McCain: Closing Guantanamo Bay is the easy part

Murtha is one person I believe has fofeited his right to bear the title "US Marine." I could maybe understand his breaking ranks if there was even an ounce of credence to his posturing, but the fact is, his accusations were proven to be baseless.

Murtha's accusations were baseless? How so. Weren't Murtha's accusations based on military sources in Iraq and the Pentagon or in the defense agencies?

Murtha's judgment was flawed, not his patriotism or his loyalty as a US Marine. If you believed an accusation against a Marine to be true you also could be proved wrong in your assumptions. If that were ever to be the case would that make you dishonorable and unpatriotic?

Murtha accused Marines of committing murder. They were later exonerated.

I did not question his patriotism. I DO question his loyalty as a US Marine. Before I accuse my own, I'm going to make DAMNED SURE I've got something to accuse them of.

I would NEVER accuse another Marine, nor anyone else, of being guilty of a criminal act without rock-solid evidence and a conviction. Murtha accused them of guilt before the fact.

The fact that he was a Marine, and wore it on his sleeve that he was, then falsely accused Marines in the media is just about as disloyal as it gets. Yes, he is guilty of bad judgement. That bad judgement has consequences. He should have thought of that before opening his mouth.

But insofar as I am concerned, the "unAmerican" needs to come off the table. I did not andhave never accused him of being unAmerican. I use words like "unAmerican" and "traitor" with great care.

They dont care about honor and service, they only care about the Republican party no matter what it does.

John Murtha is US Marine and a decorated war veteran. No one has the right to question his patriotism or service to this nation...no one.

end of story

Wrong. His peers do, and I am one. His service to this Nation as a Marine has not been questioned. His actions as a buffoon politician have.

The fact that he accused Marines specifically is something he has to reconcile with us -- the Marines. And we aren't the most forgiving lot when it comes to breaking faith with the Corps.

Obama's actions on the second full day of his presidency won praise from human-rights groups and Democrats in Congress, who said the new terrorism policies would help restore the United States' moral authority.

John B. Bellinger III, a former Bush administration official who was the top legal adviser in the Bush National Security Council and State Department, said the executive orders were "measured and do not take any rash actions."

"Although the Gitmo order is primarily symbolic, it is very important," Bellinger said. "It accomplishes what we could never accomplish during the Bush administration."

Obama says closing Gitmo, banning torture gives U.S. 'high ground' : commercialappeal.com

Forum List

Back