Massive ice shelf on verge of breakup

so let me get this straight, you do think that spewing tons of pollutants into the atmosphere is a GOOD thing to do? Is that right?

And so far the major solution that was given to us caused more problems. Biofuels cause more damage to the enviroment not less. I find it assanine that they forced it to be in all of the gas sold in the states.

That is the most confusing statement you have made, and that is saying alot.

What the h*ll do you mean? You think fish are causing the planet to warm? You think lions, tigers, and bears can fix the problem/? Please explain...

You think the dinosaurs were responsible for the Ice Age?
And we had a mini-ice age in the dark/middle ages. Resulted in a lot of unpleasant consequences for the pathetic human population at the time. Did we cause that?

So...if the earth has a history of climate changes with huge global ramifications, and (if you believe) this has been going on long before man even appeared in any substantial numbers (or at all) on the earth....why do you think the changes NOW are caused by man?

And why do you think we have to, or can, stop them?

You think the dinosaurs were responsible for the Ice Age?
And we had a mini-ice age in the dark/middle ages. Resulted in a lot of unpleasant consequences for the pathetic human population at the time. Did we cause that?

So...if the earth has a history of climate changes with huge global ramifications, and (if you believe) this has been going on long before man even appeared in any substantial numbers (or at all) on the earth....why do you think the changes NOW are caused by man?

And why do you think we have to, or can, stop them?

do you just purposely ingore those parts of posts that are difficult for you?

green alternatives such as solar, biomass, wind, geothermal, hydro, tidal, wave to name a few.

and I think that the rate of change we are experiencing since the industrial revolution is indicative that this particular change is not merely a natural cycle for the earth but, at the very least, accelerated by human behavior...and if we want to slow it down, we have the ability to slow that rate of change. Why would you think otherwise?

do you just purposely ingore those parts of posts that are difficult for you?

green alternatives such as solar, biomass, wind, geothermal, hydro, tidal, wave to name a few.

and I think that the rate of change we are experiencing since the industrial revolution is indicative that this particular change is not merely a natural cycle for the earth but, at the very least, accelerated by human behavior...and if we want to slow it down, we have the ability to slow that rate of change. Why would you think otherwise?

Yeah, and I effectively explained why and how biomass, wind, hydro, and tidal won't work. Because we aren't allowed to touch water or trees, and you can't grow trees if you're harnessing wind.

Geothermal...gosh, isn't that essentially DRILLING? What makes that better than oil?

And solar is impossible. People have been toying with it for 50 years and it still can't be effectively harnessed for large populations of people.

All these idiotic dreams, when the answer is right under your nose.

Oil is better, dimbulbs. Cleaner, more efficient, available, it WORKS and you don't have to starve the masses to obtain it.

Even NASA who has sort of supported the whole anthropogenic global warming theories admits that Anarctic ice has been increasing as much or more than Arctic ice has been retreating--Arctic ice did considerably advance during this year's winter however.

Chunks of ice shelves have to break off now and then and melt into the sea or else the ice shelves would continue to grow until they were gobbling up land mass that has not been ice encased for many thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands years.

I am a fence sitter in the whole global warming debate--I believe the science disputing significant anthropogenic global warming is more convincing than that supporting it. As for global warming existing, sure. The Earth had been warming fairly consistently since the little ice age to present though it appears to have essentially leveled off since around 2000.

But one thing is for sure. I have lived a long time now and have lived a lot of different places, and I can't remember ever living in a place where at least one record--record heat or record cold or both--was not reported during any year in the place where I lived.

What does this mean? To me it means we have been keeping records for a very short time in the grand scheme of things in our Planet's history, and we sure shouldn't be making any long range policy decisions based on really short climate trends that we are able to measure now.

Yeah, and I effectively explained why and how biomass, wind, hydro, and tidal won't work. Because we aren't allowed to touch water or trees, and you can't grow trees if you're harnessing wind.

Geothermal...gosh, isn't that essentially DRILLING? What makes that better than oil?

And solar is impossible. People have been toying with it for 50 years and it still can't be effectively harnessed for large populations of people.

All these idiotic dreams, when the answer is right under your nose.

Oil is better, dimbulbs. Cleaner, more efficient, available, it WORKS and you don't have to starve the masses to obtain it.

considering any post of yours to be an effective explanation of anything is the height of egotistical folly. If you don't KNOW what geothermal is, perhaps you ought not to BE in this discussion, you moron.

Solar is CERTAINLY not impossible.... nearly every single home in Israel has a solar hot water heater...and their dependence on fosssil fuels is significantly reduced. Solar was not economically feasible when oil was 15$ a barrel...but it certainly is now.

Explain, then, how much more efficient, effective, environmentally kind and successful geothermal energy is, and how we can use it immediately to prevent people from starving because we can't pay the fuel to transport food, and what food we do have is being turned into fuel?

THen explain why it's better to follow that puff of smoke than it is to use the oil we have sitting in the middle of an unpopulated, barren land, available for our use right now?

Meanwhile, my clients are starving to death because eggs cost $2.60 a dozen, and flour has skyrocketed to $5.00 for 5 lbs.

And then tell me how well solar will work in a non-desert climate, such as Oregon, where we have no sun for days and days on end; or Alaska, where it's dark round the clock for months on end?

But by golly, don't touch that crude!

That is the most confusing statement you have made, and that is saying alot.

What the h*ll do you mean? You think fish are causing the planet to warm? You think lions, tigers, and bears can fix the problem/? Please explain...

Are you serious? So tell me, when man was not around why did the planet heat and cool? And as long as we are on it, exactly what is it man is doing to cause this heat increase? If you say CO2 explain why it is that in fact that does not pan out, the places that should be showing the effects are not, just the srface is. And explain how the paultry amount of CO2 man puts in the air is to blame.

considering any post of yours to be an effective explanation of anything is the height of egotistical folly. If you don't KNOW what geothermal is, perhaps you ought not to BE in this discussion, you moron.

Solar is CERTAINLY not impossible.... nearly every single home in Israel has a solar hot water heater...and their dependence on fosssil fuels is significantly reduced. Solar was not economically feasible when oil was 15$ a barrel...but it certainly is now.

I think you owe AllieBaba a sincere apology here. Unless you happen to live next to a volcano, that has its own problems, or a hot springs that can be tapped, the standard process of obtaining geothermal energy is to drill into underground heated reservoirs and pipe the water to where it is needed.

Geothermal energy is produced by drilling a well into the ground where thermal activity is occuring. Once a well has been identified and a well head attached, the steam is separated from the water, the water is diverted through a turbine engine which turns a generator. Usually the water is injected back into the ground to resupply the geothermal source. The pictures below illustrate how the set-up of a geothermal site collecting energy looks like
http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/heidtken.html

Tsk, tsk. Hot springs are sacrosanct. At least in this part of the world, where they're all owned by the tribes. You aren't going to get any help there.......

Forum List

Back