Marco Rubio votes "NO" on Violence Against Women Act

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Jennifer Bendery

WASHINGTON -- The Senate easily passed its Violence Against Women Act reauthorization bill on Tuesday, officially punting the issue to the House, where Republican leaders still haven't signaled how they plan to proceed.

The bill passed 78 to 22. It already had 62 cosponsors, which ensured its passage, but it picked up additional support from a handful of Republicans who weren't already sponsoring it.

Senators who voted against the bill included Republicans John Barrasso (Wyo.), Roy Blunt (Mo.), John Boozman (Ark.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Cornyn (Texas), Ted Cruz (Texas), Mike Enzi (Wyo.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Chuck Grassley (Iowa), Orrin Hatch (Utah), James Inhofe (Okla.), Mike Johanns (Neb.), Ron Johnson (Wisc.), Mike Lee (Utah), Mitch McConnell (Ky.), Rand Paul (Ky.), Jim Risch (Idaho), Pat Roberts (Kansas), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Jeff Sessions (Ala.), Jeff Thune (S.D.) and Tim Scott (S.C.).

Rubio, who put out a statement on his VAWA stance Tuesday, will give the Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address later Tuesday evening.

More: VAWA Vote: Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Violence Against Women Act

No surprise. Rubio is pretty, but is a 10 watt bulb. He should be on the cover of Vogue.

Regards from Rosie

No surprise. Rubio is pretty, but is a 10 watt bulb. He should be on the cover of Vogue.

Regards from Rosie

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think Rubio is homely, not very bright, with elephant ears.

Feb 12 2013

Statement on my Vote Against the Violence Against Women Act

I believe we should have re-authorized the existing Violence Against Women Act that has helped reduce the annual incidence of domestic violence by more than 50 percent, among other successes. I also continue supporting the work being done at the federal, state and local levels to combat domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking. I specifically support such ideas as:
Authorizing programs in the Department of Justice and Department of Health and Human Services to help prevent and reduce violence against women. The annual incidence of domestic violence has dropped more than 50 percent since VAWA became law.
Renewing previously successful programs that have helped law enforcement, prosecutors, and victim service providers keep victims safe and hold criminals accountable.
Consolidating 13 existing overlapping programs into 4 to reduce administrative costs and avoid duplication.
Including provisions that address the problem of untested sexual assault evidence that could be used to prosecute offenders and solve cold cases.

I was also proud to have cosponsored and voted for the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, which was presented by Senator Patrick Leahy as an amendment today. This amendment is almost identical to the 2011 legislation of the same name which I also co-sponsored. I fully support this re-authorization of programs to combat modern day slavery both in the United States and abroad. This amendment promotes increased cooperation among federal agencies, supports the victim-centered approach to trafficking and promotes accountability by ensuring federal funds are used for their intended purposes. I wish we could have had a full debate on this bill separately and the issue of human trafficking, so that more attention could be focused on the problem of modern day slavery. But I was nonetheless proud to support this measure and hope it eventually becomes law.

Unfortunately, I could not support the final, entire legislation that contains new provisions that could have potentially adverse consequences. Specifically, this bill would mandate the diversion of a portion of funding from domestic violence programs to sexual assault programs, although there’s no evidence to suggest this shift will result in a greater number of convictions. These funding decisions should be left up to the state-based coalitions that understand local needs best, but instead this new legislation would put those decisions into the hands of distant Washington bureaucrats in the Department of Justice. Additionally, I have concerns regarding the conferring of criminal jurisdiction to some Indian tribal governments over all persons in Indian country, including non-Indians.

Senator Marco Rubio, Florida

Feb 12 2013

I believe we should have re-authorized the existing Violence Against Women Act that has helped reduce the annual incidence of domestic violence by more than 50 percent, among other successes. I also continue supporting the work being done at the federal, state and local levels to combat domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking. I specifically support such ideas as:
Authorizing programs in the Department of Justice and Department of Health and Human Services to help prevent and reduce violence against women. The annual incidence of domestic violence has dropped more than 50 percent since VAWA became law.
Renewing previously successful programs that have helped law enforcement, prosecutors, and victim service providers keep victims safe and hold criminals accountable.
Consolidating 13 existing overlapping programs into 4 to reduce administrative costs and avoid duplication.
Including provisions that address the problem of untested sexual assault evidence that could be used to prosecute offenders and solve cold cases.

I was also proud to have cosponsored and voted for the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act, which was presented by Senator Patrick Leahy as an amendment today. This amendment is almost identical to the 2011 legislation of the same name which I also co-sponsored. I fully support this re-authorization of programs to combat modern day slavery both in the United States and abroad. This amendment promotes increased cooperation among federal agencies, supports the victim-centered approach to trafficking and promotes accountability by ensuring federal funds are used for their intended purposes. I wish we could have had a full debate on this bill separately and the issue of human trafficking, so that more attention could be focused on the problem of modern day slavery. But I was nonetheless proud to support this measure and hope it eventually becomes law.

Unfortunately, I could not support the final, entire legislation that contains new provisions that could have potentially adverse consequences. Specifically, this bill would mandate the diversion of a portion of funding from domestic violence programs to sexual assault programs, although there’s no evidence to suggest this shift will result in a greater number of convictions. These funding decisions should be left up to the state-based coalitions that understand local needs best, but instead this new legislation would put those decisions into the hands of distant Washington bureaucrats in the Department of Justice. Additionally, I have concerns regarding the conferring of criminal jurisdiction to some Indian tribal governments over all persons in Indian country, including non-Indians.

Yes, that seems to be a sticking point with several white Republicans. Sad...

Feb 12 2013

Hallelujah!

Someone who asked themselves, "I wonder what reasons he gave for not signing the act?"

Thank you.

I say we create an act entitled the "Save Children From Pedophiles Act" and pack it with all kinds of stuff that would do nothing to save kids from pedophiles. Then when anyone votes against it, we can say, "Senator Progressive wants children to be molested!!!!" and get all angry-like.

Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell all say........Just say YES about violence against women

Feb 12 2013

Hallelujah!

Someone who asked themselves, "I wonder what reasons he gave for not signing the act?"

Thank you.

I say we create an act entitled the "Save Children From Pedophiles Act" and pack it with all kinds of stuff that would do nothing to save kids from pedophiles. Then when anyone votes against it, we can say, "Senator Progressive wants children to be molested!!!!" and get all angry-like.

no kidding.

Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell all say........Just say YES about violence against women

No problem, all you Democrats,-liberals-progressives and Obama say yes to violence against a unborn baby..so shut up

Feb 12 2013

Why is what he said "sad"?

As Republicans ask Marco Rubio to build a bridge to Hispanic voters he burns the bridge to women voters

He will do well as a presidential candidate

Feb 12 2013

Why is what he said "sad"?

Have you not been following this? Do your own research - but it is sad that crimes against Native American women have been "falling through the cracks" due to confusing jurisdiction...

As Republicans ask Marco Rubio to build a bridge to Hispanic voters he burns the bridge to women voters

He will do well as a presidential candidate

Yeah sure, not all women are as shallow as you and the troll
the majority live their life without seeing the Government as their husband or daddy

Last edited:
Rubio is anti-Indian. Where tribal governments are supreme, then all in the specific nation should be subject to the tribal laws, including non-Indians.

Plus domestic violence monies going for sexual assault prevention. Oh Noes!

We'll help with the getting beat up part but for the rape part you're on your own.

It was a Republican that told us women's bodies shut down during rape.

They ALL need schooling about sexual assault. ASAP.

Regards from Rosie

Forum List

Back