Media Mudders vs Fox News

The right has their boogieman starring George Soros and the left have their boogieman ala the Koch Brothers.
There are a few things that unites them, these boogiemen are trying to influence policy that personally profits them. All of them spend Big Bucks to demonize their opposition. All of them have some questionable incidents in their history.
Demonizing one but not the other is nothing but strawman showmanship.

The Koch Brothers are not media tycoons. They are American citizens. Now, who is George Soros?

Further the Koch Brothers are staunch libertarians who spend their money promoting libertarian views and policy or supporting those who support libertarian views and policy. I am unaware that they are funding any organization with a purpose of targeting and discrediting any group, media entity, or person.

George Soros is a staunch leftist who spends his money promoting leftist views and policy and supporting those who support lefitst views and policy. And he promotes and supports targeting and discrediting/destroying of any group, media entity, or person who is effective in opposing his particular ideological perspective.

:confused: Maybe you'd like to explain to me why it is OK to promote lbertarian viewpoints and not leftist (progressive) viewpoints.

And if he is guilty of targeting and discrediting groups that don't agree with him, would you please explain who they are?

The Koch Brothers are not media tycoons. They are American citizens. Now, who is George Soros?

Further the Koch Brothers are staunch libertarians who spend their money promoting libertarian views and policy or supporting those who support libertarian views and policy. I am unaware that they are funding any organization with a purpose of targeting and discrediting any group, media entity, or person.

George Soros is a staunch leftist who spends his money promoting leftist views and policy and supporting those who support lefitst views and policy. And he promotes and supports targeting and discrediting/destroying of any group, media entity, or person who is effective in opposing his particular ideological perspective.

:confused: Maybe you'd like to explain to me why it is OK to promote lbertarian viewpoints and not leftist (progressive) viewpoints.

And if he is guilty of targeting and discrediting groups that don't agree with him, would you please explain who they are?

It's one thing to spend money on a cause. It's quite another thing to spend money on smear campaigns on people who stand in the way of your agenda. Do you understand that?

Maybe if you had been reading the argument I have been making, you would see that I am strongly in favor of ALL perspectives receiving a fair hearing. My quarrel with Mr. Soros is not that he promotes a leftist point of view but if he had his way he would be denying anybody else a fair hearing for their different point of view. The topic here if you haven't noticed is Media Matters vs Fox News. Soros supports and funds--I personally think he helped found but haven't been able to prove it--Media Matters.

Media Matters targets Fox News and other effective proponents of conservatism and does so dishonestly and often hatefully. George Soros is also the primary funding source for Moveon.org which pretty much does the same sorts of things as Media Matters and in the same ways. They just don't pretend to have the credentials that Media Matters pretends to have. George Soros was pretty much single handedly keeping Air America afloat and that group was 24/7 attacking conservatives and conservatism to the point they became boring to even their leftist base.

Fox News doesn't give Media Matters the time of day, much less spend any time trying to discredit it other than defending itself when falsely or inaccurately accused.

Last edited:
The right has their boogieman starring George Soros and the left have their boogieman ala the Koch Brothers.
There are a few things that unites them, these boogiemen are trying to influence policy that personally profits them. All of them spend Big Bucks to demonize their opposition. All of them have some questionable incidents in their history.

You compare Soros to a couple of rich philanthropists who keep cancer hospitals running? That's pretty extreme. Soros runs a left wing propaganda outlet that doesn't even pay tax.

Read MM's "mission". It doesn't even pretend to be fair and balanced, it only monitors so-called conservative speech. How it keeps it's tax exempt status is anybody's guess. I recall Hillary bragging that she had a hand in creating MM.

There's no law that says 501(c)3s have to be "fair and balanced".

They're not allowed to endorse specific candidates. Other than that, they're welcome to have whatever partisan views they want.

Just like all the Conservative 501(c)3s.

Not a "media tycoon", either. And also an American citizen.

It's one thing to spend money on a cause. It's quite another thing to spend money on smear campaigns on people who stand in the way of your agenda. Do you understand that?

If anyone is being smeared here it is Soros. You haven't produced on iota of proof of your more colorful accusations yet you appear to be accusing him of smearing someone else.

So I ask again politely...Why is it OK to put forth libertarian viewpoints and not progressive ones?

And since you appear to think he is smearing someone or something, why don't you speak up and tell us who it is?

Maybe if you had been reading the argument I have been making, you would see that I am strongly in favor of ALL perspectives receiving a fair hearing. My quarrel with Mr. Soros is not that he promotes a leftist point of view but if he had his way he would be denying anybody else a fair hearing for their different point of view. The topic here if you haven't noticed is Media Matters vs Fox News. Soros supports and funds--I personally think he helped found but haven't been able to prove it--Media Matters.

