McCain on balancing the Budget

I think what it proves, is that we can no doubt invade and conquer most nations with ease, and replace their government with one that suits us. But what I don't thikn we're militarily capable of, is sustaining a long term nation building effort that doesn't over stretch our military in a time where we may need it at the drop of a hat.

I don't know, I just like knowing our military is rested, ready, and prepared IMMEDIATELY to tackle any issue.

No one country in this WORLD can sustain a tru nation building effort, and not come out behind after all is said and done. We are weaker, more tired, we have less morale, we are on the brink of bankruptcy, and for what?

Hmm...I guess that the war was poorly executed doesn't bother you. We had way to few troops in Iraq at the onset of the war, we boosted troop numbers and violence is down by 80%. Sounds as though MCCain had it right.

I think what it proves, is that we can no doubt invade and conquer most nations with ease, and replace their government with one that suits us. But what I don't thikn we're militarily capable of, is sustaining a long term nation building effort that doesn't over stretch our military in a time where we may need it at the drop of a hat.

I don't know, I just like knowing our military is rested, ready, and prepared IMMEDIATELY to tackle any issue.

No one country in this WORLD can sustain a tru nation building effort, and not come out behind after all is said and done. We are weaker, more tired, we have less morale, we are on the brink of bankruptcy, and for what?

To set up a Shia government in Iraq allied with Iran.

To set up a Shia government in Iraq allied with Iran.

The federal government of Iraq is defined under the current Constitution as an Islamic, democratic, federal parliamentary republic. The federal government is composed of the executive, legislative, and judicial branches, as well as numerous independent commissions. Aside from the federal government, there are regions (made of one or more governorates), governorates, and districts within Iraq with jurisdiction over various matters as defined by law.

Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The federal government of Iraq is defined under the current Constitution as an Islamic, democratic, federal parliamentary republic. The federal government is composed of the executive, legislative, and judicial branches, as well as numerous independent commissions. Aside from the federal government, there are regions (made of one or more governorates), governorates, and districts within Iraq with jurisdiction over various matters as defined by law.

Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's so romantic when they hold hands....

_21716_maliki-ahmadinejad.jpg

Do go on...

Where else has Mccain differed from Bush's economic policy? Does mccain support tax cuts for the rich? What will McCain do about immigration? What will mccain do about the housing market?

What reason should the voters believe Mccain is fundamentally different than bush?

More Bush 3....

A March 26 Los Angeles Times article about the release of the 2008 report by the trustees of the Social Security and Medicare programs asserted that "[o]f the three [presidential] candidates, [Sen. John] McCain is running as the most fiscally conservative." In support, staff writer Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar specifically cited only McCain's "critici[sm] [of] the Medicare prescription benefit when it was created in 2003, saying that Congress and President Bush failed to provide for the long-term cost."

Media Matters - Claiming McCain "is running as the most fiscally conservative" candidate, LA Times cited one bill, which Clinton also opposed

Do go on...

Where else has Mccain differed from Bush's economic policy? Does mccain support tax cuts for the rich? What will McCain do about immigration? What will mccain do about the housing market?

What reason should the voters believe Mccain is fundamentally different than bush?

:cuckoo:More Bush 3....

Even just-departed Budget Director Mitch Daniels at one point called the idea "irresponsible." Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) blasts the arrangement as a "profligate waste of federal revenues." And at least three congressional committees are looking into the deal, which could still be blocked.

BW Online | July 7, 2003 | Inside Boeing's Sweet Deal

Should I go on or do you get the point?

By "reforming Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid" does he mean cut social spending?

Automatic spending increases yes....spending increases that aren't even Congressionally debated and voted on.....

Think we can continue on the current track....

$four_entitlements.gif

What most people forget is that we did have a successful nation building effort in Japan, a country even more fanatically anti-west and anti-democratic than Iraq ever was. But we occupied Japan with well over 1,000,000 troops for NINE YEARS to get it done. We've never had more than 160,000 on the ground in Iraq at any one time. Nation building is largely a policing effort, not a combat one. And we had plenty of troops for toppling Sadaam, but nowhere near enough "police" to secure the aftermath. It's only been recently with the addition of around 600,000 Iraqi troops of which now over 100,000 are in really good shape that the security picture has begun to improve.

In no way can a once friend of the United States become a foe...I see.

Aren't we tired of it happening though?

How many more dictators are we going to install, that we end up having to replace, before we finally realize how counter-productive it ultimately is?

Who's next, Musharaff? It sure does seem possible.

