Medicare Price Lookup

debbiedowner

Gold Member
Feb 12, 2017
Procedure Price Lookup

Medicare beneficiaries can use the Procedure Price Lookup tool to look up the national average that Medicare pays hospitals or ambulatory surgical centers for certain surgeries. The website also can reveal the national average co-payment that a beneficiary with no Medicare supplemental insurance would pay the provider.

The new tool, which the CMS was required to create under the 21st Century Cures Act, will help Medicare patients consider procedure costs at different types of providers, Verma said.

A Medicare beneficiary who needs knee surgery can use the website to find out-of-pocket cost estimates for a local hospital's outpatient department and an independent surgery center.

The CMS is pushing hospitals to be more transparent about patient charges, not just for surgeries. The agency has updated its previous price transparency guideline, drawn from the Affordable Care Act, and will require hospitals to publish a list of standard charges in an online, machine-readable format starting Jan. 1. They must update that charge information, drawn from their retail chargemaster list, at least annually.

Medicare price tool compares surgery costs

It's cheaper for me to tell the doctors office I don't have insurance than to use medicare. When I went to the doctor last year without insurance ,the office visit was 50 dollars. Last time I went and used my medicare card, they billed medicare 146.00 for the same visit as before, and since I don't go to the doctor much and haven't met the deductable, I had to pay it. I complained and they said I only had to pay 75.00, still more than a no insurance visit. Criminals.

It's cheaper for me to tell the doctors office I don't have insurance than to use medicare. When I went to the doctor last year without insurance ,the office visit was 50 dollars. Last time I went and used my medicare card, they billed medicare 146.00 for the same visit as before, and since I don't go to the doctor much and haven't met the deductable, I had to pay it. I complained and they said I only had to pay 75.00, still more than a no insurance visit. Criminals.

Insurance is a racket. Always has been. It will only get worse if government takes over.

Insurance is a racket. Always has been. It will only get worse if government takes over.
That very well may be true, but it was the doctors office charging more not the government.

That very well may be true, but it was the doctors office charging more not the government.

Yes. You realize health insurance was cooked up by doctors and hospitals in the first place, right?

I see more and more the futility of discussing anything up here. No matter what the facts of a particular case are, these trolls spin it.

Forum List

Back