Mass. 2nd grader sent home for crucifix drawing

Just a question...since you don't believe in God, what would it hurt to pray for/with her and make her feel better? What, do you think you're non-god will punish you?

So if someone says "Do these jeans make me look fat", do you answer honestly? Or try to make them feel better?
How do you pray when you don't have a God to pray too? Why should I have to behave like a hypocrite for some bossy Catholic? I offered that woman my sincere sympathy, I helped her carry stuff. She was the one who kept insisting I perform some religious act.
I don't think lying to that woman was going to do her any good if it only reinforced her need to shove religion on people. Just because she's old doesn't mean she can't learn to be tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs.

How's this? "I don't really believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray for/with you."

What's it gonna hurt? You make an old lady feel better and you don't hurt anyone since you're non-God can't possibly feel insulted.......or can he?

I'm beginning to think Atheism is a religion of it's own.

Since you didn't comprehend when I explained it before I'll put it another way. Suppose you were there instead of me and the old battle axe was an atheist who kept yelling at you and demanding you denounce your god so that she would feel better. Would you do it?

What you don't get with your nonsense about a non god not being insulted is that atheists have to answer to thier conscience while apparently you do not.

but anguille, did she ask you to believe in her God? I didn't see that in your comment....??? you said she asked you to pray for her to get well.... i don't see that as forcing you in to taking a stance on belieiving in God as your example of forcing someone to denounce their God....

do you not pray at all? Pray in the manner of ''wishing and praying that someone gets well''....let's say it is your mom that is sick....do you never take a moment of silence and pray that she overcomes her illness? or your dog was sick....do you not ever wish he would get well? do those thoughts or prayers of good will, never take place with an athiest? do you just never contemplate or pray for better circumstances? I guess I have never discussed this with my own friends that are atheists...?

care

“It hurts me that they did this to my kid,’’ Chester Johnson, the boy’s father, said in an interview with the Globe. “They can’t mess with our religion. They owe us a small lump sum for this.’’

“He said he was uncomfortable,’’ he said. “I also think they should give him a fully paid scholarship to the school of his choice. We should be compensated for our pain and suffering."

:lol:

In a some what related event, a woman at work tried to give me a 'gift car' entitling me to salutation.

Being sober at the time, I was tempted to launch into a rant about how it was implying the card was what granted the benefits printed (salvation, basically), instead od God's grace- making it the same as the Catholic scapular-v an idol and a trick o f the Devil. Between being on the clock and not want to seal with it, however, I just told her to find someone who'd 'appreciate it more than I would'.

Absolutely. Absolute faith and devotion to the mighty self. Most intolerant of all beliefs in my opinion, At leasr the radicals - which I think comprise 37.2 percebt. Lol
?

☭proletarian☭;1839052 said:
If I weren't in such a good good (read: so intoxicated), I'd reveal how retarded that statement was.

At some point, you need to ask yourself... if the whole world of people are retarded but you are not, what does that really make you? lonely? a freak? ??? odd man out???

☭proletarian☭;1839052 said:
If I weren't in such a good good (read: so intoxicated), I'd reveal how retarded that statement was.

At some point, you need to ask yourself... if the whole world of people are retarded but you are not, what does that really make you? lonely? a freak? ??? odd man out???

Nice trt, but loneliness it a mental state which may or may not result form personal perspective and interpretation..

Have you considered the possibility that not caring what you think gives me an opportunity to examine things in a more honest manner?

but anguille, did she ask you to believe in her God? I didn't see that in your comment....??? you said she asked you to pray for her to get well.... i don't see that as forcing you in to taking a stance on belieiving in God as your example of forcing someone to denounce their God....

do you not pray at all? Pray in the manner of ''wishing and praying that someone gets well''....let's say it is your mom that is sick....do you never take a moment of silence and pray that she overcomes her illness? or your dog was sick....do you not ever wish he would get well? do those thoughts or prayers of good will, never take place with an athiest? do you just never contemplate or pray for better circumstances? I guess I have never discussed this with my own friends that are atheists...?

care

Of course, I wish for the best for people but I do not pray to god. That is specifically what this woman was demanding. It was not enough for her that I was sympathetic, told her more than once that I hoped she would feel better soon and carried her stuff from her garden to her door. She was very insistant that I pray for her and when I finally said "I cannot pray for you, I am an atheist, I do not believe in god", she went ballistic and shouted insults at me till I just said 'I have to go now, I hope you feel better soon" and left.

