Maineman

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    did you see this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...AR2007120701772.html?hpid=opinionsbox1&sub=AR

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I agree there shouldn't be partisanship in funding the troops, Kathianne. Now all Bush has to do to make that happen is to sign off on a Bill that makes sure Congress can oversee what he's doing and provides for benchmarks. Remember, he's the one who's said he'd veto any funding bill that provides for that. I figure ball's in his court.

Or does bi-partisanship only run one way?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So why would the Dems be slipping domestic funding into the bill? I mean they would have no problem writing a domestic appropriation bill or adding the items to one already written. You're correct though, he'll have to hit that ball, one way or the other. Then again, he's not running for re-election, so he can tell 'the people' why it will be vetoed and send it back, again.

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    There are always unrelated things "slipped" into Bills. That said, it should be a straight up or down because the point is better made. But, as I always say about my party, we have an extraordinary knack for grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Congress will lose. And Bush knows it. Congress already has oversight. They can cut off funding. They do not have the Constitutional power or Authority to tell the President how to run a war. Their power is in budget. Either fund it or don't fund it.

Hell they can even be specific and write a bill that only funds all none Iraq expenses and ONLY provides funds to withdraw the troops. What they want is power they are NOT granted.

Congressional Losers, err I mean Democrats know now that the war is not the doom and gloom they have been insisting it was they can not cut off funds. So instead they want to tell the President how to run a war. They want to get what they want and be able to pretend they didn't cause us to lose.

These guys have no backbone. Bush won't blink and the Dems will look the fools they are. Just like when Reagan forced them to increase the defense funding in the 80's.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    On the other hand, 'my party' :rolleyes: has had perhaps too much luck pulling victory out when defeat may have helped to save it.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    Might be... *sigh*

9. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Congress has the power to fund the war, or not. That's its 'oversight' - its check against the power of the commander in chief.

Congressional Dems simply wants to make sure that we lose the war, as they have staked their political future on it.