Massachusetts High School Faces Pregnancy Boom

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dread, Jun 19, 2008.

1. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A Massachusetts high school is facing a pregnancy boom with 17 girls entering summer vacation expecting babies in what some have called a pregnancy pact.

Officials at Gloucester High School in Gloucester, Mass., are investigating whether half of the teens made a pact to get pregnant during the school year, Time.com reported.

Officials said that beginning last fall a large group of girls started asking the school clinic for pregnancy tests, the site said.

"Some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," principal Joseph Sullivan told Time.com.

The pregnancy rate at the 1,200-student school is four times higher than the previous year, and officials were shocked to learn that men in their 20s had fathered some of the babies, Time.com said.

"We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," Sullivan told Time.com.

The Gloucester baby boom is forcing this city of 30,000 to grapple with the question of providing easier access to birth control, something this largely Catholic enclave is slow to embrace, the site said.

FOXNews.com - Massachusetts High School Faces Pregnancy Boom - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

If they all DID make a pact to become pregnant then how the hell is contraception going to be the solution?

2. matty

matty SUMbodyweedemOUT

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I just heard about this today, too--crazy, huh?--Just when you think you've heard it all.

An' that was my thought, how's birth control touch this one? Good luck.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,995
    Birth Control and access to it has zero to do with this if the stated "pact" existed. How does one in one breath say " they all agreed to get pregnant and were upset when they did not" and then say " We need more birth control to control THIS problem"

Last I checked birth control is voluntary and the individual has to actually CHOSE to use it, what ever it may be. If they had already determined they were going to get pregnant any way possible, then the argument for birth control access based on THIS incident is ignorant and illogical.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I used to live in Gloucester, Mass.

Shocked? they were shocked to learn that high school girls and men in their early 20's have sex?

What universe have they been living in, anyway?

5. nomdeplume

nomdeplume Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't let facts or logic get in the way of leftist propaganda and talking points.

6. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    i bet obama fathered them all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I have noticed this among Catholics, seems their religion is stronger than their biological impulses and they do the biological with any connection to the brain. We have friends where almost all the girls through 3 generations had to get married. All have nice lives though.

8. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tell THAT one to all the girls at the all female Catholic High School I attended. Everyone from my graduating class at one point had either had an abortion or a pregnancy scare. Believe me when I tell you biological urges outweighed ANY religious theme.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

Just how dumb is it you would have us believe you are? It's OBVIOUS this has nothing to do with someone's religious beliefs. Does the article say: Catholic schoolgirls get pregnant to prove they're Catholic?

Hint: This is where you shake your head from side to side and say, "Why, no, it doesn't."

I have noticed this among uber-libs -- seems their political belief is stronger than their intellectual impulse to ensure their accusations have ANYTHING to do with the topic.

10. Glori.B

Glori.B Born Free

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    "The Gloucester baby boom is forcing this city of 30,000 to grapple with the question of providing easier access to birth control, something this largely Catholic enclave is slow to embrace, the site said."

fwiw, gloucester high school is a public high school, not a catholic school.
    no where does it say whether or not these girls are actually catholic...

the author just added his own commentary "the largely catholic enclave".