Many anti-abortion activists before Roe were liberals who were inspired by 20th-century Catholic social teaching

It doesn't have to be the Catholic church. Baptists and Buddhists and even agnostics cared about the sanctity of human life in the 20th century.
100% brother. I stand united with my Baptist and Buddhist brothers against abortion We are against abortion and we are united.

What influenced me to make this post is because I am Catholic, I am a democrat and I am a liberal and there are so many of us the vast vast majority of us who are Catholic and liberal…. oppose abortion. That’s why this message had to be provided.

Just today I was driving past the planned parenthood clinic. A truly satanic site and it’s just shocking thing. But we are seeing some sort of a revolution among liberals in America and they’re going back to traditional liberalism which means standing against abortion. Abortion is murder it is the same thing as killing somebody randomly in the streets. For some reason some liberals do not see this because they have been brainwashed. It’s the same thing when you go back to the 1950s when we had Segregation in America people were not seeing things properly ….that’s why we had that that’s why we had slavery in Africa and slavery in America this was motivated by the devil.

That’s my position on the matter ….in world history in every continent there have been issues. People used to think that slavery was normal and acceptable …today people think abortion is normal and acceptable but soon their minds will be liberated. God willing

By the way there is nothing wrong with using the word satanic or “the devil “ and it’s another thing that some people on the left has been brainwashed by. So “evil “ comes in different matter you can be an atheist and still recognize that there is evil in this world like what we saw in Afghanistan with the Taliban brutalizing innocent people.

Sixties Fan

you made a bigoted claim that people who use the word “ the devil” are some kind of religious extremist. Jewish people in Israel would overwhelmingly disagree with you and then they would agree with me.

It’s like some people have a knee-jerk reaction when someone says hey I’m an atheist and I oppose abortion I am a Christian and I oppose abortion and I think that we should stand up to evil in this world. Like there’s nothing wrong with talking like this but you have a tiny number of Americans who are atheist and who get offended by this type of language. It’s really mind-boggling.

Last edited:
By the way there is nothing wrong with using the word satanic or “the devil “ and it’s another thing that some people on the left has been brainwashed by
Depends on if it is being weaponized against your opposition. Like claiming those who support abortion rights for women are minions of Satan, or are supporting evil, or some such nonsense. There is something evil in that.

Depends on if it is being weaponized against your opposition. Like claiming those who support abortion rights for women are minions of Satan, or are supporting evil, or some such nonsense. There is something evil in that.
You are supporting evil.

If attacking and killing innocent human beings - who you know to be innocent and helpless - for your own personal gain is not evil, then nothing is evil.

There is something evil in abortion. It’s like when you look at a Planned Parenthood clinic it’s like looking at a concentration camp. These so-called scientist or doctors are thinking of ways to kill babies. It is inhumane and savage my friend. i have nothing against you.. I’m against abortion.

BlindBoo

Brother I respect you. You cannot tell me what I think about women or similar . That will be like me just literally inventing something and saying you are against Black people. How would you like that?

The doctors are the biggest problem here. There’s tons of men and women the overwhelming majority of the world stands against abortion brother.

I don’t believe that most Americans support abortion. The polls get the elections wrong. Why should we believe that. But again large chunks of people used to support slavery large chunks of people supported sending Jews to the concentration camps. Large portions of people support abortion and they’re all wrong

You're pointing to the decline in Christianity first, and second the acceptance of modernity, modern medicine, and modern standards for women.

All of that should be compared to 19th. century Christianitiy and not 20th. century.

This of course is in sync with the fact that 2/3rds. of Americans favour some rights to abortion.
The 20th Century experimented with governments that still exist that removed Christianity. Lots of carnage and deaths in that. bloodiest century in history. People are brainwashed in many ways.

