Mary Peltola: Native Alaskan Beats Sarah Palin In Special Election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravoactual

bravoactual
Dec 5, 2011
Sausalito, CA
UNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election for Alaska’s only U.S. House seat on Wednesday, besting a field that included Republican Sarah Palin, who was seeking a political comeback in the state where she was once governor.

Peltola, who is Yup’ik and turned 49 on Wednesday, will become the first Alaska Native to serve in the House and the first woman to hold the seat. She will serve the remaining months of the late Republican U.S. Rep. Don Young’s term. Young held the seat for 49 years before his death in March.

I don’t think there will be another birthday like today,” Peltola said.

Really I’m just so grateful to Alaskans and all the Alaskans who put their faith in me to fill out the remainder of Congressman Young’s term,” she said in an interview. “My desire is to follow in Congressman Young’s legacy of representing all Alaskans, and I’m just looking forward to getting to work.”

Peltola’s victory, in Alaska’s first statewide ranked choice voting election, is a boon for Democrats, particularly coming off better-than-expected performances in special elections around the country this year following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade. She will be the first Democrat to hold the seat since the late U.S. Rep. Nick Begich, who was seeking reelection in 1972 when his plane disappeared. Begich was later declared dead and Young in 1973 was elected to the seat.

• Love
Reactions: xyz
Not surprised this is a big event for you.
Ever stop and think one of the big reasons she lost is she quit her last elected job as governor?
I wouldn't have voted for her, for that reason.

OIP._LH1JQkaY8Cqh7tDscUHiwAAAA

I don't think the dems get that most right-leaners wish Palin would just disappear into the AK wilderness never to be seen or heard from again.
Not your boy Trump, he showed up to campaign with her. However, he still may get his wish, and this fellow grifter might go to the House come November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back