Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

☭proletarian☭;1841221 said:
Where is the lie? She says "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray with you." Again, where is the lie?

Prayer may not help but it sure as he** doesn't hurt.
To appeal to a character you know doesn't exist is a false prayer, a dishonest act. Some people don't like the feeling of performing a dishonest act.

Yeah, right, and they don't speed and they don't take pens from work or banks or stores either...get a grip.....

Like I said, for some atheists, atheism itself has become religion, that is the only justification to refuse to pray with someone is if it's against your religion.

How about, for a minute, you try to visualize nothing at the end of life.

I'm not entirely certain the mind can comprehend the concept of its own non-existence.

To appeal to a character you know doesn't exist is a false prayer, a dishonest act. Some people don't like the feeling of performing a dishonest act.

Yeah, right, and they don't speed and they don't take pens from work or banks or stores either...get a grip.....

Like I said, for some atheists, atheism itself has become religion, that is the only justification to refuse to pray with someone is if it's against your religion.

Okay, I am visualizing that this is the only life we have and there is nothing at the end of it....all the more reason to pray with the old lady and make her happy because the only thing left when we pass on will be the memories other people have of us.

Okay, I am visualizing that this is the only life we have and there is nothing at the end of it....all the more reason to pray with the old lady and make her happy because the only thing left when we pass on will be the memories other people have of us.

I dont pray. Praying is something you do if you are into religion. I am not. My beliefs are not a religion. Its the way I am and think and believe. Telling me to pray is you pushing your agenda.

If you want to pray then be happy and do so. Dont persecute me for not praying. Ill do more than praying by helping the individual or something else tangible. Praying is giving a wishful thought to someone. How cozy.

How's this? "I don't really believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray for/with you."

What's it gonna hurt? You make an old lady feel better and you don't hurt anyone since you're non-God can't possibly feel insulted.......or can he?

I'm beginning to think Atheism is a religion of it's own.

Since you didn't comprehend when I explained it before I'll put it another way. Suppose you were there instead of me and the old battle axe was an atheist who kept yelling at you and demanding you denounce your god so that she would feel better. Would you do it?

What you don't get with your nonsense about a non god not being insulted is that atheists have to answer to thier conscience while apparently you do not.

I can't put it any plainer, but it seems you are the one who doesn't understand. Why would it bother your conscious to pray to a God you don't believe exists, especially when you start out by telling the old lady you don't believe in God, but if it will make her feel better, you'll pray with her anyway. I'm sure your non-god would understand, why wouldn't your conscious?
Because it's offensive to me, not any to god or non God. I am repulsed by the sight of people praying, much as I am by people worshiping celebrities and such and certainly would never do it myself.

She was disrespectful and intolerant of my beliefs and tried to browbeat me into going against them.

☭proletarian☭;1841041 said:
I can't put it any plainer, but it seems you are the one who doesn't understand. Why would it bother your conscious to pray to a God you don't believe exists
Maybe she doesn't like lying?

Where is the lie? She says "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray with you." Again, where is the lie?

Prayer does hurt. Particularly when participation in it is forced on people.

Praying to God when you don't believe a God exists is lying. I would have been demeaning myself if I allowed that harridan to push me into doing it.

Too bad she was born too late to participate in the Inquisition. She would have had a brilliant career burning heretics.

It's funny that you would advocate for lying to and sucking up to tyrannical people. Maybe your religion approves of that sort of thing.

☭proletarian☭;1841041 said:
Maybe she doesn't like lying?

:clap2:

Against your conscience it more accurate.

You're probably one of those people who is pissed off about forced prayer being banned in public schools.

Since you didn't comprehend when I explained it before I'll put it another way. Suppose you were there instead of me and the old battle axe was an atheist who kept yelling at you and demanding you denounce your god so that she would feel better. Would you do it?

I never did get an answer to this question, Sheila, though I have responded to several of yours.

:eusa_whistle:

:clap2:
I find it revealing that the theist can't understand what it's like to have a conscience and act in accordance with that conscience. Why should the concept that you might dislike being dishonest be so difficult for her to understand?

