Man accused of Child Abuse for removing child from Ritilin...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Jun 8, 2004.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Living/US/mental_illness_treatment_kids_040607-1.html

What the hell is this country coming too? No offense to any teachers here, but fucking deal with it!!! Kids are disruptive and unattentive. You fucking deal with it. Its your job. I have a friend who is a teacher and she complains all day about the kids being bad, but she deals with it and disciplines them. Teachers are getting paid too much to be just dismissing bad kids nowadays.

And whats the deal with charging the father with child abuse? Has communism come home? Can we not even decide what is best for our children's well being short of endangering their lives? This is not an endangerment to the child's life. It is inconviencing a lazy teachers work day. I'm sickened by this story. Absolutely sickened and i don't even have kids yet.

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't post this. It goes against both parties.

You are now joining the ranks of those understanding the collective government is NOT here for our best interest anymore.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    insein, I agree, this is total BS. While I think some parents are bad disciplinarians and leave a lot on the teacher's lap, I also think that WAY too many boys are being drugged throughout grade school, to the detriment of their lives. Moreover, the parent should be involved in the medical decisions of his/her child. If the father saw that the Ritalin (a questionable drug in the first place, IMO) was having negative side effects on his child, it should be his option to take his son off of it. The doctor only sees the child for a little bit; the parent see him everyday and his better qualified to make judgments about the side effects of medicine.

And NewGuy, that remark is not true. Republicans (at least the conservatives among us) do not see government as the solution to any problems, save those of national defense and other essential federal functions. This is not one of them.

4. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Define "essential federal functions", then.

-And if you don't mind, if you could show Constitutional support for that capacity, I would be happy to see it.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, I'm one.

I agree with you and I believe, newguy. Too many boys are being medicated and girls too. With that said, teachers at least in Illinois, cannot make diagnosis. You will lose certification and are open to lawsuits if you do.

However, it is parents that are rushing their children to the pediatricians for medications to make them 'behave' rather than spending the time it takes to enforce rules, make them do chores, act civil to others, do homework, and check up on them.

On the other hand, there are and always have been a very small number of children that cannot learn, because they cannot pay attention. (My take would be about 1 in 50-75). These are mostly good kids with good parents. They want to learn, but anything diverts their attention. Really this takes a pediatric neurologist and extensive testing to make a good diagnosis. Most parents want to deal with their pediatrician for $75 and a script.

In any case, I would be of the mindset that if the parents choose not to medicate, that should be their right. They ultimately are the best arbitar for their children.

6. brneyedgrl80

brneyedgrl80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with you insein, except on the part that teachers get paid too much. Teachers do not get paid nearly enough for what they do. The only state that pays well is Pennsylvania.

Starting salary for a teacher in San Diego is only about $40,000. But when you take into account that the cost of living is high and median housing prices are $450,000. You see that teachers really do not make enough.

And one thing to add to what Kathianne said is that a lot of parents get benefits from the government if they're kids have to be on medication. It's a shame, but there are tons of cases out there where the kid has no problems but the parent is so persistent that a doctor will finally recommend something just so the parents get some sort of income from the government. :(

7. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i thought medicating a child when it wasn't necessary is child abuse or even illegal, considering they are not legal adults, and cannot decide for themselves whether or not to take the meds.

my brother was diagnosed with ADD, and he actually has it. I was diagnosed later in my life, but neither of us are on meds. We were lucky to have great teachers who have been patient with us. Class size is not even an issue. I graduated in a class of 798 in 1999. The school population the day i graduated was 3012. At my Senior all-night party, I saw kids I had never met before in the 3 years I attended that school. Our average class size was 38 kids. Yet the graduating average for the class of 1999 was a 3.2. The kids I went to school with took responsibility for their own learning. The teacher cannot force the info to be absorbed and remembered for the tests. You had to find your own way of doing that. The class size argument is a false one.

8. brneyedgrl80

brneyedgrl80 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Who said anything about class-size? Unless it's in the full article, which I did not read.

I graduated in a class of 525 where the school campus was 2600. A normal class size is 30 where honestly, that is too many. I do agree that at high school age it is up to the student to obsorb the info. because the teacher can only do so much before it is finally up to the student in the end.

But to my understanding, this was not high school. At a younger age, the teacher really does need to take the reins and be in charge to ensure that students are learning because that molds the students for high school eventually.

When I went to elementary school and middle school, classes were very over crowded even back then at about 25-30 students per classroom.

The desired number is 15 students per classroom where teaching can be effective, according to my mother, who is a teacher.

I'm not implying that class size has anything to do with this. As I stated above I agree with insein other than on teacher wages.

9. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,797
    This is utter bull shit. This is hitlery clinton's "it takes a village" communistic mentality at it's best. It's taking away ALL decision making about the kid and putting in the hands of BIG GOVERNMENT! And that's BULL SHIT!

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    it's not that it originallly was said by someone, it's that i figured someone would bring it up as a part of the reasons why kids don't learn well. it's almost always brought up in conversations like this.