McCain: Romney seems interested in V.P spot

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
(CNN) — Mitt Romney's message came through loud and clear to John McCain.

The Arizona senator joked Wednesday he got the impression Romney is interested in the No. 2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket after watching a recent interview with the former Massachusetts governor.

"I got that impression from him watching his interview last night, I got that impression," McCain said laughing on his campaign plane in New Hampshire. (Watch McCain's comments on Romney)

The comments follow Romney's interview with Fox News Tuesday night, during which the former presidential candidate said he'd be honored to serve alongside McCain.

“I think any Republican leader in this country would be honored to be asked to serve as the vice presidential nominee, myself included," Romney said. "Of course this is a nation which needs strong leadership. And if the nominee of our party asked you to serve with him, anybody would be honored to receive that call … and to accept it, of course.”

McCain refused to hint at just how seriously his campaign is considering Romney for the ticket, though reports earlier this week said some aides to President Bush are pushing the idea of a McCain-Romney ticket, given the Massachusetts Republican's credentials with respect to economic issues.

But McCain and Romney were bitter opponents earlier this year in the Republican presidential race, and the two men have butted heads for several years. Romney also categorically ruled out being McCain's running mate in January, saying "I’m not going to be any vice president to John McCain either, that’s not going to happen.”

McCain acknowledged he and Romney were in a tough fight for the party's nomination, but suggested the two have put their differences behind them.

more ... http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Not sure I see these two getting along real well.

"I’m not going to be any vice president to John McCain either, that’s not going to happen.”

This is exactly why Romney shoud not be on the ticket. I can see the Dems running wild with the "flip-flopper" angle here.

The problem is that ideologically, Mitt brings to the table the same negatives that John McCain does. There are far better VP choices, such as Sarah Palin, Butch Otter, Mark Sanford.

Although even a superstar VP couldn't make me vote for McCain.

The problem is that ideologically, Mitt brings to the table the same negatives that John McCain does. There are far better VP choices, such as Sarah Palin, Butch Otter, Mark Sanford.

Although even a superstar VP couldn't make me vote for McCain.

I like JC Watts. He is a very viable choice and I think it would be funny to see Clinton or Obama run like hell as he calls them "race-hustling poverty pimps."

I also like Richard Shelby of Alabama. Not viable due to a party switch, but was never democrat in ideals anyway.

Forum List

Back