Media matters opposition research on Paul Ryan

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
They are supposed to be a tax exempt right?

Media Matters super PAC releases opposition research report on Paul Ryan

The report is a ready-made dossier for Democrats and a skewed portrayal for reporters, starting with Ryan’s support for reform of the fast-growing Medicare program, and ending with a supportive quote from former Oklahoma Republican Rep. J.C. Watts.

The report was prepared by American Bridge 21st Century, which was founded by Media Matters for America founder David Brock. (RELATED: Read The Daily Caller’s complete coverage of the liberal Media Matters organization)

American Bridge’s chairwoman is Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, a former Maryland lieutenant governor. Its president is Rodell Mollineau, who was a staff director for Democratic leader Sen. Harry Reid at the Senate Democratic Communications Center.

The report’s table of contents includes headings such as “Slashes Medicaid, Destroys Jobs”; “Hurts The Most Vulnerable, Makes College Less Affordable”; and “Raises Taxes on The Poor To Pay For Tax Breaks For The Rich.”

Starting with a “Top Hit,” the report slams Ryan for his effort to update the unreformed Medicare program, which provides health care services to almost 50 million people including millions of voters in Florida and other swing states.

The report’s opening paragraph cites an April 2011 Wall Street Journal article in which congressional reporter Naftali Bendavid wrote that ”[t]The [Ryan] plan would essentially end Medicare, which now pays most of the health-care bills for 48 million elderly and disabled Americans, as a program that directly pays those bills.”

That priority given to Ryan’s focus on Medicare suggests that the Obama campaign and its allies will run attack ads intended to generate worry among retirees that Ryan and Romney will try to slash medical services.

The report does not mention a recent Congressional Budget Office report showing that Obama’s own health care reform agenda will cut Medicare funding by roughly $716 billion over the next decade. It also does not mention the decline in Medicare quality caused by budget cuts that have deterred doctors from taking Medicare patients.

Media Matters super PAC dumps oppo research on Paul Ryan | The Daily Caller

They are supposed to be a tax exempt right?

Media Matters super PAC releases opposition research report on Paul Ryan

The report is a ready-made dossier for Democrats and a skewed portrayal for reporters, starting with Ryan’s support for reform of the fast-growing Medicare program, and ending with a supportive quote from former Oklahoma Republican Rep. J.C. Watts.

The report was prepared by American Bridge 21st Century, which was founded by Media Matters for America founder David Brock. (RELATED: Read The Daily Caller’s complete coverage of the liberal Media Matters organization)

American Bridge’s chairwoman is Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, a former Maryland lieutenant governor. Its president is Rodell Mollineau, who was a staff director for Democratic leader Sen. Harry Reid at the Senate Democratic Communications Center.

The report’s table of contents includes headings such as “Slashes Medicaid, Destroys Jobs”; “Hurts The Most Vulnerable, Makes College Less Affordable”; and “Raises Taxes on The Poor To Pay For Tax Breaks For The Rich.”

Starting with a “Top Hit,” the report slams Ryan for his effort to update the unreformed Medicare program, which provides health care services to almost 50 million people including millions of voters in Florida and other swing states.

The report’s opening paragraph cites an April 2011 Wall Street Journal article in which congressional reporter Naftali Bendavid wrote that ”[t]The [Ryan] plan would essentially end Medicare, which now pays most of the health-care bills for 48 million elderly and disabled Americans, as a program that directly pays those bills.”

That priority given to Ryan’s focus on Medicare suggests that the Obama campaign and its allies will run attack ads intended to generate worry among retirees that Ryan and Romney will try to slash medical services.

The report does not mention a recent Congressional Budget Office report showing that Obama’s own health care reform agenda will cut Medicare funding by roughly $716 billion over the next decade. It also does not mention the decline in Medicare quality caused by budget cuts that have deterred doctors from taking Medicare patients.
Media Matters super PAC dumps oppo research on Paul Ryan | The Daily Caller
Media Mutters is a DNC mouthpiece and produces biased and calumnous political firebombs with malice aforethought to Americans who oppose the DNC. Should that be tax-exempt?

Is there any difference between Media Matters and the Rainbow Coalition ?

Media Matters should not be tax exempt. They do the research then feed it to the propaganda arm MSNBC

This report wasn't done by MediaMatters, it was done by a SuperPAC founded by the same guy. SuperPACs and 501c3s have different legal definitions, and the SuperPAC is NOT tax exempt.

This report wasn't done by MediaMatters, it was done by a SuperPAC founded by the same guy. SuperPACs and 501c3s have different legal definitions, and the SuperPAC is NOT tax exempt.

With what we now know about Media Matters and their motives...does it really matter?
The Op's point stands.

A little hair-splitting, no?

Not that I think it matters much, the die is cast.

