Lightbulbs - Say It Ain't So!

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
My dad told me that in 2012 they are going to stop producing incandescent lightbulbs and only make fluorescent ones. Please tell me he is wrong.

My dad told me that in 2012 they are going to stop producing incandescent lightbulbs and only make fluorescent ones. Please tell me he is wrong.

How does he feel about being called a liar and is he big ?

Misinformed perhaps but . . . . liar??? :( He's nearly 86 Dill!

they can still hurt ya-----I heard something to that effect awhile back too but I can't be certain. Guess who controls the flourescent lighting market ????

The US does not produce ANY of the new kind of Light Bulbs, they are obtained from China.

And it is not just fluorescence, it is the new bulbs that use less energy to produce the same brightness and save on electricity. Of course what they fail to mention is they are so toxic you are not supposed to just throw them away.

The US does not produce ANY of the new kind of Light Bulbs, they are obtained from China.

And it is not just fluorescence, it is the new bulbs that use less energy to produce the same brightness and save on electricity. Of course what they fail to mention is they are so toxic you are not supposed to just throw them away.

Or break them!!! Which we did on the first batch we bought....broke 2 by accident, directions say you gotta clean it up real good, put in plastic bag and seal, wash your clothes if they got any of the mercury on them yah dee dah.......

and on top of all of this, i hate the fluorescent lights, they just are too white, icey feeling when using them.

I am buying up 40 watt and 60 watt incandescent ones so we can use those until the new LED lights are out in the market place in mass....

I heard the same, and FWIW, I'm of the opinion that those twisty bulbs are not long for this world either.

Technology is moving mighty fast in this field.

I heard the same, and FWIW, I'm of the opinion that those twisty bulbs are not long for this world either.

Let's hope they come up with something better soon. Florescent bulbs hurt my eyes more.

Let's hope they come up with something better soon. Florescent bulbs hurt my eyes more.

I'm informed that LED lighting is close to becoming a viable alternative to florescent and incandescent lighting.

We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

LEDlighting is not only much much much more efficeient but the bulbs last (agains, so I am informed) HUNDREDS OF TIMES longer than the best bulbs we have today.

We already use these LED systems in flashlights, and they seem to work, okay.

A bit more improvement and I suspect they'll entirely replace what we use today.

Guess I've been living in a cave cause this is the first I"ve heard of it. Glad to know I'm not the only one that hates those fluorescent lights. I absolutely refuse to buy them. They have them on a floor display right in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store; WTF?? Like someone won't crash into them (hope it's not me, I've crashed into displays before). Think I'll stock up on regular bulbs from the dollar store (have to find a dollar store). I hate to admit this and hate the fact that I buy a GE product - but I really like GE's Reveal bulbs. Gives off a really nice light. Maybe the dollar store has them.

Here Read:

Mercury leaks found as new bulbs break / Boston Globe.

--broken CFL bulb = dangerous dust/vapor = 100x federal chronic exposure level (there is no federal acute exposure level)

Forum List

Back