Looks like there's no "Population Bomb" after all

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
Poor Paul Ehrlich, wrong yet again. I wonder if ANY of these alarmists clowns will EVER get ANYTHING correct. Oh well, no matter. It seems that just like I predicted the worlds population is indeed slowing down, and in places at a prodigous rate.

"This is a counterintuitive notion in the United States, where we’ve heard often and loudly that world population growth is a perilous and perhaps unavoidable threat to our future as a species. But population decline is a very familiar concept in the rest of the developed world, where fertility has long since fallen far below the 2.1 live births per woman required to maintain population equilibrium. In Germany, the birthrate has sunk to just 1.36, worse even than its low-fertility neighbors Spain (1.48) and Italy (1.4). The way things are going, Western Europe as a whole will most likely shrink from 460 million to just 350 million by the end of the century. That’s not so bad compared with Russia and China, each of whose populations could fall by half. As you may not be surprised to learn, the Germans have coined a polysyllabic word for this quandary: Schrumpf-Gessellschaft, or “shrinking society.”

American media have largely ignored the issue of population decline for the simple reason that it hasn’t happened here yet. Unlike Europe, the United States has long been the beneficiary of robust immigration. This has helped us not only by directly bolstering the number of people calling the United States home but also by propping up the birthrate, since immigrant women tend to produce far more children than the native-born do.

But both those advantages look to diminish in years to come. A report issued last month by the Pew Research Center found that immigrant births fell from 102 per 1,000 women in 2007 to 87.8 per 1,000 in 2012. That helped bring the overall U.S. birthrate to a mere 64 per 1,000 women—not enough to sustain our current population.

Moreover, the poor, highly fertile countries that once churned out immigrants by the boatload are now experiencing birthrate declines of their own. From 1960 to 2009, Mexico’s fertility rate tumbled from 7.3 live births per woman to 2.4, India’s dropped from six to 2.5, and Brazil’s fell from 6.15 to 1.9. Even in sub-Saharan Africa, where the average birthrate remains a relatively blistering 4.66, fertility is projected to fall below replacement level by the 2070s. This change in developing countries will affect not only the U.S. population, of course, but eventually the world’s."

World population may actually start declining, not exploding. - Slate Magazine

Poor Paul Ehrlich, wrong yet again. I wonder if ANY of these alarmists clowns will EVER get ANYTHING correct. Oh well, no matter. It seems that just like I predicted the worlds population is indeed slowing down, and in places at a prodigous rate.

"This is a counterintuitive notion in the United States, where we’ve heard often and loudly that world population growth is a perilous and perhaps unavoidable threat to our future as a species. But population decline is a very familiar concept in the rest of the developed world, where fertility has long since fallen far below the 2.1 live births per woman required to maintain population equilibrium. In Germany, the birthrate has sunk to just 1.36, worse even than its low-fertility neighbors Spain (1.48) and Italy (1.4). The way things are going, Western Europe as a whole will most likely shrink from 460 million to just 350 million by the end of the century. That’s not so bad compared with Russia and China, each of whose populations could fall by half. As you may not be surprised to learn, the Germans have coined a polysyllabic word for this quandary: Schrumpf-Gessellschaft, or “shrinking society.”

American media have largely ignored the issue of population decline for the simple reason that it hasn’t happened here yet. Unlike Europe, the United States has long been the beneficiary of robust immigration. This has helped us not only by directly bolstering the number of people calling the United States home but also by propping up the birthrate, since immigrant women tend to produce far more children than the native-born do.

But both those advantages look to diminish in years to come. A report issued last month by the Pew Research Center found that immigrant births fell from 102 per 1,000 women in 2007 to 87.8 per 1,000 in 2012. That helped bring the overall U.S. birthrate to a mere 64 per 1,000 women—not enough to sustain our current population.

Moreover, the poor, highly fertile countries that once churned out immigrants by the boatload are now experiencing birthrate declines of their own. From 1960 to 2009, Mexico’s fertility rate tumbled from 7.3 live births per woman to 2.4, India’s dropped from six to 2.5, and Brazil’s fell from 6.15 to 1.9. Even in sub-Saharan Africa, where the average birthrate remains a relatively blistering 4.66, fertility is projected to fall below replacement level by the 2070s. This change in developing countries will affect not only the U.S. population, of course, but eventually the world’s."

