Lords to block US trade deal on frankenstein produce

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Boris Johnson is facing a damaging defeat that would block imports of chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef, in a fresh blow to his hopes of a post-Brexit trade deal with the US.

Peers are poised to slam the brakes on any watering down of food and animal welfare standards – to stop ministers selling the country “down the river”, one former government adviser told The Independent.

This is good but I can see the weakness in their plan straight away. I believe that our greatest protection will come from Congress blocking the deal. Apparently support there for the Good Friday Agreement is bipartisan and likely to scupper Johnsons shitty deal.

It's comforting that the tendency of the British people to slavishly follow the dictates of their social betters remains unabated.

csm_0612-peers-robes_ad303d3659.jpg

A truly subservient people who know how to stay in their place and remain in awe of the majesty of aristocracy.

It's comforting that the tendency of the British people to slavishly follow the dictates of their social betters remains unabated.

View attachment 387955

A truly subservient people who know how to stay in their place and remain in awe of the majesty of aristocracy.
Its depressing that it takes an unelected group to block an illegal act of parliament. Such is the UK under conservative rule..

View attachment 387955

Its depressing that it takes an unelected group to block an illegal act of parliament. Such is the UK under conservative rule..

I'm not sure, as a subject of the crown, that you could ever appreciate how the idea of a group of hereditary 'betters' with the power to override law created by elected legislators is anathema to Americans.

Just, believe me, it is.

Boris Johnson is facing a damaging defeat that would block imports of chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef, in a fresh blow to his hopes of a post-Brexit trade deal with the US.

Peers are poised to slam the brakes on any watering down of food and animal welfare standards – to stop ministers selling the country “down the river”, one former government adviser told The Independent.

This is good but I can see the weakness in their plan straight away. I believe that our greatest protection will come from Congress blocking the deal. Apparently support there for the Good Friday Agreement is bipartisan and likely to scupper Johnsons shitty deal.
Its your country and your choice

but 300 million + Americans are living proof that our beef and chicken production methods are safe to eat

Go get your safe eats from China then..........I could care less....................Oh well.

You out of the EU now. You think China is going to cut you a better deal?

I went to the local supermarket and eyed a packet of roasted peanuts in the shell. They're excellent with lager...especially Pilsen. Locally grown I assumed. WRONG!! Chinese produce packed in Oz. Where our local stuff has gone I have no idea. BTW: NOT CHEAPER THAN LOCAL PRODUCE; just a bigger profit margin. Bad deal for the consumer and our producers.

Greg

Nobody is going to cut us a better deal. Why would they ?

View attachment 387955

I'm not sure, as a subject of the crown, that you could ever appreciate how the idea of a group of hereditary 'betters' with the power to override law created by elected legislators is anathema to Americans.

Just, believe me, it is.
Except they are mainly political appointees. Hereditary peers are getting rarer in the Lords. I'm all in favour of an elected Upper chamber.

Nobody is going to cut us a better deal. Why would they ?

So, maybe being such a dick to US, constantly, is a bad idea?

I'm not that bothered. I'll just look for meat that comes from the uk, from local butchers I know and trust. Most of the shitty Yank stuff will be sold by supermarkets, although some have publicly stated that they will not stock American meats.

but 300 million + Americans are living proof that our beef and chicken production methods are safe to eat
Sorry, what's the rate of obesity and heart attacks in the USA?

I'm not that bothered. I'll just look for meat that comes from the uk, from local butchers I know and trust. Most of the shitty Yank stuff will be sold by supermarkets, although some have publicly stated that they will not stock American meats.
I think it will go in ready meals and sold in work canteens and the like. If they have to they will change the labelling at some point.

THat has to do with over use of corn syrup and long working hours, nothing to do with the quality of our beef or poultry.

I think it will go in ready meals and sold in work canteens and the like. If they have to they will change the labelling at some point.
That's the most likely outcome. We'll soon see if our levels of food poisoning will reach American levels. Last time I looked UK rate was about 55 per 100000 people compared with the US about 355 per 100000 people.

THat has to do with over use of corn syrup and long working hours, nothing to do with the quality of our beef or poultry.
We work on average 100 hours less than you do per year, so that's not a major factor in calculating obesity rates.
What is corn syrup anyway?

That's the most likely outcome. We'll soon see if our levels of food poisoning will reach American levels. Last time I looked UK rate was about 55 per 100000 people compared with the US about 355 per 100000 people.
I have seen figures like that. Staff in their chicken plants have to wear nappies in work because they can't leave the production line. Americans accept anything that their corporate overlords tell them to accept.

We work on average 100 hours less than you do per year, so that's not a major factor in calculating obesity rates.
What is corn syrup anyway?
Some cultures still have the work ethic and some dont

Forum List

Back