Loading The Nagasaki Bomb

Discussion in 'Military' started by bitterlyclingin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    yeah McNamara ran it. he told LBJ when to jump and how high.

2. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

No country "played the game of war" very nicely during that war.

An interesting question: Which is less likely to happen again, that a major power would use it's most powerful weapon in war or that a major power would wage total war like that seen in WWII?

At the level below 'major power' status the likelihood becomes much greater. Is it naive to think that acquiring the most powerful weapon by itself puts a nation into 'major power' status such that it imparts a certain degree of restraint (if such restraint actually exists among the major powers)?

3. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

Thank goodness they haven't been, or we'd have no country left at all by now.

4. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,408
    FDR is my hero because I lived through that period of history, and the historians simply agreeing with me, smart cookies. I wonder if the 238 noted American historians were aware of your charges against FDR, maybe letting them in on your history would help?
    Incidently the people that lived with me through that period also agreed with me on FDR's greatness and elected him four times. That's four times.
    As soon as Republicans were able, they got an amendment passed cementing FDR's record in the history books for a long time, if not forever. Then again maybe Republicans knew they could never get a Republican elected more than twice? In any case, thanks Republicans.
    The framers had discussed the length and terms of the executive at some length and decided to place no limits on the number of terms, but Republicans in their antiFDR zeal did.

5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

Really? How old were you during The Great Depression and WWII?

6. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,408
    Well different ages during the two periods. I can average it out for you if that would help?

7. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419
    How old in 1945 will do.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

No it wouldn't. That's ridiculous.

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

The war was quickly coming to an end for Japan one way or another. Of course they wanted to surrender on the most favorable possible terms ('sue for peace,' 'negotiate an end to the war,' whatever you want to call it). Unconditional surrender were the terms the US wanted, but not the only ones we had to accept. The bomb was - it turns out - the quickest way to end the war, though with shocking civilian casualties and dire moral consequences. A mass invasion of Honshu would have taken longer but would also have ended the war. A naval blockade and continued conventional bombing would have taken still longer but would also have resulted in an end to the war. Some people like to say "they would never have surrendered, NEVER!" as a way of avoiding the moral implications and long-term consequences of using the bomb, but the war was ending for Japan one way or another. They simply could not sustain the ability to wage war much longer. Their military was depleted, defeated, and decimated. The populace on the home islands was starving (to death) and more than disaffected at that point. It was coming to an end one way or another. The American public wanted the war over as soon as possible. The Russians were already set to gobble up as much real estate as they could (and visit who knows what 'retribution' for their humiliation in the Russo-Japanese war of years prior) the longer things dragged on. So, choices were made and results ensued, but those who would fall back on "we had no choice!" are being disingenuous.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,419

Unlikely.