Media Coverage of the Tsunami Aid

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm going to be interested in the ongoing coverage of the disaster and aftermath. I think the press has basically done their job so far in alerting the world to the magnitude of need in this area but will they concentrate where the US has failed or succeeded? Or will they turn it into a contest of who's doing better. I see where Clinton and Bush Sr. are going to head up NGO relief in the US. Bi- Partisan effort and non partisan coverage?--We shall see!

dilloduck said:
I'm going to be interested in the ongoing coverage of the disaster and aftermath. I think the press has basically done their job so far in alerting the world to the magnitude of need in this area but will they concentrate where the US has failed or succeeded? Or will they turn it into a contest of who's doing better. I see where Clinton and Bush Sr. are going to head up NGO relief in the US. Bi- Partisan effort and non partisan coverage?--We shall see!

Bush's grabbing Clinton was VERY smart. It should keep this from turning into a partisan bash although I still hear partisan comments being made.

Last night I was watching CNN's coverage for a bit and their call in question was, "Is America Doing Enough" and believe it or not, I would say that 80 - 90% of the callers were saying NO BUSH is not doing eough. How can anybody say that?

freeandfun1 said:
Bush's grabbing Clinton was VERY smart. It should keep this from turning into a partisan bash although I still hear partisan comments being made.

Last night I was watching CNN's coverage for a bit and their call in question was, "Is America Doing Enough" and believe it or not, I would say that 80 - 90% of the callers were saying NO BUSH is not doing eough. How can anybody say that?
imo he's doing more than he should be doing. and the ones that are uttering the word stingy should remember all the help (read money) weve shelled out in the past. there may come a time when the US is going to need it, whose going to be first in line to help us?

Johnney said:
imo he's doing more than he should be doing. and the ones that are uttering the word stingy should remember all the help (read money) weve shelled out in the past. there may come a time when the US is going to need it, whose going to be first in line to help us?

The most satisfying feeling in life is giving---we are lucky we can do it. Thats why Americans need to conitinue to take responsiblity for our selves--- it's not the governments job.

dilloduck said:
The most satisfying feeling in life is giving---we are lucky we can do it. Thats why Americans need to conitinue to take responsiblity for our selves--- it's not the governments job.
yes we are. but whose going to give to the US when we need it (hypothetically of course)? i mean if there is a time when we are broke, whose going to be there for us? the UN? hopefully that is dead by then.
but then again jsut because we can does that mean we are obligated to give?

Johnney said:
yes we are. but whose going to give to the US when we need it (hypothetically of course)? i mean if there is a time when we are broke, whose going to be there for us? the UN? hopefully that is dead by then.
but then again jsut because we can does that mean we are obligated to give?

spiritually--yes we are

If you do nothing your entire life except give to others in need there is no god that will reject you.

dilloduck said:
spiritually--yes we are

If you do nothing your entire life except give to others in need there is no god that will reject you.
that is fine for you people that believe in that. but i claim no religion. and i dont need god in my life to give. i give to my parents church in the form of cooking and what ever projects they need help with. ive known their pastor since ive been about 8 or so.
so thats not an argument.
i dont feel the need to donate money to a place that was built on a beach and apperently had not the slightest bit of a notion a wall of water could someday wipe them out. thats like people in the mid west building houses on flood plains, then get flooded out, and expect FEMA to bail them out every year.

dilloduck said:
spiritually--yes we are

so yo umean to say that, depending on the size of your wallet, you may or may not get into heaven?

dilloduck said:
It costs to not give too
and it costs what? someone not giving me something? i dont want anyone to <i>give</i> me anything. i dont care how bad off i am.

Johnney said:
and it costs what? someone not giving me something? i dont want anyone to <i>give</i> me anything. i dont care how bad off i am.
it costs to be selfish---if you are determined to not let anyone give anything to you, it's your choice--you just deprive them of feeling that they could help you if you needed it--thats all--no biggie

dilloduck said:
it costs to be selfish---if you are determined to not let anyone give anything to you, it's your choice--you just deprive them of feeling that they could help you if you needed it--thats all--no biggie
now your making it sound like im insensitive! the sooner that everyone else realizes that not everyone else is not a giver or a taker the better off everyone will be.

Johnney said:
now your making it sound like im insensitive! the sooner that everyone else realizes that not everyone else is not a giver or a taker the better off everyone will be.

never the less---giving is a good thing----I'm making no judgements on you Johnny---peace

and im not saying its a bad thing. jsut that people shouldnt be obligated to do it jsut becasue they can.

Johnney said:
and im not saying its a bad thing. jsut that people shouldnt be obligated to do it jsut becasue they can.

it's merely a spiritual obligation to some-----if someone tells you that you have to give, they've missed to whole point of giving

dilloduck said:
it's merely a spiritual obligation to some-----if someone tells you that you have to give, they've missed to whole point of giving
that is something we can agree on! :beer:

Johnney said:
there may come a time when the US is going to need it, whose going to be first in line to help us?

How many showed up when Florida was hit by four disasterous hurricanes this year? The U.S. will always be left alone to take care of its disasters. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Forum List

Back