People like Hitler stood for abortion. But it was a great Christian men like Franklin Roosevelt who stood against Hitler. Franklin Roosevelt was against abortion he was pro life as were the majority of Democrats and Republicans of the World War II…

In Order to outlaw abortion across the country including in New York state ….it will Will take a sort of a revolution among the small numbers of Americans who support abortion. These people have to go to their Christian ancestors and embrace Christian values. Look at the rise in crime across this country, look at the downfall of the middle class look at the downfall of union jobs, look at the uprise of greed and brutality among rich capitalists that are nothing like the CEOs of history like a great man like Henry Ford who stood for the workingman.

Allow me to preface this by saying right now our country is going through an economic struggle. Just a few years ago we were embarrassed in Afghanistan that reminded us of the Vietnam debacle. Americans cannot afford a home. But here’s the thing we got through World War II we got through the Great Depression we will get through this with the power of positive thinking.

Part of the struggle we fit in America is with regard to the abortion issue. Abortion should be outlawed and if you look at history it makes no sense to stand for abortion. Liberals and conservatives have a post abortion it’s simply common sense it is a criminal action to kill a baby. And we can look and see how people could be so easily brainwashed to support abortion. It really is unthinkable it’s no different than killing anybody.

I am very proud to be a Catholic in the first place. I’m also proud to be an American and I’m proud to be a Democrat because all of these identifiers stand against abortion. To be a liberal means to stand against abortion and stand against the death penalty my brothers and sisters.

When I researched the early history of the anti-abortion movement for my book “Defenders of the Unborn: The Pro-Life Movement before Roe v. Wade,” one surprising finding was that the pre-Roe anti-abortion movement was filled with liberal Democrats who had supported the federal anti-poverty initiatives associated with President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Dealin the 1930s and President Lyndon Johnson’s social programs in the 1960s. They wanted to couple abortion restrictions with additional efforts to fight poverty and expand government-funded health care.

Catholic and Democrat

Most of the pre-Roe anti-abortion activists in the United States were inspired by 20th-century Catholic social teaching that connected the right to life for the unborn with a larger ethic of concern for the less fortunate. Like the majority of Catholic voters at the time, many were Democrats, and they hoped that a party that championed the poor would likewise be interested in protecting fetal life.

We should always defend the word liberal. Liberal means to liberate. To liberate oneself from a drug addiction or eating addiction or something of that nature. And there is so many misconceptions about Democrats and liberals. Democrats and liberals brought us the strongest military in American history. They brought us a society based on honor and dignity. And I will say again talk with any American man over the age of 90 they support Franklin Roosevelt. They support John F. Kennedy. They support the united auto workers. And they support the site of America being strong. They support Christianity.

All praise be to God

Praise be God.

That is arguable and beyond the scope of this thread for now at least. In any case, the thrust of the anti-abortionists is to eliminate all rights to abortion.
In the case of the life between the mother and the doctor that should be up to the doctor in the mother. This is something that is not considered abortion by the way from what I understand when it comes to the life of the mother or the child that is to say.

Btw it’s OK for folks to feel very strongly about issues. Many people across America feel strongly about raising the minimum wage…. well there’s many men and women who feel so strongly that they must be against abortion. This is in line with history.

In the case of A pregnancy due to a sexual assault which I have read happens far under one percent of the time….. That is a tragedy but as the politicians have said I believe it was the governor from North Dakota she said one tragedy should not lead to another tragedy.

With someone like me I’ll give you the answers to all the questions… most Republicans and honest Democrats do as well ….unlike some of our con artist politicians who don’t answer the tough questions on abortion and that is a disservice to their voters. I will always tell you how I feel my friend .

There is something evil in abortion. It’s like when you look at a Planned Parenthood clinic it’s like looking at a concentration camp. These so-called scientist or doctors are thinking of ways to kill babies. It is inhumane and savage my friend. i have nothing against you.. I’m against abortion.
We just disagree. There is nothing inherently evil about the procedure. I'm not for abortion. I'm for the woman/family's choice if necessary.

You are supporting evil.

