McCain Contradicts Palin Record

greenpartyaz

Corporate Watchdog
Jun 21, 2008
The Valley of the Sun
CBS News Investigative Producer Laura Strickler reports for CBSNews.com:

Senator John McCain appeared today on the television show “The View” and said Governor Sarah Palin reduced federal earmark spending in Alaska but added that she did not ask for earmarks as Governor of Alaska. That contradicts Palin's record.

When asked by View host Barbara Walters what Palin would specifically reform in Washington, McCain responded, “First of all earmark spending, which she vetoed a half a billion dollars worth in the state of Alaska.”

To which Walters responded, “She also took some earmark spending.”

McCain said, “No, not as governor she didn’t.”

It is well documented that Governor Sarah Palin greatly reduced the state’s requests for earmarks, but she continued to ask for federal money. According to reporters from the Seattle Times who added up Palin’s requests this year, the total is $197 million. The request, on the governor’s letterhead, is here and it is also available on Alaska Republican Senator Ted Stevens’ home page.

Steve Ellis with Taxpayers for Common Sense said in response to the apparent mistake, “McCain has been a champion of fighting wasteful spending but it’s pretty apparent that even though Palin has reduced the state’s requests, Governor Palin has asked for earmarks.”:eusa_whistle:

I am curious. What part of the world do you live in? If I am not totally off base you report news about a day late, and have done it several times.

Just wondering. I am :confused: I thought Arizona was part of the United States. Oh well.

I am curious. What part of the world do you live in? If I am not totally off base you report news about a day late, and have done it several times.

Just wondering. I am :confused: I thought Arizona was part of the United States. Oh well.

I'm from AZ, but some things I post are too good to pass up so I have to make sure they are posted! Sometimes late Sorry!:eusa_whistle:

Senator John McCain appeared today on the television show “The View” and said Governor Sarah Palin reduced federal earmark spending in Alaska but added that she did not ask for earmarks as Governor of Alaska. That contradicts Palin's record.

When asked by View host Barbara Walters what Palin would specifically reform in Washington, McCain responded, “First of all earmark spending, which she vetoed a half a billion dollars worth in the state of Alaska.”

It is well documented that Governor Sarah Palin greatly reduced the state’s requests for earmarks, but she continued to ask for federal money. According to reporters from the Seattle Times who added up Palin’s requests this year, the total is $197 million. The request, on the governor’s letterhead, is here and it is also available on Alaska Republican Senator Ted Stevens’ home page.

Steve Ellis with Taxpayers for Common Sense said in response to the apparent mistake, “McCain has been a champion of fighting wasteful spending but it’s pretty apparent that even though Palin has reduced the state’s requests, Governor Palin has asked for earmarks.”:eusa_whistle:

Hmm...I wonder if we were to compare Obama's earmarks with Palin's who would have appropriated more in earmarks? Or for that matter Biden vs. Palin's earmarks who would have appropriated more in earmarks? The winner in both cases would be Palin.

Hmm...I wonder if we were to compare Obama's earmarks with Palin's who would have appropriated more in earmarks? Or for that matter Biden vs. Palin's earmarks who would have appropriated more in earmarks? The winner in both cases would be Palin.

John Mccain clearly stated that Sarah Palin accepted "no earmarks as governor, NOT ONE!" -John McCain:eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMN_PP2qhNQ]YouTube - McCain Claims Palin Took No Earmarks as Alaska Governor[/ame]

:eusa_whistle:

Key line at 0:30 - 0:37 ;)

Give McCain a break. The man doesn't know anything about economics, doesn't know how to use the computer, and obviously age is beginning to catch up with his memory. So what is 197 million dollars among GOP friends. IT IS NOTHING!

Ask Booooosh. He is leaving the US with record deficits. So what?

John Mccain clearly stated that Sarah Palin accepted "no earmarks as governor, NOT ONE!" -John McCain:eusa_whistle:

Yet she hasn't appropriated one earmark as governor, while Obama and Biden both have in mass. While Mccain hasn't appropriated one earmark either....

