lowes employee fired for stopping shop lifter

I guess we'll be seeing prices there going even higher, then we'll see Lowes leaving town.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I feel sorry for retail people, their employers have no respect for them and throw them to the wolves over any excuse.
Very accurate. A lot of employers hate their employees even their best employees.

A lot of companies have a "let 'em go" attitude and did long before the insane policies of today.

They don't consider it a fair bargain if an employee gets the 5 pack of screwdrivers back, but the employee suffered serious injury in the process. Or the thief even, for that matter. We're a sue happy country and we've all heard of juries awarding the wrong person way too much money.

I was always a committed employee, but I gotta tell ya- I'm not mobbing out to the parking lot after some hoodlum with a toaster under his arm and a fist as big as my head.

Ain't even my fuckin toaster.

Guaranteed that employee will have other employers that don’t have such an asinine policy beating down the fired employee’s door for their services.

Now, tell US what great policy this is? Firing an employee for stopping a shoplifter.

I did not say it was a great policy, just that it was policy.

The policy is there to protect the employees, since they are worth more than the merchandise

It hasn't always been the case that employees were fired for stopping shoplifters. Certainly has been for a while, but not always the case.

It has been a while. WalMart stopped allowing their asset protection folks to physically stop people back in 2010.

Very accurate. A lot of employers hate their employees even their best employees.

And maybe their customers, too. Years ago, a friend whose girlfriend worked at a retail appliance chain (Best Buy) told me that at a company seminar, the CEO of the company described their customers as "Devil Customers."

The reality of business in America now:
  • If you are a customer, all they want is your money.
  • If you are an employee, all they want is your work, MAKING them money.

And maybe their customers, too. Years ago, a friend whose girlfriend worked at a retail appliance chain (Best Buy) told me that at a company seminar, the CEO of the company described their customers as "Devil Customers."

The reality of business in America now:
  • If you are a customer, all they want is your money.
  • If you are an employee, all they want is your work, MAKING them money.

You just defined capitalism

I kind of get it. Stores don't want gun ho employees grabbing people and causing a lawsuit, don't want to escalate the situation to where someone might get hurt, or if some white employee stops a black guy and all the blacks come out of the woodwork yelling racism.

But firing? That's way way out of line for someone trying to do the right thing.

Lowes should chastise them, then go in the back room and thank them and give them a day paid time off. If I was a employer id be happy to have decent moral employees that care about right and wrong and are looking after their employers best interest.

You violate company policy you get fired.

That has always been the case
My only question for those who create such company policies is this: What kind of people do you want to attract, people who steal or people who are willing to help you keep your businesses alive and kicking by paying for whatever it is that they take from the shelves?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

My only question for those who create such company policies is this: What kind of people do you want to attract, people who steal or people who are willing to help you keep your businesses alive and kicking by paying for whatever it is that they take from the shelves?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If the employee gets hurt stopping someone then the company has to pay the medical bills as well as workers Comp

And they can be sued

Forum List

Back