If attacking and killing innocent human beings - who you know to be innocent and helpless - for your own personal gain is not evil, then nothing is evil.
Terminating or killing a developing fetus should be a legal option a woman can make with regards to her own baby factory. Neither the Government nor any authority should have the right to force her to carry it to term. I agree with the old precedent that states can intervene once the fetus is viable. Of course it should be seen as the last option, not the first.

Allow me to preface this by saying right now our country is going through an economic struggle. Just a few years ago we were embarrassed in Afghanistan that reminded us of the Vietnam debacle. Americans cannot afford a home. But here’s the thing we got through World War II we got through the Great Depression we will get through this with the power of positive thinking.

Part of the struggle we fit in America is with regard to the abortion issue. Abortion should be outlawed and if you look at history it makes no sense to stand for abortion. Liberals and conservatives have a post abortion it’s simply common sense it is a criminal action to kill a baby. And we can look and see how people could be so easily brainwashed to support abortion. It really is unthinkable it’s no different than killing anybody.

I am very proud to be a Catholic in the first place. I’m also proud to be an American and I’m proud to be a Democrat because all of these identifiers stand against abortion. To be a liberal means to stand against abortion and stand against the death penalty my brothers and sisters.

When I researched the early history of the anti-abortion movement for my book “Defenders of the Unborn: The Pro-Life Movement before Roe v. Wade,” one surprising finding was that the pre-Roe anti-abortion movement was filled with liberal Democrats who had supported the federal anti-poverty initiatives associated with President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Dealin the 1930s and President Lyndon Johnson’s social programs in the 1960s. They wanted to couple abortion restrictions with additional efforts to fight poverty and expand government-funded health care.

Catholic and Democrat

Most of the pre-Roe anti-abortion activists in the United States were inspired by 20th-century Catholic social teaching that connected the right to life for the unborn with a larger ethic of concern for the less fortunate. Like the majority of Catholic voters at the time, many were Democrats, and they hoped that a party that championed the poor would likewise be interested in protecting fetal life.

We should always defend the word liberal. Liberal means to liberate. To liberate oneself from a drug addiction or eating addiction or something of that nature. And there is so many misconceptions about Democrats and liberals. Democrats and liberals brought us the strongest military in American history. They brought us a society based on honor and dignity. And I will say again talk with any American man over the age of 90 they support Franklin Roosevelt. They support John F. Kennedy. They support the united auto workers. And they support the site of America being strong. They support Christianity.

All praise be to God

A very interesting post!!!!!!! There were secular liberals who were anti-abortion, for example, the great columnist Murray Kempton [ Murray Kempton - Wikipedia ]. And then there are these interesting people, the ProLife Alliance of Gays and Lesbians [ plagal.com is available for purchase - Sedo.com ]

The problem many of us have with abortion is this: If we contemplate a baby in its mother's womb, a week before delivery, almost everyone would say that the mother should not be allowed to kill it. Even pro-abortionists who want no restrictions on abortion will argue that this would never happen to a healthy baby under normal circumstances, and that late-term abortion would only happen if there was a threat to the mother's life, or if a doctor judged it non-viable.

The problem is, when an egg is fertilized by a sperm, a nearly-ready-to-be-born baby doesn't instantly appear. At first, it's just a sperm embedded in a egg.

And some -- most?-- anti-abortionists believe that this sperm-embedded-in-an-egg should be treated just like a ready-to-be-born baby. So they would outlaw morning-after pills. And that's where most of us get off the bus.

And the real problem is this: there is a smooth, seamless transition from sperm-in-an-egg, to a healthy baby ready to be born. So, if you are willing to allow the potential mother to kill that sperm-in-an-egg, where do you draw the line?
Any place you draw it is necessarily arbitrary. You can kill it at X days growth, but not one minute afterwards?

On another subject: the American conservative movement really needs to consider the social teaching of the Catholic Church, and stop pretending to be libertarians who in practice accept all the social welfare measures, like Social Security and Workmen's Compensation, that the liberals put in place. And I say this as someone who is not religious.

Forum List

Back