Majority Rule vs Individual Rights

Which is more important?

• Majority Rule

• Individual Rights

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you had to sacrifice one for the other, which would you choose?

Don't bore me with details. I know it doesn't have to be a dichotomy. I know it depends on the details of any given situation. I don't care. For the purposes of the pole, take as stand. In broad strokes, which is more important to you?

How long is the is pole? 10 ft? I am not touching it!

What do you believe in?

Only 2 things: Right and Wrong. They were installed in humanity thousands of years ago and do not change. Things like Personal Responsibility, the Proper Roles of Men and women in Society, and the responsibility of Government yo enforce Morals and Values in the strictest and most brutal way possible.

What do you believe in?

Only 2 things: Right and Wrong. They were installed in humanity thousands of years ago and do not change. Things like Personal Responsibility, the Proper Roles of Men and women in Society, and the responsibility of Government yo enforce Mirals and Calies in the strictest and most brutal way possible.
Not meaning to be smart-azzed, but what are Mirals and Calies? I don't dispute personal responsibility but it would seem the the proper roles of men and women are being disputed by some factions in today's "society".

Don't bore me with details. I know it doesn't have to be a dichotomy. I know it depends on the details of any given situation. I don't care. For the purposes of the pole, take as stand. In broad strokes, which is more important to you?

You start a thread and don't want people to give you details? Right...

Which is more important?

It's like asking which you'd prefer, to get sunburned every day or to never see the sun. Life is a balance. I like balance.

Looooooozer. Follow the rules or take a hike.

I don't dispute personal responsibility but it would seem the the proper roles of men and women are being disputed by some factions in today's "society".

I’m quite sure you understood Morals and Values.

Yes they areresusting their proper place; because we’ve failed to rigorously purge Society of those with improper Morals and Values.

Whoever said, 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few' only said it because his needs weren't in jeopardy.

I believe it was Spock, and he said it when explaining to Kirk why he accepted certain death to save the ship and its crew.
That was Spock's personal choice and his opinion.

In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Spock's mother tells him that his rescue was brought about because his friends felt the needs of the one outweighed the needs of the many.

The answer to this conundrum is adult undergarments for incontinence:

Depends!

If you are older than fifty you have to scratch your head when idiot posters suggest that individual rights and majority rule is not compatible. Generations of ignorant Americans were taught more about a condom on a cucumber than the greatest document in civilized history.

Pop-culture educated liberals might not understand it but individual rights are spelled out in the Constitution. Regardless of the changing moods and attitudes of the vocal alleged "majority" we rely on Constitutional scholars to settle disputes about the Constitutionality of laws. Would you have it any other way?

How were the Founding Fathers for Individual Rights, when only White land owning men could even vote in the first election?

I don't dispute personal responsibility but it would seem the the proper roles of men and women are being disputed by some factions in today's "society".

I’m quite sure you understood Morals and Values.

Yes they are, because we’ve failed to rigorously purge Society of those with improper Morals and Values.
I was guessing something like that, but thanks for clearing things up. Spell-check isn't always what it's cracked up to be. And yes, I agree that morals and values are important. What we're experiencing right now is a severe schism about what constitutes "morals" and "values". Some of us consider abortion to be the murder of unborn children perpetrated by women who preferred easy sexual gratification to the choice of saying "no". Others consider denial of the "right" to an abortion to be an abrogation of individual right to choose it as an option to other forms of birth control.

If you are older than fifty you have to scratch your head when idiot posters suggest that individual rights and majority rule is not compatible. Generations of ignorant Americans were taught more about a condom on a cucumber than the greatest document in civilized history.

I agree. More people need to read the magna carta...

I was guessing something like that, but thanks for clearing things up. Spell-check isn't always what it's cracked up to be. And yes, I agree that morals and values are important. What we're experiencing right now is a severe schism about what constitutes "morals" and "values". Some of us consider abortion to be the murder of unborn children perpetrated by women who preferred easy sexual gratification to the choice of saying "no". Others consider denial of the "right" to an abortion to be an abrogation of individual right to choose it as an option to other forms of birth control.

Those things were determined thousands of years ago. The problem is that we’ve reached a point in technology and “intellect” where people want to believe they can out-think or supersede the powers that created this universe because they don’t like the rules.

Those things were determined thousands of years ago. The problem is that we’ve reached a point in technology and “intellect” where people want to believe they can out-think or supersede the powers that created this universe because they don’t like the rules.

What powers? What rules?

Individual liberty should be paramount for everyone, sadly it’s not.

In our Constitutional Republic citizens are subject solely to the rule of law, not men, as men are incapable of ruling justly; our rights and protected liberties are consequently not subject to the ‘will of the people.’

And ‘majority rule’ is valid only when the people enact laws and measures consistent with the Constitution and its case law.

Pop-culture educated liberals might not understand it but individual rights are spelled out in the Constitution. Regardless of the changing moods and attitudes of the vocal alleged "majority" we rely on Constitutional scholars to settle disputes about the Constitutionality of laws. Would you have it any other way?

How were the Founding Fathers for Individual Rights, when only White land owning men could even vote in the first election?
The Founding Fathers created the greatest document in history up until the time when islamic morons who lived int he 6th century (still do) were beheading Christians and sodomizing (still do) young men. The point is that the Bill of Rights is the only document in human history that limits the power of the government and it still works.

Forum List

Back