Maryland plan to tax millionaires backfires

Avoiding taxes is not the same as tax evasion.

I would tend to agree although I am sure you and I would need to work out the details between avoidance and evading. If you, say, chose not to work as much and earn less, that would be legal avoidance. You avoided the tax by simply not having the money upon which the tax is laid.

However, hiding income for the explicit purpose of avoiding taxes that would otherwise be laid upon that income, well, that is tax evasion. And considering you haven't stated any intent other than actually avoiding taxes, if you aren't earning less or giving to charity, the field gets pretty narrow. For honest people anyway.

Defer income. Move a business someplace else.

I think it's partriotic to cut off states that are out of control like MD and CA right now.

They need to bottom out like a drunk. Go broke Start over.

"moving offshore" is exactly why the free trade fallacy would never work anyway.

But I digress..

Let them move. Let them leave the US. We don't need anyone whose patriotism is directly tied to how much they can extort the rest of the population. Let them enjoy their life as citizens of some other nation. And then tariff the fuck out of any business they try to do here.

That's nice. Liberals talk a big game about conservative polices encouraging jobs to move offshore.

Start a trade war. See where that gets you.

The tantrums you liberals throw when you can't get more of your sacred elixir of higher taxes are a laugh a minute.

I guess you'll have to tax the middle class.

They can't vote vote eith their feet.

I have been in MD for a long time.. and if it were not for child custody considerations and a battle that would ensue, I would move out of here in a heartbeat because of the absurd taxation... I would certainly 'avoid' this taxation to move to a state such as Florida or Nevada... the amount of bullshit programs that this state is addicted to, and the fact that it is the upper middle class and the upper class that foots about the entire bill for it all, is absolutely nauseating

Perfect metaphor. State spending is an addiction. Eventually you quit giving your strung out brother money. Tough love.

"moving offshore" is exactly why the free trade fallacy would never work anyway.

But I digress..

Let them move. Let them leave the US. We don't need anyone whose patriotism is directly tied to how much they can extort the rest of the population. Let them enjoy their life as citizens of some other nation. And then tariff the fuck out of any business they try to do here.

That's nice. Liberals talk a big game about conservative polices encouraging jobs to move offshore.

yea, heaven fucking forbid the American standard of living doesn't get normalized with that of a chinese slave or dirt poor mexican. I tellya, NOTHING says "scary trade war" quite like the 50s when american manufacturing wasn't tossed out with the foreign bathwater. I'm all for a trade war. When these imaginary foreign exports start coming even remotely close to our foreign imports then your battle cry will sound a lot more intimidating. As it is, the paper tiger of some bullshit trade war is about as much of a joke as local capitalistas willing to sell out their patriotism for cheaper labor in mexico.

:lol:

The tantrums you liberals throw when you can't get more of your sacred elixir of higher taxes are a laugh a minute.

indeed, and you'll get to enjoy your new citizenship in another country while crying about not being able to use American comers like a vampire uses a vein.

:cool:

indeed, and you'll get to enjoy your new citizenship in another country while crying about not being able to use American comers like a vampire uses a vein.

How's that working so far? Are you taxing or tarriffing 10 million jobs back into the economy?

When do those jobs start coming back?

But I digress..

yea, heaven fucking forbid the American standard of living doesn't get normalized with that of a chinese slave or dirt poor mexican. I tellya, NOTHING says "scary trade war" quite like the 50s when american manufacturing wasn't tossed out with the foreign bathwater. I'm all for a trade war. When these imaginary foreign exports start coming even remotely close to our foreign imports then your battle cry will sound a lot more intimidating. As it is, the paper tiger of some bullshit trade war is about as much of a joke as local capitalistas willing to sell out their patriotism for cheaper labor in mexico.

There was no foreign manufacturing in post war Europe or Asia in the 1950s, until Americans rebuilt those countries.

I suppose you had a problem with that policy?

How's that working so far? Are you taxing or tarriffing 10 million jobs back into the economy?

