Maui files wildfire lawsuit, not suing climate change

Thinker101

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2017
Maui County filed a lawsuit Thursday against utility company Hawaiian Electric, alleging that its power lines caused recent wildfires on the island—including one that destroyed the town of Lahaina and killed at least 115 people.

The suit was filed in state Second Circuit Court in Hawaii against Hawaiian Electric and its subsidiaries on Maui, alleging the company failed to maintain the electrical system and power grid during a windstorm that lashed the island, resulting in three different fires that erupted on Aug. 8.

Waiting for Bidenista excuses.

MSN

Maui County filed a lawsuit Thursday against utility company Hawaiian Electric, alleging that its power lines caused recent wildfires on the island—including one that destroyed the town of Lahaina and killed at least 115 people.

The suit was filed in state Second Circuit Court in Hawaii against Hawaiian Electric and its subsidiaries on Maui, alleging the company failed to maintain the electrical system and power grid during a windstorm that lashed the island, resulting in three different fires that erupted on Aug. 8.

MSN
What excuses are you expecting?

No telling, I'm sure there'll be dozens.
Well that's ambiguous. Sounds like a post in search of an argument.

That aside, of course I don't know the details for this specific power company but do power companies usually cut power when a windstorm is approaching?

I am also curious how high winds taking down power lines is negligent? Do other counties sue power companies when high winds cause damage?

The Fed, The State of Hawaii, and the County of Maui have completely failed these people.

If Trump was POTUS, he would have been eviscerates over this, like the lies about Puerto Rico. Trump send supplies, the corrupt PR admin stole and neglected much of the supplies for PR.

Right now in Maui, the only help is from neighbors. So disgusting.

BIDEN IS A MONSTER

The Fed, The State of Hawaii, and the County of Maui have completely failed these people.

If Trump was POTUS, he would have been eviscerates over this, like the lies about Puerto Rico. Trump send supplies, the corrupt PR admin stole and neglected much of the supplies for PR.

Right now in Maui, the only help is from neighbors. So disgusting.

BIDEN IS A MONSTER
What a bunch of whiny partison nonsense.

You may want to have your obsession with Trump and Biden looked at.

It's not healthy.

Yeah. Now I remember that. Thanks.

Not sure if the situation is the same.

I believe they were found responsible for the fire because it's a utilities job to make sure trees are clear of power lines...and that one didn't.

Fires cause by high winds may be a little more difficult to prove negligence.

I will be curious how this plays out.
Last year sections of California shut down power lines when the wind blows, not sure if they're doing the same this year.

Last year sections of California shut down power lines when the wind blows, not sure if they're doing the same this year.
Hmmm, never heard of that. Seems like customers would lose their shit.

Many customers have medical equipment needs, work from home and businesses would be hit hard and industrial plants would lose crazy money if they didn't have backup.

So much incompetence.

They knew this invasive grass was prone to catch fire.

No water

No sirens

Police blocking the roads

Horrible

Trump did it.
Climate Change.
Too many gas cars.
Covid 19
What ever you want to expect from a mindless Democrat...
It was a power line in a windstorm.

Feel free to link a mainstream article where those excuses are being used.

MSN
Ya, I think someone on stage last night at the debate mentioned that lawsuits have to be reined in. This was a sad thing to have happened. But, how does anyone know at this point that the system wasn't properly maintained? This sort of stuff is very sad and the loss of life cannot be restored. But, the amount of the lawsuit will be partially covered by insurance. But, taxpayers will ultimately pay the price. Individuals should have had insurance for the homes and cars. They should have life insurance as well. The later is the most disturbing because people never think they will die leaving their families without their incomes. Too many rely on group insurance that may not pay off. Fine print often times restricts when there can be a payoff. Individual term policies are the only way to be able to cost effectively pay the premiums and cover at least 10 times the annual premium.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Do you agree with shutting power off in the face of high winds?
Of course not. Instead of providing kickback to democrats, the electric companies should invest in burying power lines.

Forum List

Back