“It hurts me that they did this to my kid,’’ Chester Johnson, the boy’s father, said in an interview with the Globe. “They can’t mess with our religion. They owe us a small lump sum for this.’’

“He said he was uncomfortable,’’ he said. “I also think they should give him a fully paid scholarship to the school of his choice. We should be compensated for our pain and suffering."

Holy Crap!

☭proletarian☭;1839046 said:
In a some what related event, a woman at work tried to give me a 'gift car' entitling me to salutation.

Being sober at the time, I was tempted to launch into a rant about how it was implying the card was what granted the benefits printed (salvation, basically), instead od God's grace- making it the same as the Catholic scapular-v an idol and a trick o f the Devil. Between being on the clock and not want to seal with it, however, I just told her to find someone who'd 'appreciate it more than I would'.
A gift what for what?

I guess you mean a gift card entitling you to salvation.

Does that mean you can go to Target now and buy people gift certificates that will get them into heaven?

Sometime you have to choose your battles. I'd probably have reacted the same as you and told her thanks but no thanks.

Anguille, if ever I am sick, I will gladly take medicine in place of prayer.

How do you pray when you don't have a God to pray too? Why should I have to behave like a hypocrite for some bossy Catholic? I offered that woman my sincere sympathy, I helped her carry stuff. She was the one who kept insisting I perform some religious act.
I don't think lying to that woman was going to do her any good if it only reinforced her need to shove religion on people. Just because she's old doesn't mean she can't learn to be tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs.

How's this? "I don't really believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray for/with you."

What's it gonna hurt? You make an old lady feel better and you don't hurt anyone since you're non-God can't possibly feel insulted.......or can he?

Since you didn't comprehend when I explained it before I'll put it another way. Suppose you were there instead of me and the old battle axe was an atheist who kept yelling at you and demanding you denounce your god so that she would feel better. Would you do it?

What you don't get with your nonsense about a non god not being insulted is that atheists have to answer to thier conscience while apparently you do not.

I can't put it any plainer, but it seems you are the one who doesn't understand. Why would it bother your conscious to pray to a God you don't believe exists, especially when you start out by telling the old lady you don't believe in God, but if it will make her feel better, you'll pray with her anyway. I'm sure your non-god would understand, why wouldn't your conscious?

Okay, daddy just lost his credibility.......dang it....

Okay, daddy just lost his credibility.......dang it....

Too bad I posted him saying a similar quote about the day after this started. That was pretty much the /thread moment but this thread trucked on like a Zombie.

I can't put it any plainer, but it seems you are the one who doesn't understand. Why would it bother your conscious to pray to a God you don't believe exists
Maybe she doesn't like lying?

☭proletarian☭;1841041 said:
I can't put it any plainer, but it seems you are the one who doesn't understand. Why would it bother your conscious to pray to a God you don't believe exists

Where is the lie? She says "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray with you." Again, where is the lie?

Prayer may not help but it sure as he** doesn't hurt.

He had just visited a shrine that had a Christmas Display. Here's the "violent image".

e2d916_crucifix12152009.jpg

For sure the school overreacted, but for many, Christmas is about "birth" not "death through torture". I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Where is the lie? She says "I don't believe in God, but if it will make you feel better, I will pray with you." Again, where is the lie?

To appeal to a character you know doesn't exist is a false prayer, a dishonest act. Some people don't like the feeling of performing a dishonest act.

☭proletarian☭;1841221 said:

To appeal to a character you know doesn't exist is a false prayer, a dishonest act. Some people don't like the feeling of performing a dishonest act.

Yeah, right, and they don't speed and they don't take pens from work or banks or stores either...get a grip.....

Like I said, for some atheists, atheism itself has become religion, that is the only justification to refuse to pray with someone is if it's against your religion.

Forum List

Back