Lower Drinking Age? Hell Yes

Idea floated by college presidents.

I say, do it.

21 is a puritanically high age.

a good question would be what are the DUI rates in countries around the globe? i know in the US the highest rates are in the upper midwest, with the lowest in utah.

and if anyone is wondering, i have absolutely no respect for those who drive drunk

if anyone is wondering, i have absolutely no respect for those who drive drunk

really? gosh they seem so cool.

the reason other countries don't have the problems with d &d we do is:

1- they have public transit
2- they aren't puritans!
3- since they aren't puritans they don't end up with the repression that puritans breed.

hell old enough to vote. old enough to pick up a gun and defend this country.

christ all mighty of course it's old enough to drink.:beer::beer::beer:

2- they aren't puritans!
3- since they aren't puritans they don't end up with the repression that puritans breed.

Totally agree...

a good question would be what are the DUI rates in countries around the globe? i know in the US the highest rates are in the upper midwest, with the lowest in utah.

and if anyone is wondering, i have absolutely no respect for those who drive drunk

I know some 18 years olds who are responsible with their alcohol consumption and I know some 40 years olds who are not. We like to play games with a double standard as far as "legal age" goes.

You can enlist in the military and go get your head blown off at 17 1/2 years old (with parental consent prior to 18), but you can't legally drink a beer.

You cannot purchase and legally own a handgun under 21; yet, you can be tried as an adult at 16 for crimes deemed "especially heinous."

I doubt that DUI rates matter much as they are probably more a matter of where they are enforced stringently and where they are given lip service.

a good question would be what are the DUI rates in countries around the globe?

I think it would be apples to oranges.

The U.S. is a car culture. We drive everywhere.

In europe they walk to the corner pub, or take public transit more often than not.

I know some 18 years olds who are responsible with their alcohol consumption and I know some 40 years olds who are not. We like to play games with a double standard as far as "legal age" goes.

You can enlist in the military and go get your head blown off at 17 1/2 years old (with parental consent prior to 18), but you can't legally drink a beer.

You cannot purchase and legally own a handgun under 21; yet, you can be tried as an adult at 16 for crimes deemed "especially heinous."

I doubt that DUI rates matter much as they are probably more a matter of where they are enforced stringently and where they are given lip service.

hey, im just curious what the rates are. we can compare ourselves to places without extensive public transit systems (like canada).

the biggest difference i see is in the vastly different cultures when it comes to drinking. france its no big deal to have a glass of wine. here in the US it is considered fun, exciting, etc to just have a drink, and a great way for kids to rebel against their parents.

hey, im just curious what the rates are. we can compare ourselves to places without extensive public transit systems (like canada).

the biggest difference i see is in the vastly different cultures when it comes to drinking. france its no big deal to have a glass of wine. here in the US it is considered fun, exciting, etc to just have a drink, and a great way for kids to rebel against their parents.

That is not how I read your statement which stated in effect you wondered what the DUI rate comparisons would be.

IMO, comparing the acceptance of alcohol consumption by culture is a different comparison.

2- they aren't puritans!

Americans are Puritans ? If indeed we are then perhaps a higher drinking age makes sense.
Personally I don't think it makes any difference. Why not 16 , 15 , 14 ?

Idea floated by college presidents.

I say, do it.

21 is a puritanically high age.

Students, school officials continue drinking age debate -- Newsday.com

I say, yes and no, with conditions.

1. Yes! I agree with the point made that if you are old enough to serve in the military - you are old enough to drink. (When our son graduated boot camp at MCRD San Diego - they had a party where they served beer, can't remember the name of the place "on base" where it was held. Our son was 18 - he & his new-found buddies, could finally relax and drinking that was okay with me).

2. No! Kids under the age of 21 that have no clue where they are headed, and use the city streets or freeways, on a weekend night as a drag strip or race track, should NOT be allowed to drink. Peroid!

*My two cents worth, as a Mom, Grandma, and as the sister-in-law of someone that was killed in an auto accident of a car driven by drunk "under age (19)" driver.