Media Matters targets Fox News and other effective proponents of conservatism and does so dishonestly and often hatefully. George Soros is also the primary funding source for Moveon.org which pretty much does the same sorts of things as Media Matters and in the same ways. They just don't pretend to have the credentials that Media Matters pretends to have. George Soros was pretty much single handedly keeping Air America afloat and that group was 24/7 attacking conservatives and conservatism to the point they became boring to even their leftist base.

Fox News doesn't give Media Matters the time of day, much less spend any time trying to discredit it other than defending itself when falsely or inaccurately accused.

I'll start off by being honest here. I am very amused that you have given Media Matters so much power. From the beginning (about 2004) they have been a blog devoted to catching lies put out by the right. It is not even a very big group, less then 100 people. Soros was not one of the founders or first funders. In fact when they first started going they were continually asking for money to stay open. And it's funny that the right has been so relentless that finally Soros contributed $1M just recently. Kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy.

It seems to me that someone on the right does not want you all to read Media Matters. I wonder why. Media Matters is a progressing think tank, MoveOn is not. Media Matters is dedicated to exposing the lies that Faux news tells about the left. But they do not own a newspaper, radio station or TV channel. So it makes me so curious why you appear to have given them so much power. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around that.

MoveOn was started as a grass roots group dedicated to seeing that Dems got elected. As far as I know Soros has contributed monies to it a few times. Although I can't say that for sure since I didn't bother to go look. I don't care.

But here is what really gets me...you seem to think that Soros wants to deny anyone the right to hear or speak whatever they wish. I have seen this accusation a few times now, but without one link to anything to back it up. Who is he doing that to? How is he doing it? I have come to believe that it is just part of the Beckian conspiracy theory. But occasionally even conspiracy theorys need a fact or two.

I'll start off by being honest here. I am very amused that you have given Media Matters so much power. From the beginning (about 2004) they have been a blog devoted to catching lies put out by the right. It is not even a very big group, less then 100 people. Soros was not one of the founders or first funders. In fact when they first started going they were continually asking for money to stay open. And it's funny that the right has been so relentless that finally Soros contributed $1M just recently. Kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy.

It seems to me that someone on the right does not want you all to read Media Matters. I wonder why. Media Matters is a progressing think tank, MoveOn is not. Media Matters is dedicated to exposing the lies that Faux news tells about the left. But they do not own a newspaper, radio station or TV channel. So it makes me so curious why you appear to have given them so much power. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around that.

MoveOn was started as a grass roots group dedicated to seeing that Dems got elected. As far as I know Soros has contributed monies to it a few times. Although I can't say that for sure since I didn't bother to go look. I don't care.

But here is what really gets me...you seem to think that Soros wants to deny anyone the right to hear or speak whatever they wish. I have seen this accusation a few times now, but without one link to anything to back it up. Who is he doing that to? How is he doing it? I have come to believe that it is just part of the Beckian conspiracy theory. But occasionally even conspiracy theorys need a fact or two.

Wow I'm impressed. You put a lot of accusations out there that nobody has supported their complaints re Soros and Media Matters while not providing a single link to support your perspective. But you used whole sentences, proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation and avoided all the standard derogatory terms to describe conservatives and conservative principles. And for that I thank you.

Wow I'm impressed. You put a lot of accusations out there that nobody has supported their complaints re Soros and Media Matters while not providing a single link to support your perspective. But you used whole sentences, proper capitalization, spelling, and punctuation and avoided all the standard derogatory terms to describe conservatives and conservative principles. And for that I thank you.

Couldn't come up with any links huh? :lol:

I was wondering why, all of a sudden, people were going after Media Matters. Here's why.

Fox News takes on Media Matters

For seven years, Fox News has pushed back against the daily scrutiny and criticism leveled at it by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog group. But after founder David Brock said in March that his group’s new strategy amounted to a “war on Fox,” the network ratcheted up its response.

In the past 10 days, Fox has run more than 30 segments calling for the nonprofit group to be stripped of its tax-exempt status. Its Fox Nation website has even provided a link to pre-completed complaint forms against Media Matters to send to the Internal Revenue Service. (See also: Can Fox quash its fiercest critic? in The Arena)

While Fox News personalities like Glenn Beck and Bill O’Reilly have long grumbled about Media Matters, this attack on the group has been carried out across the channel’s news and opinion programs. It has included shows like “The O’Reilly Factor,” news coverage of the complaints to the IRS and even a psychological profile of Brock, a former conservative journalist who went over to the liberal side, on “Fox & Friends” that suggested he might be “full of self-hatred” because he was adopted.

