MA Legislature re-legalizes "cruel" traps

Massachusetts in not "re-legalizing" banned traps with this bill - period. "kill traps" used underwater, with a 10-permit has been legal for 10 years and that's the way it will stay. I should know, since I worked with the legislator who submitted the original bill. The only thing h.4943 does is to bring back, into the permitting process, the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and mandates that the number of animals taken under issued permits be reported to the Joint Committee on the Environ., Nat. Res. and AG annually - THAT'S IT. I see that as a good thing. The AR's are freaking out because it shows that there is enough momentum throughout the state to modify the crazy, costly law that THEY pushed 14 years ago, through a ballot question... where the urban centers rule and have little to no clue about the management of wildlife such as beaver.

Look for yourself... Here is the bill that came out of committee:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4172

Here is the amendments to that bill as it sits before the governor:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4943

Thanks for the clarification.

Massachusetts in not "re-legalizing" banned traps with this bill - period. "kill traps" used underwater, with a 10-permit has been legal for 10 years and that's the way it will stay. I should know, since I worked with the legislator who submitted the original bill. The only thing h.4943 does is to bring back, into the permitting process, the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and mandates that the number of animals taken under issued permits be reported to the Joint Committee on the Environ., Nat. Res. and AG annually - THAT'S IT. I see that as a good thing. The AR's are freaking out because it shows that there is enough momentum throughout the state to modify the crazy, costly law that THEY pushed 14 years ago, through a ballot question... where the urban centers rule and have little to no clue about the management of wildlife such as beaver.

Look for yourself... Here is the bill that came out of committee:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4172

Here is the amendments to that bill as it sits before the governor:
go to the Massachusetts Legislative website and search House Bill 4943

Thanks for the clarification.

Whenever there's a discussion about regulated trapping, the opposition feels the need to haul out the pictures of dogs and cats with traps on their head... At some point, that tactic will have run its course and the public will see it for what it really is intended for. BANNING DOES NOT WORK... WE HAVE ALREADY PROVED THAT HERE IN MASS. 4 years after the total trapping ban in 1996 they reinstated kill traps for use underwater, because they had to. Even then, the MSPCA and HSUS argued it wasn't needed, that the ban was working which was a total lie. Regulations by our state wildlife managers, at least in Massachusetts would make this "Dog caught in a trap situation" virtually impossible. If it did, it would have been an illegally set trap - something NO ONE condones. But in our times of 30 second attention spans and sound bites.... facts and reality aren't half as exciting. - cheers! :eusa_angel:

The Massachusetts state legislature recently passed House Bill 4943, allowing the use of certain body gripping animal traps that were outlawed by the voters in a state-wide referendum in 1996.

I wonder if Deval Patrick will sign it or veto it? :eusa_think:

What do you think about the use of these traps?

What do you think about the legislature snubbing the will of the people?

What do YOU think about the legislature and/or judiciary snubbing the will of the people where it concerns gay marriage?

The Massachusetts state legislature recently passed House Bill 4943, allowing the use of certain body gripping animal traps that were outlawed by the voters in a state-wide referendum in 1996.

I wonder if Deval Patrick will sign it or veto it? :eusa_think:

What do you think about the use of these traps?

What do you think about the legislature snubbing the will of the people?

What do YOU think about the legislature and/or judiciary snubbing the will of the people where it concerns gay marriage?

As a general rule, I oppose the legislature snubbing the will of the people, especially in a commonwealth like Massachusetts where a voter referendum is supposed to be the final legislative word. As for the judiciary I take it on a case by case basis. If the people's will is to deny equal rights then I'm more than ok with it being snubbed by the judiciary.

Forum List

Back