Marines turn to God ahead of anticipated Fallujah battle

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

Sat Nov 06 2004 09:37:17 ET

NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq, Nov 6 (AFP) - With US forces massing outside Fallujah, 35 marines swayed to Christian rock music and asked Jesus Christ to protect them in what could be the biggest battle since American troops invaded Iraq last year.

Men with buzzcuts and clad in their camouflage waved their hands in the air, M-16 assault rifles laying beside them, and chanted heavy metal-flavoured lyrics in praise of Christ late Friday in a yellow-brick chapel.

They counted among thousands of troops surrounding the city of Fallujah, seeking solace as they awaited Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's decision on whether or not to invade Fallujah.

"You are the sovereign. You're name is holy. You are the pure spotless lamb," a female voice cried out on the loudspeakers as the marines clapped their hands and closed their eyes, reflecting on what lay ahead for them.

The US military, with many soldiers coming from the conservative American south and midwest, has deep Christian roots.

In times that fighting looms, many soldiers draw on their evangelical or born-again heritage to help them face the battle.

"It's always comforting. Church attendance is always up before the big push," said First Sergeant Miles Thatford.

"Sometimes, all you've got is God."

Between the service's electric guitar religious tunes, marines stepped up on the chapel's small stage and recited a verse of scripture, meant to fortify them for war.

One spoke of their Old Testament hero, a shepherd who would become Israel's king, battling the Philistines some 3,000 years ago.

"Thus David prevailed over the Philistines," the marine said, reading from scripture, and the marines shouted back "Hoorah, King David," using their signature grunt of approval.

The marines drew parallels from the verse with their present situation, where they perceive themselves as warriors fighting barbaric men opposed to all that is good in the world.

"Victory belongs to the Lord," another young marine read.

Their chaplain, named Horne, told the worshippers they were stationed outside Fallujah to bring the Iraqis "freedom from oppression, rape, torture and murder ... We ask you God to bless us in that effort."

The marines then lined up and their chaplain blessed them with holy oil to protect them.

"God's people would be annointed with oil," the chaplain said, as he lightly dabbed oil on the marines' foreheads.

The crowd then followed him outside their small auditorium for a baptism of about a half-dozen marines who had just found Christ.

The young men lined up and at least three of them stripped down to their shorts.

The three laid down in a rubber dinghy filled with water and the chaplain's assistant, Navy corpsman Richard Vaughn, plunged their heads beneath the surface.

Smiling, Vaughn baptised them "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."

Dripping wet, Corporal Keith Arguelles beamed after his baptism.

"I just wanted to make sure I did this before I headed into the fight," he said on the military base not far from the city of Fallujah.

May god bless them and watch over them in this fight.

:salute:

All I can say is I wish I was there to support, but I'm not so I will support them from here. :bow2:

wolvie20m said:
May god bless them and watch over them in this fight.

:salute:

All I can say is I wish I was there to support, but I'm not so I will support them from here. :bow2:
Roger that wolvie! Our boys (and girls) need it!!!

drowe said:
Roger that wolvie! Our boys (and girls) need it!!!

Drowe, one of the things that pissed me off worse than anything during my younger days in the service was being referred to as a "boy". I figured that if I was old enough to be sent out to kill people and blow shit up then I was no longer a boy.

I know you didn't mean anything by your reference and don't take my comment as being hostile because it isn't. Just thought you might like to know.

The thing I'm wondering is how long it will take some lib ding-dong like hylandrdet to come in here and start spouting "These are government employees. How DARE they engage in religious activity on government time and while in uniform!!!"

Civilians fleeing Falluja 'shot by IS'...
icon_omg.gif

Iraq violence: Civilians 'shot by IS as they flee Falluja'
Mon, 06 Jun 2016 - Civilians fleeing Falluja, the Iraqi stronghold of the so-called Islamic State (IS), are being shot as they leave, an aid agency says.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said families it had interviewed described people being shot dead by IS as they crossed the Euphrates River. The NRC, that runs refugee camps near Falluja, said up to 50,000 people remained in the city. Iraq's army began the fight to retake the city late last month. Falluja lies just 50km (30 miles) west of Baghdad and has been held by IS since 2014. It is one of two remaining IS strongholds in Iraq.

_89887727_89887726.jpg

Civilians who fled their homes due to clashes on the outskirts of Falluja, gather in a school on the outskirts of Garma, Iraq​

Shakir al-Essawi, the head of Falluja's regional council, told Reuters people were trying to cross the Euphrates in refrigerators, cupboards and barrels. "Our biggest fears are now tragically confirmed with civilians being directly targeted while trying to flee to safety," said Nasr Muflahi, the Iraq country director of the NRC, in a statement which said "armed opposition groups" were behind the shooting. "This is the worst that we feared would happen to innocent men, women and children who have had to leave everything behind in order to save their lives."

Iraq's army said on Sunday it had all but encircled Falluja, with only the western bank of the Euphrates not under its control. The latest area secured by Iraq's military, with the help of US-led air strikes, was the southern district of Naymiyah, Associated Press reported. Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said last week that the offensive had been slowed down to protect people still inside Falluja. Other Iraqi officials have said IS is offering stiff resistance as troops push towards the city centre.

In other developments:

See also:

Iraqi forces find mass grave near Fallujah
June 6, 2016 - Police of Anbar said the mass burial site was discovered in the town of Saqlawiya, northwest of Fallujah in the Euphrates Valley
Iraqi forces involved in operations to retake the city of Fallujah found a mass grave believed to contain 400 bodies, a provincial official and a senior officer said. A colonel in the police of Anbar, where Fallujah is located, said the mass burial site was discovered in the town of Saqlawiya, northwest of Fallujah in the Euphrates Valley. "The security forces of the federal police, the army and the Hashed al-Shaabi found a mass grave in the Shuhada neighbourhood during a mine clearing operation," he said. "The mass grave contains about 400 bodies of members of the military. There are also some civilians," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to talk to the press.

1464690170-1838.jpg

Iraq's elite counter-terrorism forces gather ahead of an operation to re-take the Islamic State-held City of Fallujah, Iraq​

The colonel said most of the victims appeared to have been shot in the head. "The security forces have opened the mass grave and started transferring the bodies for identification," he said. The bodies are believed to belong mostly to Iraqi soldiers who were massacred by the Islamic State group in a series of devastating attacks on army bases in the area. "The organisation (IS) executed many members of the military, as well as civilians, in this area in late 2014 and early 2015," he said.

Rajeh Barakat, a member of the Anbar provincial council, confirmed the discovery. "The mass grave also includes civilians executed by Daesh (IS) on various charges such as spying or breaking the organisation's rules, " he said. Iraqi forces launched an operation to retake Fallujah— one of the jihadists' most emblematic bastions— two weeks ago. The offencive included operations to seal the siege of Fallujah by retaking the smaller town of Saqlawiya and its surroundings, a phase which has nearly been completed.

Iraqi forces find mass grave near Fallujah

Yes, it is wonderful that using the entire might of the U.S. military so thoroughly resolved problems in Iraq and surrounding areas. At least taking illegal, aggressive military action resulted in lasting good.
No wonder Putin and the Russians feel as they do about areas right on their borders, and also feel free to do as they please..

Forum List

Back