Mac laptop computers?????

True ... sorry, still use to the older Macs that had no option for such. but if you do install over their OS you pretty much lose the benefit you are paying for, the extra customer support. Now however, as I said, they are going Linux/Unix more each new release and soon they may be completely Linux, but still, I like my PCs with Linux, I like to customize the hardware a LOT and change it up frequently, just can't do that with Macs as much since I didn't grow up with them.

The ridiculous condescending attitude you have towards MAC users is typical of geeks. Great, you spend your life focused on everything about computers, who gives a shit? I don't care about building a computer system, I also don't want to build a car or an airplane, I just want to use them to get what I need out of them. I also want for them to work all of the time, in a logical way, look good on my desk and show a great amount of creativity in their design........ inside and out.

You use Linux, good for you, enjoy it. I use OSX on an IMac and don't have to waste time I can be using to do something else, working on my computer, I work with it. The time you have spent working on computers is great, good for you, hope you make a good living at it. But...... others have also spent their lives learning what they enjoy and shouldn't be denigrated for not being a computer geek. The fact that you parrot the bullshit excuse for lack of viruses in MACs tells me you know less than you think. Are we really suppose to believe that the type of asshole that creates viruses wouldn't want to create one for MAC just to shut people like me up? I have no fire wall, no virus protection....... I open all email, have downloaded over 5,000 songs and movies and never had a hiccup on my old G4......... never a crash with OSX. That makes owning a MAC worth it to me, but then again, I don't play games and couldn't give a crap about putting tacky little lights and liquid cooling in my machine.

Your reading comprehension is VERY poor ... so very very very poor ...

You don't even realize that I have endorsed Macs a lot do you? You don't seem to notice that for all new computer users who are not interested in becoming geeks I always recommend Macs ... do you?

As for the virus "excuse", it's not an excuse, it's a fact. Until they went Unix/Linux core they had no security, but then they didn't need it because sensitive information was not commonly stored on them, considering that all the government agencies HAVE to use Microsoft only products thanks to a contract they signed a long time ago, which I don't think should be valid anymore but meh, besides the point.

Um ... "Print Screen" ... it's right on the keyboard. In Windoze it copies to a buffer which you can paste into whatever pain program you like, in Gnome it opens a dialogue allowing you to choose what to do with it. As I said, Mac is for people who just don't want to know how the machines work and like having access to customer service, that's what you pay for with it. Windoze is obsolete now, and quickly all the popular Windoze programs (even the games) are being ported to Linux for PC's. Mac is even converting, just again, you will get customer service with Mac, PC with Linux you are pretty much on your own.

This line isn't condescending? I have never used customer service for anything, haven't needed it because I know how my machine works and if I don't there is plenty of literature to help me figure it out. I buy MACs because I like the way the Operating System works and as an extra plus, their machines are beautiful inside and out. Apple doesn't do cheap, I like that.

The ridiculous condescending attitude you have towards MAC users is typical of geeks. Great, you spend your life focused on everything about computers, who gives a shit? I don't care about building a computer system, I also don't want to build a car or an airplane, I just want to use them to get what I need out of them. I also want for them to work all of the time, in a logical way, look good on my desk and show a great amount of creativity in their design........ inside and out.

You use Linux, good for you, enjoy it. I use OSX on an IMac and don't have to waste time I can be using to do something else, working on my computer, I work with it. The time you have spent working on computers is great, good for you, hope you make a good living at it. But...... others have also spent their lives learning what they enjoy and shouldn't be denigrated for not being a computer geek. The fact that you parrot the bullshit excuse for lack of viruses in MACs tells me you know less than you think. Are we really suppose to believe that the type of asshole that creates viruses wouldn't want to create one for MAC just to shut people like me up? I have no fire wall, no virus protection....... I open all email, have downloaded over 5,000 songs and movies and never had a hiccup on my old G4......... never a crash with OSX. That makes owning a MAC worth it to me, but then again, I don't play games and couldn't give a crap about putting tacky little lights and liquid cooling in my machine.

Your reading comprehension is VERY poor ... so very very very poor ...

You don't even realize that I have endorsed Macs a lot do you? You don't seem to notice that for all new computer users who are not interested in becoming geeks I always recommend Macs ... do you?

As for the virus "excuse", it's not an excuse, it's a fact. Until they went Unix/Linux core they had no security, but then they didn't need it because sensitive information was not commonly stored on them, considering that all the government agencies HAVE to use Microsoft only products thanks to a contract they signed a long time ago, which I don't think should be valid anymore but meh, besides the point.