I never did get an answer to this question, Sheila, though I have responded to several of yours.

I believe I answered that. I would never denounce my God, but there is a difference between demanding someone denounce their God and asking them to pray for them even if they don't belief in a god. Praying, doesn't hurt ANYBODY....again, suppose there is nothing after death, all that's left of us is the thoughts we've left with others. You now think of the old biddy that wanted you to pray when you were so against it and she thinks of that selfish young girl who wouldn't even put herself out enough to pray for her.......not good thoughts about either of you after death are they?

Now, had you said "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray for/with you." She would be thinking better of you and you wouldn't be hating the old biddy, or would you? Are you so full of hate for religion that you can't even do one harmless act to make an old lady feel better?

Yes, I know, the difference is you don't see the act as harmless......I wonder if you ever went to visit a religious family and attended church with them, what did you do while they prayed, screamed that they were all wrong? What do you do when they say grace at mealtime? Maybe you just don't have any religious friends......if so, I can certainly see why. On the other hand, I have many atheist friends.

Against your conscience it more accurate.

You're probably one of those people who is pissed off about forced prayer being banned in public schools.

Nope, but I'm am angry and at the Christian bias in our public schools and our media today. The one you claim doesn't exist.

I have...on the average of one or two a month.

They are probably Jehovah's Witnesses. That is a common practice for them. I am not aware of any other Christian denomination that engages in that on a regular basis. Hell, I live in the Bible Belt and I've never had anyone come to my door.

I have...in the thousands before last November...entire congregations would go out there with their children and chant.

Are you talking about abortion protesters or something else? Everyone has a Constitutional right to stand on a street corner and speak their mind.

You are saying that the thousands who held up H8 signs this last fall are extremists? Ok, I will agree with you on that.

What kind of signs are you talking about?

You're persecuting us because someone had the NERVE to say Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas.

I think the unrest coming from a lot of people about the whole "Happy Holidays" thing has less to do with religion and more about them getting sick and tired of so many others bowing to political correctness. The holiday season is based on Christmas after all and that is the holiday of which all of these stores get the vast bulk of their revenue from. It's certainly a company's right to instruct their employees to use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," but it is also the right of those who are offended by that submission to political correctness to express their displeasure and not shop there.

I believe I answered that. I would never denounce my God, but there is a difference between demanding someone denounce their God and asking them to pray for them even if they don't belief in a god. Praying, doesn't hurt ANYBODY....again, suppose there is nothing after death, all that's left of us is the thoughts we've left with others. You now think of the old biddy that wanted you to pray when you were so against it and she thinks of that selfish young girl who wouldn't even put herself out enough to pray for her.......not good thoughts about either of you after death are they?

Now, had you said "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray for/with you." She would be thinking better of you and you wouldn't be hating the old biddy, or would you? Are you so full of hate for religion that you can't even do one harmless act to make an old lady feel better?

Yes, I know, the difference is you don't see the act as harmless......I wonder if you ever went to visit a religious family and attended church with them, what did you do while they prayed, screamed that they were all wrong? What do you do when they say grace at mealtime? Maybe you just don't have any religious friends......if so, I can certainly see why. On the other hand, I have many atheist friends.

I went to a baptist church when I was young and even then I knew it wasnt for me. No, I didnt yell and scream that they were all wrong, that would be disrespectful. At meal times I would look at my plate and wait patiently until the prayer was over.

I dont push my beliefs onto another person. I dont tell them that what they believe is hocus pocus. I dont tell them to skip the prayer but I also dont expect them to ask me to pray either.

I have nothing personal against religion, I actually think its beneficial to some people that need to believe in something. I dont need to believe in anything but myself. Thats what life is really, depending on yourself. You make your own decisions, period.

Last edited:

I dont pray. Praying is something you do if you are into religion. I am not. My beliefs are not a religion. Its the way I am and think and believe. Telling me to pray is you pushing your agenda.

If you want to pray then be happy and do so. Dont persecute me for not praying. Ill do more than praying by helping the individual or something else tangible. Praying is giving a wishful thought to someone. How cozy.

And you see something wrong with that?

Forum List

Back