Man’s Legs, Forearms Amputated After Dog Lick Leads To Horrifying Infection

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
5b636e3e1900001403500fb6.jpeg

He has three more surgeries to go.

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A Wisconsin man was preparing for additional surgeries after having part of his legs and forearms amputated because of a dog lick that led to a rare blood infection, his wife said Thursday.

Greg Manteufel, 48, has been hospitalized since late June, when he went to a Milwaukee-area hospital with flu-like symptoms. He was in good spirits despite having undergone seven surgeries so far, his wife, Dawn Manteufel, told The Associated Press.

She said her husband was heading into the operating room again on Thursday and still had three more surgeries to go, but that he was looking forward to being fitted for prosthetic limbs.

“He’s happy to be here. He said he didn’t come this far to cry about it and say, ‘Why me?’” she said.

Her husband was diagnosed with a blood infection caused by capnocytophaga, bacteria that is common in the saliva of cats and dogs but almost never leads to illness, said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an epidemiologist with Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, where Manteufel is being treated.

The doctor said animal lovers have no need to panic: They’re more likely to die in a car accident than to be infected by the bacteria.

“It’s extremely rare. Do not get rid of your pets. Continue behaving the same way that you have behaved with your pets up until now,” Munoz-Price said.

Man's Legs, Forearms Amputated After Dog Lick Leads To Horrifying Infection

It may be extremely rare - but I wouldn't be letting any cats and dogs lick me. What do you think?

Muslims (and even the Bible) call these creatures "unclean." Islam takes it too far. Wonder why these bacteria don't affect these animals.

Letting a dog lick a wound is an old Appalachian remedy to prevent infection.

Dogs have much less bacteria in their mouths than humans. Kissing a dog is safer than kissing your spouse.

Dogs licking their asses is no more yucky than gays giving BJs right after buttfucking.

Dogs have much less bacteria in their mouths than humans. Kissing a dog is safer than kissing your spouse.

Dogs licking their asses is no more yucky than gays giving BJs right after buttfucking.

Your insightful insider knowledge is very interesting.

I suspect pet owners will become more careful about not letting pets lick them or getting saliva on their hands and body.

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A Wisconsin man was preparing for additional surgeries after having part of his legs and forearms amputated because of a dog lick that led to a rare blood infection, his wife said Thursday.

Greg Manteufel, 48, has been hospitalized since late June, when he went to a Milwaukee-area hospital with flu-like symptoms. He was in good spirits despite having undergone seven surgeries so far, his wife, Dawn Manteufel, told The Associated Press.

She said her husband was heading into the operating room again on Thursday and still had three more surgeries to go, but that he was looking forward to being fitted for prosthetic limbs.

“He’s happy to be here. He said he didn’t come this far to cry about it and say, ‘Why me?’” she said.

Her husband was diagnosed with a blood infection caused by capnocytophaga, bacteria that is common in the saliva of cats and dogs but almost never leads to illness, said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an epidemiologist with Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin, where Manteufel is being treated.

The doctor said animal lovers have no need to panic: They’re more likely to die in a car accident than to be infected by the bacteria.

“It’s extremely rare. Do not get rid of your pets. Continue behaving the same way that you have behaved with your pets up until now,” Munoz-Price said.

It may be extremely rare - but I wouldn't be letting any cats and dogs lick me. What do you think?

That is strange post a post and it shows a blank page.

Psalm 50:10-11

"For every beast of the forest is Mine, The cattle on a thousand hills. "I know every bird of the mountains, And everything that moves in the field is Mine."

Dear GOD Bless all creatures on Earth....great and small....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stupidity of men and women.....is another story.

That is strange post a post and it shows a blank page.

Are you saying my link doesn't open for you? It works fine for me.

Or any number of girls on the Internet apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine that a lot of pet owners are a little worried about this scary report.

What is capnocytophaga canimorsus, exactly?

Capnocytophaga is a bacteria commonly found in the mouths of dogs, cats and even humans, and is considered “normal oral flora,” according to the CDC. Up to 74 percent to dogs and 57 percent of cats have some form of capnocytophaga in their mouths.

There are many species of capnocytophaga. One of those species ― capnocytophaga canimorsus, commonly found in dog and cat mouths ― can potentially cause serious infection when transmitted to humans.

It’s possible to test pets for the presence of the bacteria, but such tests usually aren’t very helpful because an animal might have the bacteria one day but not have it the next, according to the CDC. And it’s not practical to treat animals with medicine to get rid of the bacteria because it’s a normal part of their biology.

Please Don't Give Up Your Pet Over The Fear Of Dog-Lick Bacteria

Forum List

Back