Um ... "Print Screen" ... it's right on the keyboard. In Windoze it copies to a buffer which you can paste into whatever pain program you like, in Gnome it opens a dialogue allowing you to choose what to do with it. As I said, Mac is for people who just don't want to know how the machines work and like having access to customer service, that's what you pay for with it. Windoze is obsolete now, and quickly all the popular Windoze programs (even the games) are being ported to Linux for PC's. Mac is even converting, just again, you will get customer service with Mac, PC with Linux you are pretty much on your own.

This line isn't condescending? I have never used customer service for anything, haven't needed it because I know how my machine works and if I don't there is plenty of literature to help me figure it out. I buy MACs because I like the way the Operating System works and as an extra plus, their machines are beautiful inside and out. Apple doesn't do cheap, I like that.

Condescending to you, yes, condescending to Macs ... no. Steve himself said as much, on a personal note, he's a pretty cool guy once you get past his arrogance, but then he earned it. Apple doesn't do much better hardware either ... hint, they use the same components ... :eusa_whistle:

I understand you stand less of a change of getting a virus on a Mac. Is this true? Also, I do a lot of photography stuff and I've been told by friends that the graphics on a Mac are superior to that of a PC.

Macs are not immune or virus-free, but they are simply less targeted as PCs. Macs were originally designed for home-use only, while PCs are being used by governmental, educational, business institutions.
Anti-virus software for Mac OS does exist, BUT from my personal experience you don't really need it. The only protection I run on my Mac is Protemac Netmine, and that's really enough.

I have never owned a Mac computer but all of a sudden I have an interest. Currently I have lots of PC's. I have an almost new HP TouchSmart that I'm using to post this and I also have, count them, five HP laptop computers. Three of them are fairly new and two have been around for awhile.

I understand you stand less of a change of getting a virus on a Mac. Is this true? Also, I do a lot of photography stuff and I've been told by friends that the graphics on a Mac are superior to that of a PC.

Somebody who really knows, and is just not a loyal Mac fan, please fill me in. What's the real deal about Macs?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.:confused:
I switched from a Dell to a Mac. The Motherboard crapped out at 13 months as did the one my friend bought about the same time.$1200 for a fucking MB. Fuck Mac.
The software is good and reliable and Viruses are a non issue but the hardware is pure robbery. Jobs better hope his liver lasts longer than our MB's did.
I'm back on a PC running Debian Linux.

If you want a REAL laptop get a Dell XFR D630.Load Ubuntu on it and you're all set.

Last edited:
I have never owned a Mac computer but all of a sudden I have an interest. Currently I have lots of PC's. I have an almost new HP TouchSmart that I'm using to post this and I also have, count them, five HP laptop computers. Three of them are fairly new and two have been around for awhile.

Somebody who really knows, and is just not a loyal Mac fan, please fill me in. What's the real deal about Macs?

I used PCs for 15 years until last year when I got a Macbook. I will now NEVER buy another PC.

If you like gaming, PCs offer far more choice, but for me that is their only benefit. other than initial cost. A Mac will cost you 2 or 3 times what a PC will at the outset.

Surfing is safer, though KK makes a good point about increased popularity.

I take a lot of photos. Managing, filing, editing and sharing them is hugely easy with iPhoto.

My wife just edited a 30 minute movie with iMovie on her iMac with no prior experience. Quote: "This is so much easier than I thought it would be".

Synchronising everything is simple. The entire package works well together in the way that Microsoft always promises to but just.... doesn't..... quite..... deliver.

With iTunes I am now actively listening to new music again and playing music I already own a lot more.

I love the convenience of their e-mail and 'Mobile Me'.

I love the way that my Mac does not crash every bit as much at I hated the fact that my PC did. I've now gone a year without hearing that bloody annoying 'chord' sound that tells you something is wrong but never tells you what or how to fix it. I hated that sound. It generated a consistent Pavlovian response every time I heard it: "Oh for fuck's sake, what now?"

Lastly, customer service is absolutely without parallel - for two reasons:

1. You know exactly where to go and who to talk to for any problem
  2. Everything is handled easily, competently and with the minimum of fuss.

Example: My 9 year old son mistakenly jammed a mini disc into the CD ROM drive while on vacation. When we got home I took it in to the Apple Store with no appointment and explained the issue. The guy took it into the back room and emerged 5 seconds later with the Mac and the disc. No charge, no fuss. I was in and out the store in no more than 30 seconds.

Good luck.

Go for the Macbook. You won't regret it.

Forum List

Back