Lockheed PAC-3 missile-defense system successful in demo

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
abm-patriot-pac-3-mse-white-sands-launch-hg.jpg

This really raises my blood pressure. I served at an Army Nike-Hercules battalion in the early 60s - a proven anti-missile/aircraft defense system. So, we lingered in limbo for decades until recently when it was decided we need to spend billions creating what we could've had all along as the systems were naturally updated and improved.

450px-MIM-14_Nike-Hercules_02.jpg

LBJ was president at the time. Enough said?

From Lockheed PAC-3 missile-defense system successful in demo

I wasn't aware Nike-Hercules was an anti-missile system. Follow-on Nike-Zeus and Nike-X systems were anti-missile test vehicles, but the Hercules?

abm-patriot-pac-3-mse-white-sands-launch-hg.jpg

This really raises my blood pressure. I served at an Army Nike-Hercules battalion in the early 60s - a proven anti-missile/aircraft defense system. So, we lingered in limbo for decades until recently when it was decided we need to spend billions creating what we could've had all along as the systems were naturally updated and improved.

450px-MIM-14_Nike-Hercules_02.jpg

LBJ was president at the time. Enough said?

From Lockheed PAC-3 missile-defense system successful in demo
New system is built to defend against ballistic missiles.

Nike Hercules never had that capability

I wasn't aware Nike-Hercules was an anti-missile system. Follow-on Nike-Zeus and Nike-X systems were anti-missile test vehicles, but the Hercules?
You're right. They were anti-aircraft systems. But, advancements over the years could've made them adaptable for anti-missile uses.

Forum List

Back