Maryland Man Fined $50 for Picking Berries in Park

Obviously this is harassment, more about police overreach than city ordinances. Clearly picking raspberries, which are there for the picking, isn't "destroying" anything. And if they birds don't get 'em they'll die anyway. It sounds like he can easily get this dismissed, though the harassment shouldn't be going on in the first place.

So tell me, how does a poster in Lost Wages Nevada, over two thousand miles away, know Montgomery County Maryland is an "authoritarian leftists [sic] cesspool"? I'm a hell of a lot closer to it than you and I would never go out on a limb like that.

I did the same thing about a month ago -- found a patch of raspberries growing on the side of the road, in full fruit. Not only did I pick a bagful to take home, I dug up a couple of them and brought them to the front yard where I transplanted them so I'll have nice raspberries for the pickin' in the future. They took, too, so I expect they'll be fruiting for me next year.

Come and get me, copper.

Moochers need to go to the store and pay for their berries like everyone else. Berries in a public park should go to the homeless or the poor, not to some freeloader.

▲▲ I rest my case :stupid: ▲▲

So tell me, how does a poster in Lost Wages Nevada, over two thousand miles away, know Montgomery County Maryland is an "authoritarian leftists [sic] cesspool"? I'm a hell of a lot closer to it than you and I would never go out on a limb like that.

Moochers need to go to the store and pay for their berries like everyone else. Berries in a public park should go to the homeless or the poor, not to some freeloader.

If they're still on the bush --- they didn't. Which means they'll rot, or get picked by the birds.
Berries are first come, first served. If the hungry are hungry --- the berries are there. Just show up. No middleman required, just do it.

If they're still on the bush --- they didn't. Which means they'll rot, or get picked by the birds.
Berries are first come, first served. If the hungry are hungry --- the berries are there. Just show up. No middleman required, just do it.

So what if a hundred people came to the park to pick berries, or pick flowers, or pick mushrooms, or anything else that looked free? There wouldn't be a whole lot of renewables with everyone taking a sample. The cops should have just warned him off, but the land is for mutual enjoyment not mutual shopping.

So what if a hundred people came to the park to pick berries, or pick flowers, or pick mushrooms, or anything else that looked free? There wouldn't be a whole lot of renewables with everyone taking a sample.

Are a hundred people doing it?

So what if a hundred people came to the park to pick berries, or pick flowers, or pick mushrooms, or anything else that looked free? There wouldn't be a whole lot of renewables with everyone taking a sample. The cops should have just warned him off, but the land is for mutual enjoyment not mutual shopping.

What if didn't happen. It was one person who picked a berry which did not harm the plant in any way - and for this he gets a fifty dollar fine? It's not right.

So what if a hundred people came to the park to pick berries, or pick flowers, or pick mushrooms, or anything else that looked free? There wouldn't be a whole lot of renewables with everyone taking a sample.

I don't know. I do know that New York City had to clamp down on this problem and I'm sure it is a nuisance elsewhere. I do know that the Chairman of the County Young Republicans an obviously educated person should have known better.

At some point, the berries would be exhausted for the moment, and the pickers would simply have to look elsewhere. Nobody suggested raspberries grow only in one spot in Montgomery County Maryland. If that were the case they could be protected as an endangered species, which would make sense.

But they're not. They're part of Nature. And as such prohibiting people from picking makes as much sense as prohibiting potheads from puffing.

Tackle this quesiton: what the fuck is Montgomery County protecting them for? Birds? Is Montgomery County Maryland responsible for feeding the birds of the air??

This is a power trip, nothing more. One guy claiming he's in charge of Nature, like some kind of religion. He ain't, so fuck him.

There's a spot down the road, part of the National Park Service in fact, where huckleberries grow wild and thrive. I've got some of them in my reefer right now. My supply is dwindling so I'll be going up to replenish soon. If I don't, they'll be eaten by birds and bears.

Think the National Park Service is going to be up there writing citations for birds and bears? Or for citizens?

Nature's bounty is literally, ripe for the pickin'. That's what it's there for.

A public park. Hello? Who pays the taxes and upkeep for that public park? The people do. Can they eat their own berries? Yes, they should be able to.

I don't know. I do know that New York City had to clamp down on this problem and I'm sure it is a nuisance elsewhere. I do know that the Chairman of the County Young Republicans an obviously educated person should have known better.

Didn't the City of New York shut down their food pantries for the homeless?

This is Montgomery County, Maryland, not New York City with 8 million people and vagrants on every street corner.

At some point, the berries would be exhausted for the moment, and the pickers would simply have to look elsewhere. Nobody suggested raspberries grow only in one spot in Montgomery County Maryland. If that were the case they could be protected as an endangered species, which would make sense.

But they're not. They're part of Nature. And as such prohibiting people from picking makes as much sense as prohibiting potheads from puffing.

Tackle this quesiton: what the fuck is Montgomery County protecting them for? Birds? Is Montgomery County Maryland responsible for feeding the birds of the air??

This is a power trip, nothing more. One guy claiming he's in charge of Nature, like some kind of religion. He ain't, so fuck him.

There's a spot down the road, part of the National Park Service in fact, where huckleberries grow wild and thrive. I've got some of them in my reefer right now. My supply is dwindling so I'll be going up to replenish soon. If I don't, they'll be eaten by birds and bears.

Think the National Park Service is going to be up there writing citations for birds and bears? Or for citizens?

I agree that this case is a law enforcement overreach and I agree large swaths of land which have no apparent ownership should be free to pick. What makes it different is that this is a public park that everyone enjoys. Picking berries excludes others from that opportunity and deprives others from the enjoyment of seeing them and providing teaching moments to kids. It is a selfish act that doesn't have a place where we all go to enjoy.

I agree that this case is a law enforcement overreach and I agree large swaths of land which have no apparent ownership should be free to pick. What makes it different is that this is a public park that everyone enjoys. Picking berries excludes others from that opportunity and deprives others from the enjoyment of seeing them and providing teaching moments to kids. It is a selfish act that doesn't have a place where we all go to enjoy.

So if the man is hungry and eats a few berries he is selfish but if the birds eat the berries it is fine?

Genesis 1:29 tells us that God created those berries for people. Not birds.

It is written:
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Genesis 1:29

So if the man is hungry and eats a few berries he is selfish but if the birds eat the berries it is fine?

I don't have a problem with eating berries. I have a problem with someone filling a bag and taking it home while others remain law abiding.

Like I've been saying, when it comes to out and out oppression, the Feds have nothing on the locals.

I don't have a problem with eating berries. I have a problem with someone filling a bag and taking it home while others remain law abiding.

Those are not mutually exclusive. :banghead:

Nothing about picking berries is "destructive". WHAT does it "destroy"?

You don't have a problem with eating berries from a public park? Good. Neither do I. If there is a law against it? It needs to be changed. It is a ridiculous law.

Those are not mutually exclusive. :banghead:

Nothing about picking berries is "destructive". WHAT does it "destroy"?

I've never seen anyone get so picky about picking a few berries!

Forum List

Back