With what we now know about Media Matters and their motives...does it really matter?
The Op's point stands.

What do we "now know" about Media Matters and their "motives"?

The Op's point stands.

There are enough links in posts on this so far quite short thread to answer your question. But I'm confident you already know what I'm talking about. ;)

A little hair-splitting, no?

Not that I think it matters much, the die is cast.

It's the same across the board, left wing and right wing.

All the "think tanks" and "media research" groups are non-profits, and they're all attached to SuperPACs.

You know the Heritage Foundation is a non-profit, right?

Don't see many threads here complaining about their "bias".

The Op's point stands.

There are enough links in posts on this so far quite short thread to answer your question. But I'm confident you already know what I'm talking about. ;)

If you can't make your own point, then why should I bother?

What, specifically, do you think we "now know", that makes the OP "stand", even though it's complete nonsense?

If I remember right Media Matters originally got it's tax exempt status by claiming it was a non partisan media watchdog organization. Does anyone here honestly believe that is what it is? If it's not why does it still deserve tax exempt status?

What, specifically, do you think we "now know", that makes the OP "stand", even though it's complete nonsense?

Media Matters memo called for hiring private investigators ‘to look into the personal lives’ of Fox employees | The Daily Caller
Media Matters document reportedly detailed plan to target Fox News staff | Fox News
Inside Media Matters: David Brock’s enemies list | The Daily Caller

“Simply put,” Frisch wrote, “the progressive movement is in need of an enemy. George W. Bush is gone. We really don’t have John McCain to kick around any more. Filling the lack of leadership on the right, Fox News has emerged as the central enemy and antagonist of the Obama administration, our Congressional majorities and the progressive movement as a whole.”

“We must take Fox News head-on in a well funded, presidential-style campaign to discredit and embarrass the network, making it illegitimate in the eyes of news consumers.”

What Frisch proceeded to suggest, however, went well beyond what legitimate presidential campaigns attempt. “We should hire private investigators to look into the personal lives of Fox News anchors, hosts, reporters, prominent contributors, senior network and corporate staff,” he wrote.

After that, Frisch argued, should come the legal assault: “We should look into contracting with a major law firm to study any available legal actions that can be taken against Fox News, from a class action law suit to defamation claims for those wronged by the network. I imagine this would be difficult but the right law firm is bound to find some legal ground for us to take action against the network.”

Something tells me a smart guy didn't miss this, yet you demand to be spoon fed...
Stunning.

If I remember right Media Matters originally got it's tax exempt status by claiming it was a non partisan media watchdog organization. Does anyone here honestly believe that is what it is? If it's not why does it still deserve tax exempt status?

The only prohibitions on organizations like MediaMatters is that they can't endorse candidates or parties.

Non-profits are allowed to have political opinions, and are allowed to share them. There's no requirement that 501c3s not have opinions.

Media Matters memo called for hiring private investigators ‘to look into the personal lives’ of Fox employees | The Daily Caller
Media Matters document reportedly detailed plan to target Fox News staff | Fox News

“Simply put,” Frisch wrote, “the progressive movement is in need of an enemy. George W. Bush is gone. We really don’t have John McCain to kick around any more. Filling the lack of leadership on the right, Fox News has emerged as the central enemy and antagonist of the Obama administration, our Congressional majorities and the progressive movement as a whole.”

“We must take Fox News head-on in a well funded, presidential-style campaign to discredit and embarrass the network, making it illegitimate in the eyes of news consumers.”

What Frisch proceeded to suggest, however, went well beyond what legitimate presidential campaigns attempt. “We should hire private investigators to look into the personal lives of Fox News anchors, hosts, reporters, prominent contributors, senior network and corporate staff,” he wrote.

After that, Frisch argued, should come the legal assault: “We should look into contracting with a major law firm to study any available legal actions that can be taken against Fox News, from a class action law suit to defamation claims for those wronged by the network. I imagine this would be difficult but the right law firm is bound to find some legal ground for us to take action against the network.”

Something tells me a smart guy didn't miss this, yet you demand to be spoon fed...
Stunning.

Where's the non-profit tax code violation?

Stunning.

A minute ago you asked me to elaborate on "what we now know about Media Matters".
I've done as much and as stated before you attempt to cloud the issue, the OP's point stands.

A minute ago you asked me to elaborate on "what we now know about Media Matters".
I've done as much and as stated before you attempt to cloud the issue, the OP's point stands.

The OP's "point" was that Media Matters should lose their 501c3 status.

How does anything you've posted back that up?

I do that stupid shit as well.
Where did the OP state that MM should lose their status?
pffft

I do that stupid shit as well.
Where did the OP state that MM should lose their status?
pffft

If not that, what do you think was the OP's point, then?

And how do your links back it up?

Forum List

Back