I had six kids, my dad had seven and my mother had nine in her family growing up. If you don't like the way the world is, breed! It's fun, believe it or not.

I had six kids, my dad had seven and my mother had nine in her family growing up. If you don't like the way the world is, breed! It's fun, believe it or not.

Yes, well, unlike you, I really am a conservationist, and limited my production to just one child who I absolutely adore. Funny how all the yahoo's who advocate eugenics and draconian population and energy controls are all outright hypocrites and breed like rats.

Yes, well, unlike you, I really am a conservationist, and limited my production to just one child who I absolutely adore. Funny how all the yahoo's who advocate eugenics and draconian population and energy controls are all outright hypocrites and breed like rats.

It takes two to have a child.

All the k00k prognostications have been exposed as mega-frauds........peak oil......population doomsday's......gigantic hurricanes as a constant.........

All BS.............of course, even funnier is all the dopes who bought into it!!!:eusa_dance:

All the k00k prognostications have been exposed as mega-frauds........peak oil......population doomsday's......gigantic hurricanes as a constant.........

All BS.............of course, even funnier is all the dopes who bought into it!!!:eusa_dance:

You are going to have fewer hurricanes, but more intense.

So tell me how the world can't run out of oil? Is it infinite? Our world is only so damned big!

So tell me how the world can't run out of oil? Is it infinite? Our world is only so damned big!

Whhaaaaa? As Jon Stewart would say. The original claim was there would be MORE and more powerful hurricanes. Neither have been true. Sandy was barely a Class One at landfall and had dropped to a tropical storm by the time she was 5 miles inland so that's a fail.

Whhaaaaa? As Jon Stewart would say. The original claim was there would be MORE and more powerful hurricanes. Neither have been true. Sandy was barely a Class One at landfall and had dropped to a tropical storm by the time she was 5 miles inland so that's a fail.

I didn't make the claim.

Boy, oh, boy. Old man, go to New Jersey and state that idiocy.

Here are the stats on Sandy from the Scientific American. Of course, the title of the magazine has science in it, so you will dispute whatever it states.

The Stats Are In: Superstorm Sandy Totals: Scientific American

Sandy, a thousand mile wide cat 1, just a minor storm.

Cat 1 is a minor storm. The damage done as a result of sandy was due to the fact that it not only made landfall at high tide, it made landfall at the highest tide of the month. Are you gong to blame CO2 for the timing of the landfall of storms as well?

Cat 1 is a minor storm. The damage done as a result of sandy was due to the fact that it not only made landfall at high tide, it made landfall at the highest tide of the month. Are you gong to blame CO2 for the timing of the landfall of storms as well?

Of course they will. AGW is responsible FOR EVERYTHING don't you know....and I mean everything!:lol:

Of course they will. AGW is responsible FOR EVERYTHING don't you know....and I mean everything!:lol:
A complete list of things caused by global warming

They left one out: Global warming drank all my beer.

Almost a quarter million fewer Japanese...
:eusa_eh:
Japanese population continues to decline: government report
Thu, Jan 02, 2014 - RECORD DROP: Japan’s population in March was 0.21 percent lower than at the same time a year earlier as deaths minus births totaled 244,000
Japan’s population fell by a record 244,000 last year, according to Japanese Ministry of Health estimates released yesterday, highlighting concerns over an ever-dwindling workforce supporting a growing number of pensioners. An estimated 1,031,000 babies were born in Japan last year, down about 6,000 from a year earlier, the ministry said.

On the other hand, about 1,275,000 people died — up about 19,000 from the previous year, the highest annual rise since World War II. As a result, the natural population decline came to a record 244,000, the ministry said, beating the previous highest fall of 212,000 in 2012. Japan’s population totaled 126,393,679 as of March 31, down 0.21 percent from a year earlier, according to a Japanese government figure.

