Liver and Onions

It's not part of the gastrointestinal system, Huggy.

Tripe is guts.

Liver is an organ, though.

You'll eat a cows ass (a.k.a., a round roast) but you are disgusted by its liver.

You're not alone in that sentiment.

I expect you're no a big fan of goose pate, either, right?

No accounting for taste, I suppose.

i hate liver and onions... but i love chopped liver if its done right.

and pate is delicious if it's the really smooth kind. I have to just not think about how pate is made.

maybe it's a texture thing.

My dog will do tricks and put on big a show to get little pieces of deliciously cooked beef liver, but she won't eat the sauted onions under any circumstances. She is such a brat.
She's the taster, and says there are no poisons. Only good stuff.

My wife leaves to go shopping whenever I cook liver and onions.
I have a shopping list all prepared for her. Who's training who ?

Onions, garlic,macadamia nuts, grapes/raisins and artificial sweetners commonly used in sugarless candy are all toxic to dogs.

One article about what some of these foods contain that affects your pets. Human Foods that Poison Pets

Calf liver is hard to find, but it's best. Otherwise, sliced beef liver, the thinner the better. I try to avoid Mexican liver but sometimes that's all there is.

I rinse it off under running water, cut off and discard anything white or mushy looking, then cut into strips anywhere from 2-4 inches wide and however long.

Dredge in flour, salt, pepper. Put in frying pan with bacon grease and fry on med hi until all meat is browned on both sides. Take meat from the pan and set aside (it isn't done).

Cut up however many onions into rings, and put in bottom of pan with bacon grease and drippings on med hi and turn down. Brown both sides, put the meat back on top of the onions, put in enough water to cover the bottom 1/4-inch of the pan, cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes or so, turning the meat about halfway through and adding more water if the onions are sticking.

Serve the meat with the onions over.

Mmmm.

I don't eat it anymore, too high in cholesterol and I make it too high in sodium. When I did make it:

Rinse well in water, pat dry.
Dredge in well seasoned flour-salt & pepper.
Pan fry in oil.

Tons of bacon
and grilled onions!

Mashed potatoes, peas & carrots.

I don't eat it any more either, but when I did I used calf's liver and since you are making bacon, fry the liver in the bacon fat left from cooking the bacon instead of using oil.

In real life I always here "ewww" when I mention this delicacy ... and worse still very few restaurants prepare it. What are your favorite ways to prepare it, if you enjoy it as well?

Mine is grill the liver slowly until well done but not dry, seasoned with paprika and garlic. Sear it with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Toss in the onion (usually diced) just before it's done to keep the a tiny bit crunchy still.

Serve with a side dish of grilled bell peppers and sautéed mushrooms in a sauce that is 1/4 cup Worcestershire and a table spoon sugar until caramelized.
I used to love liver and onions but I haven't had it in a while. I only know of one restaurant that has it on the menu and that's way out in the sticks.

You should go to the Veneto region of Italy, it's a specialty of that area. People go crazy for it there.

In real life I always here "ewww" when I mention this delicacy ... and worse still very few restaurants prepare it. What are your favorite ways to prepare it, if you enjoy it as well?

Mine is grill the liver slowly until well done but not dry, seasoned with paprika and garlic. Sear it with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Toss in the onion (usually diced) just before it's done to keep the a tiny bit crunchy still.

Serve with a side dish of grilled bell peppers and sautéed mushrooms in a sauce that is 1/4 cup Worcestershire and a table spoon sugar until caramelized.
I used to love liver and onions but I haven't had it in a while. I only know of one restaurant that has it on the menu and that's way out in the sticks.

You should go to the Veneto region of Italy, it's a specialty of that area. People go crazy for it there.

The European blood is strong in me I guess. I wish I could afford to move there ... I'll learn Italian just for the privilege.

Icky, yuck and pooey!
Liver is an organ, that filters the blood, so no thanks. yuck

Attachments

• $carey_gag.gif
    $carey_gag.gif
    834.8 KB · Views: 89
The Liver does carry the poisons of the body, and Calves liver had much less of those poisons than the grown cow.... of course, no one knew this when I was a child and liver and onions was the bomb! :)

My father, since he has had cancer, is forbidden to eat it.

As a girl, my body seemed to yearn eating Liver around, 'that time of the month', like clockwork, the body told me I needed some iron, and nothing is more loaded than liver!

Forum List

Back