Lord of War

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
What I thought was going to be a lame action movie turned out to be a very thoughtful, very frightening and depressing, look at the roles that gunrunners play in today's wars.

The movie gives you plenty to think about: we can all assume that there will be war in the Middle East, so is it OK to profit by selling the guns that these wars are fought with? What if you have the support of your country, or others?

On one hand, it's an insider's look at the ins and outs of actually carrying out a career as a gunrunner, and on the other it's a bleak look at the conflicts that continue to this day, and what is being done (or not being done) to stop them (or continue them). The story, told from the point of view of Nicholas Cage's Ukranian immigrant, is actually a very dark comedy, but it's not really laugh-out-loud funny, so much as laugh-in-desperation funny. Here's a sample bit of dialogue:

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

The only big drawback I found in the movie is that the dialogue is sometimes very heavy-handed (for every good bit of dialogue, there's something like "Well, I'd tell you to go to Hell, but I'd say you're already there"). And, obviously, it deals in a realistic way with many of the battles that took place in recent years in Africa and the Middle East, and a lot of this involves kids either serving as soldiers or being the target of soldiers. Some of it is upsetting, but it is all done realistically and with a purpose.

great now you've grown his head 5 times its size. Thanks alot roomy. ITs going to take alot of work to reduce the swelling.

Are you speaking in my presence, peon? :funnyface

Here's Dan's latest photo.

Wayne.jpg

Good review and commentary on this movie, Dan. The clerk at our video store suggested that I rent "Lord of War" since the Robert Redford movie I wanted to rent wasn't available. She said all the customers had been saying it was really good. I am glad she promoted it to me. It was definitely worth viewing.

Here's Dan's latest photo.

Oh, yes. Oh, God, yes!

Great episode! Has one of my favorite Carl lines ever: "Hey, Fry-man, you hear what I just ordered? I'm gonna be fartin' fire over here!"

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Adam's Apple, it deserved to be seen by more people than it did.

If you're into horror movies, there's a movie that came out a couple years ago called May that was like this, nobody'd ever really heard of it.

Dan said:
Oh, yes. Oh, God, yes!

Great episode! Has one of my favorite Carl lines ever: "Hey, Fry-man, you hear what I just ordered? I'm gonna be fartin' fire over here!"

I liked his line right before that.

"Hey theres a broad. Hey you! Yeh You, dingbat!"

I would be willing to bet there are many true things portrayed in this flick. One of the best gimmicks is the life of a 7.62 * 39 Soviet round,portrayed in the first few minutes of the flick. This is the caliber of the Kalishnikof rifle.

But, the second CD has the "documentaries" in it and a glimpse at the weapons people want to wage war with. The specs on the M16 are NOT correct. I am not familiar with a belt fed Colt M16 or any of its varients. Neither is the correct caliber listed as 7.62mm. The correct figure is 5.56mm. Basicaly an big .22cal with a crap load of powder behind it. The other incorrect figure is for weapons such as the M1a, M14, which are a .30 cal veriety. Too stupid to have screwed up on these figures.. I wonder why nobody caught it for accuracy.:tank:

As far as an action flick, yes I would recommend it. Boy meets girl, boy tags girl, girl gets it all and then butt holes boy. Typical American Dream. Oye Veh!! I miss Uncle Demetri. Dobre Comrade!

I hate Nicholas Cage movies. He was plays the same sort of characters.

I generally agree, but he played a completely different character in Adaptation.

Although it is very much a typical Nic Cage performance, I still think my favorite thing he ever did was Con-Air. Or maybe Valley Girl.

Working Man said:
I would be willing to bet there are many true things portrayed in this flick.

The "how they made the movie" movie was great. Lots of hard work, and carefully scripted stunts.. Most of the guns used were real. Watching this bonus material made the movie even better as a entertainment value... Watching the political piece wasn't so entertaining, but was balanced in its accusations..

I would still recommend this flick.

Forum List

Back