, in the city's south-western suburbs.

They say Dr Allawi told onlookers the victims had each killed as many as 50 Iraqis and they "deserved worse than death".

The Prime Minister's office has denied the entirety of the witness accounts in a written statement to the Herald, saying Dr Allawi had never visited the centre and he did not carry a gun.

But the informants told the Herald that Dr Allawi shot each young man in the head as about a dozen Iraqi policemen and four Americans from the Prime Minister's personal security team watched in stunned silence.

-snip-

article

I think that's extremely doubtful. That would be political suicide by Allawi.

A smear campaign by 'witnesses' or perhaps journalistic invention?

NightTrain said:
I think that's extremely doubtful. That would be political suicide by Allawi.

A smear campaign by 'witnesses' or perhaps journalistic invention?

You mean that journalists sometimes just 'make things up?' Ohhh! :D

freeandfun1 said:
even if it were true, not sure I would have a problem with it.

Sadly, a part of me agrees with you. Maybe the Iraqis are not ready for democracy yet and need the firm hand of a dictator to stay in line. It certainly would be a bitter pill to swallow after investing so much money and blood there. I shudder to think how the experience would shape future US humanitarian interventions if this ends up going sour.

1 2 3 4, what the hell are we fighting for?

Iraqis Hope Allawi Will Be Brutal Leader

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — He promises "annihilation" for his enemies and laughs off threats against his life. Capital punishment will be back, he says, and rumors racing through the streets have him personally shooting terrorists in cold blood.

To Iraqis hurting from months of violence and chaos, interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi (search) has developed the aura of a tough, perhaps brutal, leader. Surprisingly, that image has endeared him to many Iraqis, accustomed to strongman rule.

"I heard that he goes to jails to kill criminals," said Salma Abbas, a 50-year-old government employee. "This is good. we want someone as strong as Saddam."

A secular Muslim Shiite with CIA links and ties to Saddam Hussein's Baath Party (search) in the 1970s, Allawi had been a member of the now-defunct Governing Council, but was not widely known here when he became interim leader of the country June 28.

His blank public image has been filled over the past three weeks, in sometimes fearsome ways.

One persistent rumor has him killing as many as six blindfolded and handcuffed terror suspects held at a Baghdad police station just days before taking power.

article

-=d=- said:
I wonder how much shorter this war would be if the USA adopted some of those ideas ;)

If another brutal Saddam-like leader emerges in Iraq, what have we Americans gotten for our 890 lives and $120 billion +? Exactly no stockpiles of WMD secured, exactly no revenge for people complicit in 9/11, and exactly no liberation as they will, once again, be under the thumb of a brutal dictator.

It would have to be one of the worst strategic military blunders in all of our history.

TheOne said:
Same as the old boss?.....

Not vouching for the veracity of this, but it is interesting.

article

Gee, and I thought doctors were meant to heal not kill. American doctors go by this tenet: That you will exercise your art solely for the cure of your patients, and will give no drug, perform no operation, for a criminal purpose, even if solicited, far less suggest it. If we are to buy this story, then we accept that Allawi has asumed the role of executioner.

Actions such as that one go against every prinicipal that OUR country was founded on. And, yes, it sets a horrible precedent for the nascent Prime Minister.

That said, it sounds like complete bullshit. I can't believe that the Sydney Morning Herald printed this tripe.

I could show you two "witnesses" who will say anything.

nycflasher said:
Gee, and I thought doctors were meant to heal not kill. American doctors go by this tenet: That you will exercise your art solely for the cure of your patients, and will give no drug, perform no operation, for a criminal purpose, even if solicited, far less suggest it. If we are to buy this story, then we accept that Allawi has asumed the role of executioner.

Actions such as that one go against every prinicipal that OUR country was founded on. And, yes, it sets a horrible precedent for the nascent Prime Minister.

That said, it sounds like complete bullshit. I can't believe that the Sydney Morning Herald printed this tripe.

:baby: :boohoo: :cuckoo:

:usa:

nycflasher said:

off topic, but do you support doctor assisted suicide?

I do if the suicidee is a terrorist!

(I know suicidee is not a word.... but it fits and sounds good!) :alco:

-=d=- said:
:baby: :boohoo: :cuckoo:

:usa:

So you are in favor of goverment leaders executing their citizens?
*** you and the *course comment*. That's ridiculous.

If those shot actually killed 50 Iraqis I have little sympathy for the murderers, but Allawi is off to a horribly Saddam-ish start if he REALLY did this.

*** * Edited by Kathianne. Words were offensive to another poster. Correct spelling mistake while here! ****

Note to all:

Let's refrain from repeated personal attacks and repeated foul language.

carry on

nycflasher said:
Fuck you and the vagina you rode in on. That's rediculous.

If those shot actually killed 50 Iraqis I have little sympathy for the murderers, but Allawi is off to a horribly Saddam-ish start if he REALLY did this.

the very same people that say we cannot make Iraq live up to US standards are now stating that their standards are wrong. You can't have it both ways. As many of your leftist friends like to point out, the Muslims have views much different from ours. While you might not like his brand of justice against those murdering thugs, I bet you his citizens like it.

You are trying to hold him to a standard that is not applicable in that region of the world. Remember, you guys are the very ones that started that argument when you and your friends stated that Iraq might not be capable of handling democracy.

nycflasher said:
Fuck you and the vagina you rode in on. That's rediculous.

wow...touchy touchy...

you suck.

-=d=- said:
We are not even CLOSE to even...even suggesting that 'you suck' equals "**** you and *course comment* you rode in on" is insulting.

Go ride your bike into a brick wall. Then we'll be even.

***edited quote by Kathianne.***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back