Read more: Fox News takes on Media Matters - Keach Hagey - POLITICO.com

If anyone is being smeared here it is Soros. You haven't produced on iota of proof of your more colorful accusations yet you appear to be accusing him of smearing someone else.

So I ask again politely...Why is it OK to put forth libertarian viewpoints and not progressive ones?

And since you appear to think he is smearing someone or something, why don't you speak up and tell us who it is?

kapow.jpg

These reichtwingers are notorious for making BOGUS and unsubstantiated claims.

You got them RIGHTLY pegged.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Read MM's "mission". It doesn't even pretend to be fair and balanced, it only monitors so-called conservative speech. How it keeps it's tax exempt status is anybody's guess. I recall Hillary bragging that she had a hand in creating MM.

There's no law that says 501(c)3s have to be "fair and balanced".

They're not allowed to endorse specific candidates. Other than that, they're welcome to have whatever partisan views they want.

Just like all the Conservative 501(c)3s.
Can you name any?

Maybe I'd like to start getting my talking points from them so I can post them on here just to piss ya'll off

Couldn't come up with any links huh? :lol:

I already provided some earlier in the thread. And I certainly have provided more than you have. :)

What ever happened to partial quotes with supporting links?

I tried, but was stopped by some forum rule about having to have 15 posts before you're allowed to post a link to another site.

Sorry for making it so long, but as I've seen in the three or four days that I've been here, there's no point in even trying to fix the wrongness, here.

Seems all are dug in with their own positions, and any voice of moderation is ridiculed.

Been a real blast for a couple of days, but I'll let you kids get back to your sandbox in your little clique and enjoy your time wasting.

T.

Wrong. Fox News can be conservative in its editorial policy but it not only presents but invites opposing points of view to be expressed. Same with National Review or Human Affairs or numerous other well researched and scholarly sites that will usually favor the consevative view but give fair acknowledgment to the opposing point of view.

Nor are any of those sites targeting a leftist or leftist site for destruction nor do any have a demonstrated policy of being intentionally dishonest or misleading to complete their mission. There is a world of difference between an ideological perspective and partisanship. And there is a world of difference between making an informed choice for the ideology or party one prefers and blind partisanship that would deny others a fair hearing, much less honest consideration.

And that's your point of view. I just don't share your point of view on this particular subject. But overall Foxfyre, I respect your point of views as they are traditionally levelheaded.

And that's what civil conversation and good debate is all about--going after the message you agree or disagree with instead of the messenger. Many MANY of our members really need to learn that lesson. :)

Of course I don't know how you're going to dismantle my point here with anything other than you don't want to agree with it. If this was the topic of a formal debate I would be on my knees praying that I didn't have to defend the opposing view on this one. :)

Foxfyre, I can't dismantle your point. My opinion is based on what I have seen over the years, mainly on Fox News web page. I very rarely watch Fox News or MSNBC for that matter. I visit their websites daily, just to find out what the talking points of the day are. Then I'll do my own investigation using Google to find resources that more or less produce a straight forward facts/history about the specific subject/issue. There are times when Fox or MSNBC will take a story, say from AP and then add contributions from their own writers and that's where the spin comes in.
Also, I stopped watching Fox's and MSNBC's talking heads opinion shows basically because they are too one-sided. I also feel that certain talking heads' objective is to fire up either the left or right base. Sometimes they basically incite their listeners to outright and really unnecessary extreme anger. You can see the results on these boards. People typing away wild and crazy posts. In my mind I can see these people typing away with eyes wildly wide open and veins popping out of their neck as they frantically type away. :cuckoo:
Anyway, that's my story,,,and I'm sticking to it.!
Thanks for the civil discussion.

Last edited:
We'll just have to stand back and let the left have their little tantrum. We have to remember that the dream is over. Hope and change is gone. Reality has set in and it can even make Presidents get up and walk off in a huffy puff and act like snotty brats.

We'll just have to stand back and let the left have their little tantrum. We have to remember that the dream is over. Hope and change is gone. Reality has set in and it can even make Presidents get up and walk off in a huffy puff and act like snotty brats.

Yeah Obama did act like a spoiled child, but give the guy credit, at least he didn't run to Canada (ala the Wisconsin State Senators that ran to Illinois!).:clap2:

Last edited:

Yeah Obama did act like a spoiled child, but give the guy credit, at least he didn't run to Canada (ala the Wisconsin State Senators that ran to Illinois!).:clap2:

He still ran away. That's what lefties do if they can. If they can't run, then they insult and smear when cornered. It's a common tactic of animals when cornered. Kinda like a dog snarling to warn you.

Now Obama has to figure out a way to pay for his health care without cutting entitlements for seniors. He told us he wasn't gong to raise taxes and now he demands it and he's not budging even if it brings down his presidency. That's a good thing. It will bring him down.

Forum List

Back