Light, Sun, and the Eye in Genesis

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Amazing how closely the first chapter of the Old Testament conforms to current scientific understanding of the origins of the earth. First “Let there be light…” Big Bang…explosion….energy….light.

a. “The formation of the sea as well as the land is chosen as the second stage in the creation on the Bible’s first page. Modern science reveals that land and sea certainly were in place before the next stage in the scientific account of the history of the universe.” Parker, “The Genesis Enigma,” p.54.
What a coincidence….or confluence.

b. Fossils of cyanobacteria as old as 3,600 million years old have been found, early bacterium evolving a molecule that could use the energy of the sun’s rays to gain electrons from water: it could ‘photosynthesize.’ And the life mentioned next in Genesis? Grass, herbs and fruit trees are plants.

2. Problem: if there was light “in the beginning,” why is the sun specified again later?

a. Genesis 14-19: And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

3. Leave that for a moment, and go back to science’s timeline. Dr. Andrew Parker, Oxford zoologist, wrote “ ‘In the Blink of an Eye’, [in which he] proposes that the Cambrian Explosion, the sudden diversification in animal fossil forms at the start of the Cambrian Era, was due to the development of the vision faculty and the consequent intensification of predation.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Parker_(zoologist)

4. Charles Darwin, in a section of “On The Origin of Species” called ‘Organs of Extreme Perfection and Complication,’ wrote: “To suppose that the eye …could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree." Cretinism or Evilution?: An Old, Out of Context Quotation

5. “Slotting a lens into the body of adigital SLR camera, complete with its light sensing array, and connecting the camer to a computer for image processing, one is reminded of the human visual system….For such an eye to evolve, all three must evolve independently, and simultaneously.”
Parker, “The Genesis Enigma,” p. 108.

6. Eyes may be either chamber or compound type, both of which produce an image on the retina. Simple light sensors do not. The first eye evolved in a soft-bodied trilobite, some 521 million years ago. The Evolutionary Arms Race - Examples Among Trilobites and The eyes have it | COSMOS magazine

7. The development of eyes effectively turned on the lights for living things. Suddenly it seems prescient for the author of the creation account in Genesis to add the emphasis of verses 14-19.

Seems that Genesis remains parallel with the scientifically correct sequence of events in the history of life; it highlights, pun intended, the most dramatic innovation of life.
See chapter 5 of Parker, Op. Cit.

Again…first signs of life, 3,900 million years ago; first photosynthetic organisms, 3,600 million years ago; eye-equipped trilobites, 521 million years ago.
Coordinates well with the book of Genesis.

Redundant thread! In case you've forgotten, you already made another thread arguing the exact same thing. Funny that you ridiculed me for the same thing that you are guilty of. Is there any integrity in you, or are you so needy that integrity has gone out the window? This behavioral trait seems common among Christian conservatives.

Redundant thread! In case you've forgotten, you already made another thread arguing the exact same thing. Funny that you ridiculed me for the same thing that you are guilty of. Is there any integrity in you, or are you so needy that integrity has gone out the window? This behavioral trait seems common among Christian conservatives.
"Whiney Asshole" seems like a common behavioral trait among Self Centered Atheists who can't argue the facts presented in a thread.

"Redundant thread! In case you've forgotten, you already made another thread arguing the exact same thing."

Not so.

You should learn to pay more attention to detail.

The very important element new to this thread was the importance of the 'eye.'
Read again:

3. Leave that for a moment, and go back to science’s timeline. Dr. Andrew Parker, Oxford zoologist, wrote “ ‘In the Blink of an Eye’, [in which he] proposes that the Cambrian Explosion, the sudden diversification in animal fossil forms at the start of the Cambrian Era, was due to the development of the vision faculty and the consequent intensification of predation.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Parker_(zoologist)

4. Charles Darwin, in a section of “On The Origin of Species” called ‘Organs of Extreme Perfection and Complication,’ wrote: “To suppose that the eye …could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree." Cretinism or Evilution?: An Old, Out of Context Quotation

5. “Slotting a lens into the body of adigital SLR camera, complete with its light sensing array, and connecting the camer to a computer for image processing, one is reminded of the human visual system….For such an eye to evolve, all three must evolve independently, and simultaneously.”
Parker, “The Genesis Enigma,” p. 108.

