Make the World’s Sweets a Lot Healthier

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Don’t worry, your sweet tooth will still be satisfied.

WTF? Are you kidding me? I can't even express my *outrage* at this- people have lost their ever loving minds.

Excerpt: Food-grade silica is commonly found in lots of foods. The mineral is in green beans, rice, whole-grain breads, and raisins, to name a few; it’s been shown to strengthen bones and lower the risk of osteoporosis. The scientists at DouxMatok like using it for two reasons. The first is that it’s porous, covered by nooks and crannies that can be filled with smaller sugar molecules. The second reason is that silica is really good at finding its way to our taste buds.

Excerpt: Food-grade silica is commonly found in lots of foods. The mineral is in green beans, rice, whole-grain breads, and raisins, to name a few; it’s been shown to strengthen bones and lower the risk of osteoporosis.

I call solid digestive waste from a male bovine.

Silica is basically glass. It's biologically inert. Any safe form of it would just pass through our digestive tract, undigested and unaltered. There's no way for it to have any effect on our bones.

That said, I do fine the article's explanation about how it might improve our ability to taste sugar, and thus reduce the amount of sugar that needs to be present in sweet foods, to be somewhat plausible.

Forum List

Back