When do those jobs start coming back?

unfortunately, free-market capitalistas have been crying that the sky is falling during the last handful of years.. Did you think that everyone from the 80s who used to sport the "Hungry! Eat your import" bumper stickers went somewhere?

It's funny how you bitches run screaming when anyone brings up the trade deficit with these, apparently, big scary nations who threaten a fucking trade war.

:rofl:

There was no foreign manufacturing in post war Europe or Asia in the 1950s, until Americans rebuilt those countries.

When it comes to the point of totally crippling American manufacturing sectors, yes. I hate to break it to you but America isn't required to fall on it's sword for the sake of anyone else in the world. If we commit economic suicide then we can't help anyone else. How many former factory laborors whose jobs have been sent overseas do you really think gives a fuck about how many factories there are in Asia?

When do the jobs come back?

when free market capitalistas follow greenspan out the joke door. Ever see the video of Greenspan taking it up the ass regarding the eventual failure of free market policies specifically mentioning the auto industry? BACK IN THE EARLY 90s? Funny how he was forced to change his tune AFTER it turned out that his free market bullshit didn't turn out the way he'd planned, eh?

The tax increases failed to raise the expected revenues. Revenues even fell. What else is there to say?

Business sucks.

Trickle down doesn't work

Rich people are hiding all their money offshore.

You aren't rich enough to know the truth. Thats why your tax preparer isn't Bill Gates tax return person.

When everyone is making less, the government makes less too.

Need me to say more?

When it comes to the point of totally crippling American manufacturing sectors, yes. I hate to break it to you but America isn't required to fall on it's sword for the sake of anyone else in the world. If we commit economic suicide then we can't help anyone else. How many former factory laborors whose jobs have been sent overseas do you really think gives a fuck about how many factories there are in Asia?

The motivation for doing that was to prevent yet another despot to come to power against the backdrop of their collapsed economies, and start another world war. Since their economies were crushed by world war, it was thought to be the least we could do.

But I digress..

Guess you didn't read the OP or the article.

The tax increases failed to raise the expected revenues. Revenues even fell. What else is there to say?

Business sucks.

Trickle down doesn't work

Rich people are hiding all their money offshore.

You aren't rich enough to know the truth. Thats why your tax preparer isn't Bill Gates tax return person.

When everyone is making less, the government makes less too.

Need me to say more?

Get used to everyone making less. That's the best Barack Obama can do to make everyone equal.

See who else will create a job that can't go into business and make money off it.

This is good. Go toward the light. Tax increases do not yield the expected revenue increases because rational people to change behavior to avoid paying taxes.

Hey Fraulein. Do you know why you think we pay too much in taxes? Because you are a broke ass like the rest of us. We do pay too much in taxes.

But the fact that you think the rich pay too much in taxes, proves you are a broke ass like the rest of us.

So stop worrying about them. I know, they won't hire as many people if we raise their taxes and the cost of their goods and services will go up. Stop swallowing what your masters tell you.

They won't be happy until YOU and I are paying all the taxes.

Trust me, any tax break you got from Bush was gobbled up by inflation last year.

So it would be nice if you would start worrying about yourself. How many times is your $ taxed? You get paid and they tax it, you buy something and they tax you, and then you die and they tax your relatives.

At the end of the year what do you have?

They don't want you to become rich. If too many people are millionaires, it cheapens it.

And if you want to ask me who I mean when I say "THEM or THE RICH"? It is the people that benefitted from the $750 billion bailout. The Lehman Brothers, Dean Witter, Morgan Stanley, etc. And isn't it funny that they were the firms that showed all the companies how to avoid paying taxes.

Do you think one day you'll be one of them so you don't want to change the system? Trust me, you'll never have that kind of money. That's all old money.

The motivation for doing that was to prevent yet another despot to come to power against the backdrop of their collapsed economies, and start another world war. Since their economies were crushed by world war, it was thought to be the least we could do.

Funny, I don't recall our manufacturing economy jumping off of the fucking cliff like a lemming in order to provide that support... least WE could do, indeed.

Forum List

Back