Making Sense of the Zimmerman Verdict

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Can we discuss the Zimmerman verdict without the vitriol and sarcasm?

Do you expect racial strife?

Do you understand the verdict although you did not agree with it?

Can you understand the viewpoints of others who disagreed with you? although the verdict validated your viewpoint?

Can you agree to disagree with others without being rude?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still say that Zimmerman could have stayed in his truck and the life of TM could have been spared. Is there anyone out there who wanted an acquittal agree with me on that one small point?

I also understand, that if someone is being beat you up, defending yourself is a natural progression of the altercation, even shooting the person who is beating you.

Can you agree with the other side on the on the points of argument?

Making sense of the Zimmerman verdict.

The jury followed the law, common sense, the evidence and their oaths.

They found him not guilty because the State failed in its burden of proof and the State failed in its burden of proof because Zimmerman was in fact innocent.

I agree with the verdict based on the State's failure to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Beyond that, there is nothing for me to consider as far as the verdict.

The case was sensationalized, politicized and homogenized into a race on race situation.

I see two poor souls who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I hope their families can find some peace and rest in the years to come.

I still say that Zimmerman could have stayed in his truck and the life of TM could have been spared. Is there anyone out there who wanted an acquittal agree with me on that one small point?

I also understand, that if someone is being beat you up, defending yourself is a natural progression of the altercation, even shooting the person who is beating you.

I agree a little bit. Everyone has the right to defend themselves. But both people were at fault here. They both deserve blame for what happened. Except now one of them gets to walk free and one of them is dead.

Justice took a blow with that verdict.

Not Guilty was no surprise.

Will there be adverse reaction to the verdict? If the press has there way I think there could be. Watching the Sunday shows this morning it appears some are trying. Using the photos of a much younger Martin leads me to believe so.

I agree a little bit. Everyone has the right to defend themselves. But both people were at fault here. They both deserve blame for what happened. Except now one of them gets to walk free and one of them is dead.

Justice triumphed.

Not Guilty was no surprise.

Will there be adverse reaction to the verdict? If the press has there way I think there could be. Watching the Sunday shows this morning it appears some are trying. Using the photos of a much younger Martin leads me to believe so.

I didn't watch any of the shows, but I think it's vindictiveness of the part of the media to try to arouse this trouble.

Justice triumphed.

What would you do if he'd killed your son? Under the exact same circumstances?

Justice triumphed.

Grieve.

What would YOU do if your son had been the one to defend himself from a clearly violent assault yet been dragged through this unjust Bizzaro world persecution?

Justice triumphed.

You didn't ask me, but I would search my soul for peace.

You didn't ask me, but I would search my soul for peace.

I don't have any children yet... but I don't know if peace would ever come.

I do have a son and to imagine that is something that is so hard to compute in my mind and my heart. It would be so very hard.

Ilar asked what if my son had been in Zimmerman's shoes. I would support him and pray for his peace. Somehow, he would have a life again.

Justice triumphed.

It depends if you believe the evidence or not. The evidence was that Martin had Zimmerman in a very vulnerable position, and instead of getting up and leaving he continued to pummel. What I would have done would have happened years before this would have ever happened.

The prosecution's first mistake was trying for 2nd degree murder. No way in the world did they have a chance at proving that Zimmerman planned to kill Martin. They realized it at the end of the trial and tried to convince the judge to instruct the jury to consider a lesser charge but it was an obvious desperate move and it was too late. The wild posturing and acting by the prosecution team did nothing to enhance their case but in fact might have backfired.

Not only did the over charge, but they presented the Zimmerman tapes making it unnecessary for Zimmerman to take the stand.

Martin’s Twitter feed reads as a parody of poor grammar and an even more impoverished vocabulary. There, he’s a “No Limit N-gga,” girls he knows are "bitc**s" and “hoes,” and the primary extracurricular activity he immerses himself in is marijuana. The gold-teeth smile, the tattoos, the ten-day suspension from school, and all the rest appear as pathetic attempts to assert his virility. Yet, as his supporters point out, Trayvon also liked Skittles and Chuck E. Cheese’s.

Not only did the over charge, but they presented the Zimmerman tapes making it unnecessary for Zimmerman to take the stand.

A case that should never have been brought yielded some very poor prosecutorial decisions.

Garbage in, more garbage in.

Actually, some of the errors were so blatant, one wondered if they were intentional. How many prosecution witnesses were turned around on direct? Now, that was bad!

Forum List

Back