It has continually declined since 2007 by natural attrition — deaths minus births. Japan is rapidly graying, with more than 20 percent of the population aged 65 or over — one of the highest proportions of elderly people in the world. The country has very little immigration and any suggestion that it open its borders to young workers who could help plug the population gap provokes strong opposition reactions among the public.

The proportion of people aged 65 or over will reach nearly 40 percent of the population in 2060, according to a 2012 government report. Deaths were first reported to outnumber births in Japan in 2005, the first decline since 1899 when it began collecting the data, Japanese health ministry figures showed.

Japanese population continues to decline: government report - Taipei Times

Good for Japan. They've achieved a stable society. It cost them economically, but they paid the price, and now they're golden.

We, however, are still addicted to growth, and thus are screwed. Population growth does have to stop eventually, given that land and resources are finite. Since it has to stop sometime, sensible people would say sooner is better than later. Unless, of course, a person is volunteering to have all that new population move in right next to them. If such pro-growth people are not volunteering to be jammed shoulder to shoulder, then they're hypocrites who everyone should point and laugh at.

Last edited:
Good for Japan. They've achieved a stable society. It cost them economically, but they paid the price, and now they're golden.

We, however, are still addicted to growth, and thus are screwed. Population growth does have to stop eventually, given that land and resources are finite. Since it has to stop sometime, sensible people would say sooner is better than later. Unless, of course, a person is volunteering to have all that new population move in right next to them. If such pro-growth people are not volunteering to be jammed shoulder to shoulder, then they're hypocrites who everyone should point and laugh at.

That is precisely the root problem!

wxe4.png

The question is how do you stop it, which in turn begs the question which are the things that cause/ and/or contribute to continuous growth.

Here is Bartlett`s list:

2jrk.png

Not all, but many of the items Bartlett lists on the left side are the main-stay of Liberal "entitlement" ideology...you could add Obama care
Some are undeniably conservative, like motherhood, law & order.
"Ignorance of the problem" is not a partisan issue, it`s an education issue and today`s schools do little to address it.
So where would you start?
Since as Bartlett says Americans consume 30 times more limited resources I would say "Immigration" is the easiest and 30 times more effective compared to other countries.
But for Liberals that`s a sacred cow and endangers their support base.
So they play the race card as soon as anyone wants to enforce already existing immigration laws.
Going down the list there is "clean air" which no reasonable person would oppose.
Interesting is what Bartlett puts in the right hand column, "Smoking"
That`s just one example of government over-reach and opposite of public health you could add quite a few more Liberal ideas that limit free choice or want to punish you if you exercise it.
Like New York`s Bloomberg fast food & soft drink decrees.

Accident Prevention is another example.
Fine, we all agree that we should do our best in this category, but why should it be a government`s business if we wear a seat-belt or not ?
Limiting free choice is at the core of "big government" and "bigger" + more authoritarian government is a core Liberal/Democrat agenda.
The only "free choices" they will not attack are the ones that would cost them the feminist votes while they attack any moral system that is rooted in most religions which tell you not to fuck for the fun of it.

I absolutely disagree with Bartlett`s (Liberal) idea that anyone who consumes more than "his share" of resources owes something to the rest of the world.
We all have to pay for what we consume and it would take nothing short of outright communism to strip us of the right to choose what we do with the money we earned.
But that`s what the Liberal`s "social justice" is all about, it boils down to eradicating the concept of ownership and replace it with a "wealth-redistribution"...which will benefit under developed/poorer countries so that they too can increase their rate of consumption and increase economic growth.

Overall Colorado`s Prof.Bartlett did point out the crux of the problem:
enon.png

Nobody can say for sure if there is a God or not, but we can be sure what the new God is, we created to fill the moral vacuum.
So first let`s stop the growth of government! ...instead of feeding this monster, like the Liberals want to.
There is no way we can curb the rest before we do that!

Last edited:
I've always supported strict border and immigration control, and building one mother of a wall. Cut off most immigration, and the USA quickly goes to zero population growth. No other population control measures are necessary.

The difference between me and the conservatives is that I see no need to demonize immigrants. The truth is simple enough, that we don't need more people.

Forum List

Back