6. Eyes may be either chamber or compound type, both of which produce an image on the retina. Simple light sensors do not. The first eye evolved in a soft-bodied trilobite, some 521 million years ago. The Evolutionary Arms Race - Examples Among Trilobites and The eyes have it | COSMOS magazine

"Funny that you ridiculed me for the same thing that you are guilty of."

I've ridiculed you in so very many ways,... how kind of your to recall specific humiliations.

BTW....try not to end a sentence with a preposition.

Now if you were witty, you might retort with Churchill's rejoinder when reminded of same: "That is one rule up with which I will not put!"

He was witty...you, only half so.

"Is there any integrity in you,...."
Wait...let me check.
Oh...yes, there is.

"This behavioral trait seems common among Christian conservatives."
Now...stop this bragging!
You know very well that no conservative, Christian or otherwise, would every admit to be acquainted with you.

Now be careful!
I don’t have a license to kill, but I do have a learners’ permit.

"Whiney Asshole" seems like a common behavioral trait among Self Centered Atheists who can't argue the facts presented in a thread.

You mean the "facts" she presented in another thread to illustrate a near identical argument? Your an idiot, like the rest of your politico-religious cult.

You mean the "facts" she presented in another thread to illustrate a near identical argument? Your an idiot, like the rest of your politico-religious cult.

Pssssttt....."Your an idiot,..."

You mean "You're an idiot...."

Posting the way you did....guess who appears to be the idiot?

So argue your point "Soy Boi". That is, if you even have one! :lol:

Lol!! Ahhh... so funny, you are. You want me to restate the fact that this thread is largely redundant? And around we go...

Last edited:

Lol!! Ahhh... so funny, you are. You want me to restate the fact that this thread is largely redundant? And around we go...

"You want me to restate the fact that this thread is largely redundant?"

But, earlier you said:
"Redundant thread! In case you've forgotten, you already made another thread arguing the exact same thing."

Now, jot this down for future reference:

large·ly
/ˈlärjlē/
Adverb
To a great extent; on the whole; mostly.

ex·act·ly
/igˈzaktlē/
Adverb
Without discrepancy (used to emphasize the accuracy of a figure or description).
In exact terms; without vagueness.

Oh...and one more thing: you can stop announcing at the drive-through that your order is “to go.”

:dig:politico-religious cult:dig:

How could one desirous of being called 'Iridescence" not be drawn to a thread about the sun, the eye, and light....

Deliciously befitting.

I wonder if you could explain the emoticons reference?
:eusa_angel: Kinda thought I'd warn newpolitics that such presumptuous labeling is as digging irretrievable depths.

Labeling the christian right as "political' and 'religious' is presumptuous? Interesting. That's exactly what they are. "Cult" was an obvious pejorative, but again, accurate.

"You want me to restate the fact that this thread is largely redundant?"

But, earlier you said:

Now, jot this down for future reference:

large·ly
/ˈlärjlē/
Adverb
To a great extent; on the whole; mostly.

ex·act·ly
/igˈzaktlē/
Adverb
Without discrepancy (used to emphasize the accuracy of a figure or description).
In exact terms; without vagueness.

Oh...and one more thing: you can stop announcing at the drive-through that your order is “to go.”

Hey, you know what? I realized that you were right. You are arguing some stupid bullshit about the eye in this thread, so it couldn't be exactly the same as your other thread , so I changed my wording to "largely redundant" when I found this out. I am reflexive to new information, something apparently completely foreign to you.

1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4: And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5: And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6: And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7: And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8: And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9: And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10: And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
11: And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12: And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
13: And the evening and the morning were the third day.
14: And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16: And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17: And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

Genesis, from The holy Bible, King James version

So, land, sea, plants, and then the sun and the moon? hmmmm................................

2: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
4: And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5: And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6: And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7: And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8: And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9: And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10: And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
11: And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12: And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
14: And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16: And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17: And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

So, land, sea, plants, and then the sun and the moon? hmmmm................................

How very nice of you to provide this inspiring sermon on a Sunday morning!

As for the idea that there was light prior to your red-higlighted note...
your answer is here:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/science-and-technology/277042-genesis-correlates-with-science.html

Last edited:

Yeah but comon, you can't argue that God making Eve out of Adam's rib doesn't correlate perfectly with science.

Forum List

Back