Last edited:
Give McCain a break. The man doesn't know anything about economics, doesn't know how to use the computer, and obviously age is beginning to catch up with his memory. So what is 197 million dollars among GOP friends. IT IS NOTHING!

Ask Booooosh. He is leaving the US with record deficits. So what?

Actually Congress is leaving the US with record deficits, didn't you learn in Civics class in middle school that Congress holds the purse strings? While Bush could have vetoed spending, it was Congress's legislation that produced the deficits.

:clap2: Lol there goes another Republican rational of hypocrisy. Instead of admitting that your boy McCain is full of shit, you compare it to Obama. Thank you for continually proving the point about the party you love and that is you guys will say or do anything no matter how blatantly immoral and unethical it is(i.e your boy Bush which history will say is the WORST Prez ever)
:clap2:

Actually Congress is leaving the US with record deficits, didn't you learn in Civics class in middle school that Congress holds the purse strings? While Bush could have vetoed spending, it was Congress's legislation that produced the deficits.

And for the first 6 years of Bush spending, WHO CONTROLLED CONGRESS? Another stupid rationalization, you're on a roll with this thread:clap2:

:clap2: Lol there goes another Republican rational of hypocrisy. Instead of admitting that your boy McCain is full of shit, you compare it to Obama. Thank you for continually proving the point about the party you love and that is you guys will say or do anything no matter how blatantly immoral and unethical it is(i.e your boy Bush which history will say is the WORST Prez ever)
:clap2:

Actually he was right she never appropriated one earmark bill as the Alaskan governor. I was only showing the ultra liberal hypocrisy...:eusa_whistle:

And for the first 6 years of Bush spending, WHO CONTROLLED CONGRESS? Another stupid rationalization, you're on a roll with this thread:clap2:

I never said the Republicans didn't control Congress did I? I said it was Congress's responsibility, I just don't have BDS which you obviously suffer from....

Or looser. You forget that neither Obama or Biden are running on a no earmark platform and with Palin telling Gibson that earmarks aren't necessarily bad one has to wonder why McCain is basing his campaign on eliminating them.

Still beats Obama's request for more than $700 million in earmarks. It was an astounding total earmark request from a freshman Senator - who was clearly an easy target for lobbyists and special interest groups.

While these are officially laid at her door as earmark requests, most of these requests came through universities and public entities. Unlike the bulk of earmark requests coming from other states or those requested by Obama -which are put together by lobbyists. Palin is well known for refusing to work with lobbyists and special interest groups and has a standing order that no lobbyist is to ever get an appointment with her. She has every reason to be proud of cutting lobbyists out of their business-as-usual-no-matter-which-party-is-in-power.

But no governor is going to cut out entirely the requests coming from their own state universities and public entities when those actually serve a known public interest and public good -even while turning their back on lobbyists and special interest groups.

Actually he was right she never appropriated one earmark bill as the Alaskan governor. I was only showing the ultra liberal hypocrisy...:eusa_whistle:

There were 83 earmarks in the two Palin budgets. Palin can only have her hand clean if she had nothing to do with Alaska's budgets. Is that your position?

I never said the Republicans didn't control Congress did I? I said it was Congress's responsibility, I just don't have BDS which you obviously suffer from....

So Republican Prez, Republican Congress, whose fault is this crap we're in now? I guess that's Obama's fault too right?

But no governor is going to cut out entirely the requests coming from their own state universities and public entities when those actually serve a known public interest and public good -even while turning their back on lobbyists and special interest groups.

So why should a senator? And exactly why are we making such a big deal here? When one looks at the earmarks but Obama and Palin submitted they seem very appropriate. Why shouldn't senators and governors ask for funding for education and general infrastructure. It is a better spending of federal funds then 90% of the crap that is part of the general budget.

So Republican Prez, Republican Congress, whose fault is this crap we're in now? I guess that's Obama's fault too right?

Why is it we have the largest deficit in history while democrats control Congress, 490 billion dollars? I guess that's Bush's fault right?

Forum List

Back