Loretta Lynn declares country music dead

A lot of country music today is more pop than country. Give me Dolly, Conway, Patsy, Willie, and, Tanya any day of the week.

To me, as long as it continues to be made and played, no rhyme intended, country music will live on forever. :) :) :)

God bless you and those who have loved my late favorites longer than me always!!!

Holly

Can't beat the old country hits...when cowboys sang to survive...

There hasn't been good country music since the 70s.

To me, as long as it continues to be made and played, no rhyme intended, country music will live on forever. :) :) :)

God bless you and those who have loved my late favorites longer than me always!!!

Holly

Ironically enough I've witnessed Ricky Skaggs introduce a "country song" and then go straight into bluegrass, so the line seems a bit blurred for some even when they're in it.

I like a lot of the new stuff a lot better than the old Whining Drunk stuff; Buck Owens was a fave, so was Dwight Yoakum, and Alison Krauss, ASleep At The Wheel, anybody who do decent dance tunes; I'm much more into Western Swing and dance music than listening to some moaning asshole cry about his girlfriend. Ricky Skaggs has always been good, and Keith Urban isn't bad. Garth Brooks has a lot of good songs, besides his rock star type showmanship, Neon Moon, Friends In Low Places, and a few others. Doesn't stop me from listening to Gene Autry or Ray Price, either, but the new stuff is much better quality than most of the old stuff. Leann Rymes, Miranda Lambert, and Maren Morris are much better singers than Loretta and Tammy, hands down, among others.

Last edited:
^^^ To me, Alison Krauss and LeAnn Rimes are two of the best from the female side of country music. The lady that I have been a fan of the longest recently scored her first ever Grammy awards and she has been on the radio since ten years before I was even thought of...what in the world took them award show powers that be so dang long to finally start paying well enough attention to the legendary Tanya Tucker?

Holly

Ironically enough I've witnessed Ricky Skaggs introduce a "country song" and then go straight into bluegrass, so the line seems a bit blurred for some even when they're in it.

I LOVE Ricky's Live In London album and I love his songs named "Highway 40 Blues", "Same Ole' Love", "Restless", and "From The Word Love".

God bless you two and Ricky and my female favorites always!!!

Holly (a fan of Miss T since 1991)

^^^ To me, Alison Krauss and LeAnn Rimes are two of the best from the female side of country music. The lady that I have been a fan of the longest recently scored her first ever Grammy awards and she has been on the radio since ten years before I was even thought of...what in the world took them award show powers that be so dang long to finally start paying well enough attention to the legendary Tanya Tucker?

Holly

I LOVE Ricky's Live In London album and I love his songs named "Highway 40 Blues", "Same Ole' Love", "Restless", and "From The Word Love".

God bless you two and Ricky and my female favorites always!!!

Holly (a fan of Miss T since 1991)

I like a lot of Tanya Tucker's stuff, too. Still don't have her latest album yet, but it's on the list.

Loretta Lynn is part of an excellent past era of country music. Things change. That's the way it goes. Instead of dissing current country artists she ought to sing. I'd rather listen to that.

I suppose I don't need to point out that rock n roll and country were once considered to be in the same category as far as radio DJ's were concerned, and many of the early 'new' country artists were considered to be rock a rollers, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Conway Twitty, etc. Chuck Berry's songs were played on country radio and he played country dance halls early on, he was considered a 'hillbilly'.

No surprise, since he and others were heavily influenced by Bob Wills, the western swing star. Bob Wills made steel guitars a 'country and western standard', and when Hank Williams started out few knew how to categorize him, either. He got airplay on black stations as well. Ray Charles can be considered 'country', too, a genuine groundbreaking crossover star.

Last edited:
AATW does Bob WIlls. Love the modulations.

Bob Wills broke ground by integrating big band elements into Western Swing, which AATW is emulating here (and very well).

One time I recall Bob Wills was playing the Grand Ole Opry which had a strict 'no drums' rule. Wills hid the drums behind the stage curtain, then when the music started he literally broke that barrier.

I suppose I don't need to point out that rock n roll and country were once considered to be in the same category as far as radio DJ's were concerned, and many of the early 'new' country artists were considered to be rock a rollers, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Conway Twitty, etc. Chuck Berry's songs were played on country radio and he played country dance halls early on, he was considered a 'hillbilly'.

No surprise, since he and others were heavily influenced by Bob Wills, the western swing star. Bob Wills made steel guitars a 'country and western standard', and when Hank Williams started out few knew how to categorize him, either. He got airplay on black stations as well. Ray Charles can be considered 'country', too, a genuine groundbreaking crossover star.

Basically there weren't the strictly-defined "categories" we've pedantically made up by now. There were elements of what would now be called jazz, blues, country, Celtic, R&B, whatever, used as you'd pick from a menu. That hypercategorization "genre" thing basically started with the record industry aiming for niche marketing.

When I produce a music audio file I get a looooooooooooong list of "genres" to choose for the metadata, half of which I have no idea what they're trying to denote. I just choose "Other". It's really pointless to split hairs that finely. It's music fer Chrissake. Use the right brain.

There's still a lot of music made of hybrids, and that's fine. In fact it's usually damn refreshing.

Loretta Lynn is part of an excellent past era of country music. Things change. That's the way it goes. Instead of dissing current country artists she ought to sing. I'd rather listen to that.
Maybe Loretta is at the point to where she can't sing anymore and that right there is just it. Plenty of singers can't sing anymore because they are either no longer here at all or are just no longer able to which is why in my opinion it is so important to make sure that those who aren't out there anymore for whatever reason are NEVER forgotten about. I don't remember where the message was left for me, but I once got one from a person who told me to let my deceased favorites rest in peace. I was like, "As long as I am still here, they will do no such thing!" And they NEVER will, I love them that much.

God bless you and Loretta and my favorites who are still here always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back