Well, Germany has 14-16 for beer/wine, 18 for harder stuff, 18 for driving and getting a gun is a bitch.

Personally, I believe that both guns and Cars are more potent "weapons of destruction" than alcohol is, therefor having an car-driving/gun possesion age thats lower than the "beer age" strikes me as fairly odd.
Especially since one can iirc be sentenced to death penalty for crimes commited at the age of 16.

Dont drink and drive!

I'd say raise the drinking age. We need things to look forward to after the age of 21. The only other rite of passage in your entire American life will be retirement, and that just makes you feel old. We need to find more ways to give more things to you and let you do more things in between voting and retirement.

Well, Germany has 14-16 for beer/wine, 18 for harder stuff, 18 for driving and getting a gun is a bitch.

Personally, I believe that both guns and Cars are more potent "weapons of destruction" than alcohol is, therefor having an car-driving/gun possesion age thats lower than the "beer age" strikes me as fairly odd.
Especially since one can iirc be sentenced to death penalty for crimes commited at the age of 16.

Dont drink and drive!

Can not own a hand gun or buy hand gun ammo till you are 21.

I'd say raise the drinking age. We need things to look forward to after the age of 21. The only other rite of passage in your entire American life will be retirement, and that just makes you feel old. We need to find more ways to give more things to you and let you do more things in between voting and retirement.

Just how many rites of passage do you need to feel like an adult. For Christ's sake we have graduations from kindergarten, ceremonies for every little thing. I remember when my son finished 8th grade. They actually had a mini high school style graduation. I actually heard some girls after the thing say, "we made it!!!". Come on. Is it any wonder why our youth thinks they are so entitled when we all tell them that every little thing they do is a life changing accomplishment.

Historically there was one rite of passage into adulthood. It varied for boys and girls and from culture to culture but there was only one. Now I don't think increasing levels of privileges is a bad thing but if 18 is the legal age of majority then that's it and any 18 year old should have all the rights and privileges as any adult.

I say, yes and no, with conditions.

1. Yes! I agree with the point made that if you are old enough to serve in the military - you are old enough to drink. (When our son graduated boot camp at MCRD San Diego - they had a party where they served beer, can't remember the name of the place "on base" where it was held. Our son was 18 - he & his new-found buddies, could finally relax and drinking that was okay with me).

2. No! Kids under the age of 21 that have no clue where they are headed, and use the city streets or freeways, on a weekend night as a drag strip or race track, should NOT be allowed to drink. Peroid!

*My two cents worth, as a Mom, Grandma, and as the sister-in-law of someone that was killed in an auto accident of a car driven by drunk "under age (19)" driver.

It's called the E-Club (the "E" being "enlisted person's"), and the Marine Corps does not adhere to state law on base. 18-21 can drink beer in the club, or at other functions on base where alcohol may be served.

I disagree with your comment on age. That's BS. That behavior is not restricted to person's 18-21 years of age. It's restricted to persons who display that behavior. I know people of all ages who have no clue.

Why look forward to drinking and what exactly is it a rite of passage to? Becoming anywhere from semi-functional to useless?

Just how many rites of passage do you need to feel like an adult. For Christ's sake we have graduations from kindergarten, ceremonies for every little thing. I remember when my son finished 8th grade. They actually had a mini high school style graduation. I actually heard some girls after the thing say, "we made it!!!". Come on. Is it any wonder why our youth thinks they are so entitled when we all tell them that every little thing they do is a life changing accomplishment.

Historically there was one rite of passage into adulthood. It varied for boys and girls and from culture to culture but there was only one. Now I don't think increasing levels of privileges is a bad thing but if 18 is the legal age of majority then that's it and any 18 year old should have all the rights and privileges as any adult.

Well then we can get the press to stop calling 18 and 19 year olds teenagers and implying they are children.

Currently the rite of passage for 18 year olds is titty bars. If we lower the drinking age to 18, then we should lower the age for strip clubs to 16. But if we lower it to 16, then we should lower the driving age to 15 so that kids won't have to ride the public bus to get a lap dance.

Forum List

Back