And I think you're putting way too much trust in McCain's rhetoric. He's distancing himself from Bush because he HAS to.

Let me ask you this...If McCain wins, and he ends up proving himself to be just another piece of shit like all the rest of the career DC'ers, will you finally realize by the next election that it's time for something DIFFERENT? Or will you once again vote for whoever is a little less liberal?

Last edited:
It amuses me when a Pol says he'll veto every pork bill.

Come on folks, most pork is stuffed into important bills such that to veto those bills is to veto something essantial.

Basically the game is to give a serious bill poison pills such anyone voting against them ends up with headlines that read

__________ votes against motherhood, apple pie and supporting the troops.

And yes voting against that bill does that, but it ALSO was a vote against some fat pork written into the bill which every one of us would think was pure pork.

Both parties do this crap, ya know?

Let's get real here, okay?

Stop falling for the sexy headlines and start reading the jumps where the actual news is buried.

Last edited:
It amuses me when a Pol says he'll veto every pork bill.

Come on folks, most pork is stuffed into important bills such that to veto those bills is to veto something essantial.

Basically the game is to give a serious bill poison pills such anyone voting against them ends up with headlines that read

__________ votes against motherhood, apple pie and supporting the troops.

And yes voting against that bill does that, but it ALSO was a vote against some fat pork written into the bill which every one of us would think was pure pork.

Both parties do this crap, ya know?

Let's get real here, okay?

Stop falling for the sexy headlines and start reading the jumps where the actual news is buried.

Pretty well said. Kind of makes a good case for the line item veto.

Aren't we tired of it happening though?

How many more dictators are we going to install, that we end up having to replace, before we finally realize how counter-productive it ultimately is?

Who's next, Musharaff? It sure does seem possible.

And I think you're putting way too much trust in McCain's rhetoric. He's distancing himself from Bush because he HAS to. Let me ask you this...If McCain wins, and he ends up proving himself to be just another piece of shit like all the rest of the career DC'ers, will you finally realize by the next election that it's time for something DIFFERENT? Or will you once again vote for whoever is a little less liberal?

He doesn't have to do that, his record does it for him. His record is clear, he has been a heavy hitter against wasteful spending.

He doesn't have to do that, his record does it for him. His record is clear, he has been a heavy hitter against wasteful spending.

Without a line item veto, how's he going to be able to come through on his promise to veto pork? There's going to be bills handed to him that he'll be forced to sign.

The real test will be if he has the balls to still say no, especially if he's working with a Dem congress, who will most likely challenge him on that.

You've got a lot more faith than I.

What most people forget is that we did have a successful nation building effort in Japan, a country even more fanatically anti-west and anti-democratic than Iraq ever was. But we occupied Japan with well over 1,000,000 troops for NINE YEARS to get it done. We've never had more than 160,000 on the ground in Iraq at any one time. Nation building is largely a policing effort, not a combat one. And we had plenty of troops for toppling Sadaam, but nowhere near enough "police" to secure the aftermath. It's only been recently with the addition of around 600,000 Iraqi troops of which now over 100,000 are in really good shape that the security picture has begun to improve.

We BOUGHT the friendship of Japan by giving the party that supported us millions of dollars, sport.

We paid for them to hire yakuza thugs to bet up the opposition.

That's why Japan was our best friends, not because of our troops but because of our CIA's ability to control the policitcal scene.

Money well spend in my opinion, BTW, although I do not doubt some Japanese aren't thrilled by it.

Without a line item veto, how's he going to be able to come through on his promise to veto pork? There's going to be bills handed to him that he'll be forced to sign.

The real test will be if he has the balls to still say no, especially if he's working with a Dem congress, who will most likely challenge him on that.

You've got a lot more faith than I.

Exposing them publicly for adding pork which he has vowed to do.

Exposing them publicly for adding pork which he has vowed to do.

His record while in the Senate...
Washington Times - McCain, Coburn to force votes on pork spending
Two Republican senators say they will force their colleagues to vote on the Senate floor on each so-called pork-barrel spending project this year, and President Bush also called for reforms to rein in the projects.

The battle over earmarks -- the line-item projects that members of Congress insert into spending bills to benefit their districts -- has ballooned as Republicans debate congressional reforms and budget deficits.

Republican Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma sent a letter Wednesday night to their colleagues announcing they will use Senate rules to force members to vote on each project.

"American taxpayers are entitled to a more thorough debate and disclosure about how their money is being spent," the senators wrote.

McCain wants us to continue to waste $200 billion dollars a year in Iraq. That's enough for me to vote against him.

Forum List

Back